Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 02:45 AM   #1

G'day USA

Hi, I've just been reading some blogs and got some useful info from them so I thought I'd join.

We are Australians (but with Canadain citizenship) and bought a 20ft Adventurer 2006 Motorhome in Calagary, Canada, 4 years ago and finished our 4th trip last month. We stored the Motorhome in Sacramento and flew back home and will be back for our 5th and probably final trip in April. We've had a great time, done the loop, all the way around, from BC to Ca to Fl then up to Canada, Newfoundland and across, about 35 states (I've lost count) and 8 provinces and most of the fabulous national parks and met some great people. But, it's time to see more of Aust. and because of your stronger greenback is getting more expensive for us.
(Hey, you guys should come down here. For your greenback you'll get almost $1.20 Aussie dollars today, compared with last year you would have got only $0.95.)

I want to ask some questions about how to go about selling a Canadian registered Motorhome in the US when I'm not a US or Canadian resident. I suppose it means importing a Vehicle into the US. What are the requirements to do so. I guess the welcome Mat isnt the right place to do it.

Regards, Kanga
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #2

You can call a dealer and ask, they may be able to help. If it is in Sacramento Calf. I don't think you have to do anything but put it on the market. Shouldn't make any difference where your from. Call Sac's DMV dept, I'm sure they can answer your question.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #3

I don't think you will be able to just sell the MH in the US. Like you said you would have to import it into the US (I don't think you would be able to do this because you are not a citizen of the US) or whoever buys it will have to transfer the title from Alberta to what ever state you sell it in. You can try looking on the US boarder security sight they have some very good information on importing vehicles. If it was a towable I think it would be easier than a MH.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #4

Thanks for your replies, I think you're both right. We dropped into an RV show in Oregon and I asked a dealer. He said they have bought Canadian vehicles but would rather not. I'm just not sure if I'd need to be a resident of the US or maybe even Canada. I didn't ask.

The web sites of DOT and EPA don't go into specifics about not being a resident and selling the vehicle, rather than it being part of your possessions. There was a time ownership restriction, I think. It would need to be compliant for emission etc. which it should be being a GMC engine. Also, I guess, things like the speedo would need to be converted from Kms to Mls etc. etc.

When in Sun Valley, Id, I was approached by a bloke who was interested in buying it after our next trip. It would be good to sell it privately. Are there any other Canucks out there who may have been through this. I remember when I lived in Canada many years ago there was a bit of buying and selling vehicles in the US to take advantage of the exchange rate.

Another question, as the seller are there state taxes to be paid. If so, would it be better to sell it in say Oregon where there is no sales tax. How much are the taxes, if any.

Thanks guys
Old 12-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
Hi, I've just been reading some blogs and got some useful info from them so I thought I'd join.

We are Australians (but with Canadain citizenship) and bought a 20ft Adventurer 2006 Motorhome in Calagary, Canada, 4 years ago and finished our 4th trip last month. We stored the Motorhome in Sacramento and flew back home and will be back for our 5th and probably final trip in April. We've had a great time, done the loop, all the way around, from BC to Ca to Fl then up to Canada, Newfoundland and across, about 35 states (I've lost count) and 8 provinces and most of the fabulous national parks and met some great people. But, it's time to see more of Aust. and because of your stronger greenback is getting more expensive for us.

(Hey, you guys should come down here. For your greenback you'll get almost $1.20 Aussie dollars today, compared with last year you would have got only $0.95.)

I want to ask some questions about how to go about selling a Canadian registered Motorhome in the US when I'm not a US or Canadian resident. I suppose it means importing a Vehicle into the US. What are the requirements to do so. I guess the welcome Mat isnt the right place to do it.

Regards, Kanga

Visited about 2 years ago. I have to say that your Caravan parks put most of those in the USA to shame. Rented caravans in Perth and Broom. Had a great time. Need to visit again, such a big country and so little time.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Anacortesians

Kanga:

Yes, there are sales taxes on used vehicles in the majority of states, but they're paid by the buyer, not the seller (in most states). Here in Washington State (top LH corner) it's around 8%, varying slightly by county and city add-ons. When we bought our MH four years ago, I think the total hit was around $3300 on a $38,000 purchase.

I have relatives in Australia (we're ex-pat Brits). Three female cousins emigrated there from the town of Leyland. Two of them are married and I don't know their current surnames, but the eldest is Sheila Damp and she's a solo (I think) RVer. If you ever come across her, please mention my name. Her Dad and mine were cousins and he was born in Australia.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:47 AM   #7

Will do Frank, still, there are 23 million of us but more and more retirees are becoming Grey Nomads so I'd say chances are slim.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip Ron and Sue, it's a long way 14 hour flight from LAX but if you can sleep on the plane then it's not so bad, or else, watch about 6 movies on the flight! And you guys did another 5 hours going to Western Aust.

We have a lot in common, the 2 countries are a similar size, the lower 48 that is, but where you can criss cross the US, it's going to be pretty hard going to do that in Aus. You'll need a reliable 4x4 and carry plenty of provisions and spare parts, it would be fun though! Hope I do soon. We have an off- road caravan here.

Then again, you can stick the the beaches, I think we've got you on that, bring a fishing rod, make that a surf rod, get a tinnie (that's a dingy) and a caravan (that's a trailer) and a surf board if that's your style! The water's warmer, surf bigger, there's the Great Barrier Reef, Frazer Island (the world's largest sand island, you drive on the beach) and some great beaches.

See ya

Regards, Kanga