Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
brand-new full-timer

first-timer full-timers! 2015 Columbus 385BH

Hi!

We just bought our used 5th wheel, mentioned above. I am COMPLETELY new to this! We are getting accustomed to living in it, as last night was our first night.

My fiancé is a farrier and he works with thoroughbred racehorses, which has us between New York in the summer (Belmont Park Racetrack, Saratoga Race Course) and Florida in the winter. My in-laws are retiring, and we’re now traveling between 2 NY tracks which, if you rent, can be EXTREMELY costly... staying in Saratoga for the 6-week meet alone can cost over 10k. They’ve done the RV thing for years, and broke down our savings. So we bit the bullet and began our search. Me and my MIL went to an RV show and although we knew we weren’t going to buy new, I saw this model (palomino) and fell in love. So I started looking in NY, and came across our 2015. Instantly called the dealer. Had a W/D installed and they would deliver for us. We arrived yesterday from our drive up from Florida. It is PERFECT! The dealer leveled it and hooked everything up for us (although our door won’t stay completely shut so I’m thinking it’s slightly off!) and we opened her up and gave all of our family members a virtual tour via FaceTime! It’s such a huge change for me, but what an adventure this will be!

I’m looking forward to interacting with many of you because we already have a smoke alarm issue, but that’s for another thread...

I’m so excited, I can barely contain my excitement!
laurlaur576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

Congratulations, it is an incredible journey!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio .
Old 05-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
bloodybill

welcome to the forum
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:18 AM   #5

Welcome from Texas!
We've met many people who live full time in an rv because their work has them traveling to different parts of the country.
Good luck!
Old 05-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Congratulations, it is an incredible journey!
Thanks! Looking forward to the adventure!
Old 05-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
Welcome from SW Ohio .
Thank you so much!
Old 05-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODYBILL View Post
welcome to the forum
Thanks Bill!
Old 05-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Welcome from Texas!
We've met many people who live full time in an rv because their work has them traveling to different parts of the country.
Good luck!
Yes it is definitely a change for us, but it’s exciting and we’re excited about this adventure!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #10

Welcome, recently purchased a Columbus also; ours is set up permanently at our lake property. Last weekend the pantry door would close but not latch...hit the magic Auto Level button and couple of seconds later, door latched. Told wife pantry door was our new need level indicator.

Love the unit thus far...enjoy!
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #11
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake5er View Post
Welcome, recently purchased a Columbus also; ours is set up permanently at our lake property. Last weekend the pantry door would close but not latch...hit the magic Auto Level button and couple of seconds later, door latched. Told wife pantry door was our new need level indicator.

Love the unit thus far...enjoy!
I want to do this so bad but I’m afraid I’ll tip the whole darn thing over! That’s todays project when my fiancé gets home from work. Thanks for the tip!!!!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #12

I also had some trepidation, but all it did was make small adjustments to get it back to level. Took a total of maybe two seconds and we were good. I turned on the unit from the outside switch and pushed the Auto Level button on controller inside. They say just to make sure you are not moving around when activated.
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:26 AM   #13
brand-new full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake5er View Post
I also had some trepidation, but all it did was make small adjustments to get it back to level. Took a total of maybe two seconds and we were good. I turned on the unit from the outside switch and pushed the Auto Level button on controller inside. They say just to make sure you are not moving around when activated.
I haven’t done this yet, but I’m thanking you in advance for this! We’ve been using our Tide Pods jar while we’re in the room to keep it closed, and I’ve been sticking the snap in between the gap of the door and the wall to hold it closed when not occupied. Thanks again!!!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 01:01 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurlaur576 View Post
Hi!

I am COMPLETELY new to this!

Welcome aboard laurlaur576. Since you said you are new to this, then this thread link below may help you out somewhat as it has information on a lot of things that first timers may need to know.

Hope it helps

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:31 AM   #15

Welcome ! And the best of luck in your travels
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #16

Welcome from the Susquehanna Valley of NY. Enjoy the new to you rig. You'll learn all you need as you go along, and don't worry about making a mistake, they're rarely fatal. God Bless, Ken
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus