Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #1

First time Travel Trailer owner:

Hi Everyone, I'm George and I am the proud owner of a 2012 Surveyor Sport Travel Trailer by Forest River. This is my first trailer, I was a truck camper owner for about a year prior (1969 Coachman) and that was an upgrade from a Dome Tent. So needless to say I am way over my head and extremely nervous. I was given a demo class on this trailer and then could not take it home because I needed a whole new hitch mounted under my truck after finding my existing one frozen inside it. So now I have everything all set and 5 days later got to bring home my trailer. Of course I have now forgotten everything they have said, to do and not to do. I am struggling with owner manuals that are not really complete because I bought it used. Its very exciting and horribly scary all at the same time. I don't remember how the red light in the bathroom works, or how to fill hot water heater, or if I should even use heater now. I don't have propane on, and I turned the red light on thinking that's what I was supposed to do. Now I can hear this low rumble motor noise, doesn't sound loud enough to be the water pump. I remember what that sounded like. But I wasn't sure if you could hear the water heater working. I finally shut off the red light and the noise stopped after I couldn't find where noise was coming from. Hopefully I haven't broken my new favorite toy. I guess if I did burn it up I can just not use it, I have never had running working water before, just a bummer I have had it home for two hours and now something is broken if it is. Help Please, all constructive criticism is very welcome.
George19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #2

First, welcome!

Second, chill out. It's only scary the first go around. After that it's old hat.

Third, don't worry, we've got you.

The water heater fills when you turn the water pump on or connect a hose to the outside connection. Turn on the hot faucet, you're running water through the heater.

Now, if your trailer was winterized, then the heater could be in bypass. Depending on your exact design it may be different from this pic, but it will make it clearer I hope. You want your heater in normal use.

That rumble motor noise was actually the propane burner running and no, you didn't hurt anything. Once you confirm the heater is in normal mode, open the hot water faucet and make sure there's no air, if there's air just leave it open. It only takes 20 seconds of solid water to confirm this. Now, flip the switch on again. Give it about ten minutes and open the hot water faucet. It won't be max hot then, but you should have warm water. Depending on the heater size it usually takes about 30 minutes to fully heat and shut off automatically. Did they mention if it has electric heating also? If the water heater has electric also make sure not to run that while the tank is dry as that will burn the element up, but on propane there's not much to get hurt in the time you ran it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George19 View Post
I don't remember how the red light in the bathroom works, or how to fill hot water heater, or if I should even use heater now. I don't have propane on, and I turned the red light on thinking that's what I was supposed to do. Now I can hear this low rumble motor noise, doesn't sound loud enough to be the water pump. I remember what that sounded like.
George, is the red light in the loo not labelled? If you didn't have the gas (propane) on, it's unlikely that you were hearing the hot water heater. Even though you'd heard it previously, I suspect you were listening to your water pump. SKnight is spot on - relax and learn.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, trailer, travel, travel trailer