Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Generator For my 228 Tent Camper

I just bought a new Flagstaff 228 pop-up and we will be using it at Yellowstone. They don't have electrical connections where we will be staying. So, I will be buying a generator for daytime use (charging and such) I had a few questions: I called the factory and he wasn't much help...

1. I am looking at a Briggs and Stratton 3500 watt generator and I was told this would be fine for my camper. (the factory guy thought it would be as well but wasn't 100%) This model produces a modified sine wave and it is supposedly designed for RV's Will there be any issues with this model? (I am not planning on using this at night just day use)

2. Should I get a larger model? Everywhere I read ...3500 running watts seems to be just fine (W=VA tells me this model is capable of the 30 AMPS required )

Any thought would be greatly appreciated...

Mike
MichaelM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

3500 watts is about 29.1 amps.
Should fit your needs.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #3

Thanks. I knew the capacity would be okay...I was just curious if the power from this type of generator (modified sine wave) would be acceptable. (I think it is but I am not 100% certain)
Old 02-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't think you will be allowed to use that at Yellowstone. It will be very loud and does not appear to have a USFS approved spark arrestor muffler. You need to determine you power demand ( AC, WH, Lights, heat etc) then look at something like the Yamaha or Honda 2000 . If you need the AC you will need two in parallel.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

You don't say when you'll be in Yellowstone. I've been there twice in mid-June and it snowed both times. Unless you're there in July/August you probably won't need your AC.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I just bought a new Flagstaff 228 pop-up and we will be using it at Yellowstone. They don't have electrical connections where we will be staying. So, I will be buying a generator for daytime use (charging and such) I had a few questions: I called the factory and he wasn't much help...

1. I am looking at a Briggs and Stratton 3500 watt generator and I was told this would be fine for my camper. (the factory guy thought it would be as well but wasn't 100%) This model produces a modified sine wave and it is supposedly designed for RV's Will there be any issues with this model? (I am not planning on using this at night just day use)

2. Should I get a larger model? Everywhere I read ...3500 running watts seems to be just fine (W=VA tells me this model is capable of the 30 AMPS required )

Any thought would be greatly appreciated...

Mike
IMHO, these generators are not really meant for camping...unless you're all alone in the middle of no where.
They are way too noisy.
You should get a Honda or Yamaha 2000...very reliable and QUIET.
Your neighbors will thank you.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

We will be there in July...may not need airconditioner but we might. The campground we are staying at does not have any hookups at all...no 30 a/c connections and we will be there for 8 nights. The battery simply wont make it that long...no way.

Because there are no hookups many people do use generators during the day...I stayed there 2 years ago (in a tent) and lots of people used generators during the day.

Generators are only allowed during the day only. I would only run mine enough to charge the batteries.

I should be able to run everything off of 25 amps...I rand the AC and a few other things in my driveway off of a 20 circuit.

I can't find any regulations on "USFS approved spark arrestor muffler" for Yellowstone anywhere and I looked in several places...the only regulations I could find are concerning the hours you can use a generator.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #8

Quote fs.fed.us : " Internal combustion engines operating on USDA Forest Service and most other federally managed lands must meet the requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations 36 CFR 261.52. This mandate requires the operator to have a certified and properly maintained spark arrestor installed at all times."

Just because you didn't find it, doesn't negate the law. How they determine it is by an over 600 page document that lists all brands, makes, and models of combustion engine with an exact part number of the arrestor required.

Nearly all State managed lands also defer to the Federal requirements.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #9

but do they not have a 60db law for national parks?

albeit along with the whole spark arrestor issue, its probably not going to be an issue unless you piss off someone, but a generator like that is north of the 70db range

The generator will do what you need, but it may not do it legally by any means

I would also suggest looking into an inverter generator, much quieter and easier on fuel, though the initial hit on the wallet hurts!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #10

Others on this forum have talked of this unit and it's value.

Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041K09D8..._k9S2ub00FC0C3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041K09D8..._k9S2ub00FC0C3

You can get two for the price of a Honda. Before buying though, see if there is a repair place in your area just in case.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
but do they not have a 60db law for national parks?
Not that I am aware of.. nor do I think it would be very enforceable without specialized equipment. That's not to say that if a ranger/warden doesn't like your genset, it is well within his authority to tell you to shut it off or even boot you from the area.

It's kind of self regulating though. Excessively loud gensets are typically the "construction" types. They typically don't have spark arrestors, so they are illegal to use in most nearly all State and Federally operated lands.

Privately owned CG's can set their own rules, so if they "say" it's too loud.. that's that.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
...unless you're all alone in the middle of no where.
I would be even more concerned in that situation. You never know when you are truly "alone" out in the boonies. Folks that enjoy private camping are generally less tolerant of generators and there is a lot of "peer regulation" that goes on.

You are much more likely to have a neighbor you may be unaware of report you for using a construction type generator.. or worse.. wake up to cut pull strings or power cords.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #13

Quote:
nor do I think it would be very enforceable without specialized equipment
Here's a sound meter for 30 bucks:

72-935 - TENMA - METER, SOUND LEVEL, 40-130DB, 3.5DB | Newark element14

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #14

I have the Champion 2000 watt, and my buddy has two. We've run them quite a bit. Very happy and $500 each. They see occasional use, not heavy regular use. As quiet as the Honda in economy mode, very slightly louder at full load. Just my experience.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I should be able to run everything off of 25 amps...I rand the AC and a few other things in my driveway off of a 20 circuit.
Thanks
The AC might start and run on a 20A circuit as it is starting with no head. The second time it tries to start it will most likely trip the breaker. It is also hard on the compressor.

Although the ranger might not go around checking for spark arrestors, if your loud generator attracts attention or complaints then a missing arrestor is a valid reason to have its use banned.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #16

Okay, first off thanks for all of the info and advise. I have done a ton of research over the last 24 hours.

I called Briggs and Stratton 2 times and the unit I am looking at definitely has a approved spark arrestor. In fact it is geared / marked towards RV camping. (it has a specific dedicated RV 30 amp plug, separate 30 amp breaker and it even has a different muffler designed to be a bit more quieter.) There is even a video which shows how to replace the spark arrestor if needed.

There is a government publication that address noise level in campgrounds, but it concludes that there is no longer a major issue associated with generators anymore and that a specific noise standard is NOT preferred and that there should NOT be a "standard" noise level established for generators. Here is the link...http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfimage/92231301.pdf

Next, I called Yellowstone and spoke to a senior ranger and I explained everything I was trying to do, what I was looking to buy and etc. She laughed a little when I started talking about the DB levels of generators..."well, I can assure you that we don't go around with DB meters in our trucks testing generators" She, told me generators were not near the problem they used to be...even the so called "construction" style. She told me if it were here she would buy the much less expensive Briggs and Stratton and that it would NOT be a problem. I thanked here for her time and advise...asked a few more unrelated questions and that was it.

That is what I am going to do...buy this newer model Briggs unit that is made for RV camping and save a lot of money.

I do appreciate everyone's help...I certainly know more about generators than I ever thought I would...

Michael

Tags
camper, generator, tent camper