Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
Rom

Genral Purpose Duct Tape on Heater Vent Lines ?

We recently purchased a 2019 2507S Rockwood. Brought it home and were running the heater to break it in. I did expect the new heater odor for awhile but it was stronger and longer lasting than our previous trailer. Out of curiosity I opened the cabinets to view the heater and lines. I found general purpose duct tape installed on all of the connections. No - not the silver HVAC foil tape. Standard grey sticky duct tape. I thought this was odd and techs at the dealership agreed they thought it was.

My dealer and I have contacted Rockwood requesting this be corrected (sent them photos). Rockwood operations representatives have informed us this is standard practice as they are using it as a screw scrim for screw retention in the ducts.

I'm still uncomfortable with it. Our previous 2019 Rockwood had no duct tape on the connections.... only the HVAC tape. My question is simply if anyone on the forum has had any issues with the duct tape there? Have enough of you seen this on your trailers so that I can believe it is truly common and not an issue?

Thanks
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
We recently purchased a 2019 2507S Rockwood. Brought it home and were running the heater to break it in. I did expect the new heater odor for awhile but it was stronger and longer lasting than our previous trailer. Out of curiosity I opened the cabinets to view the heater and lines. I found general purpose duct tape installed on all of the connections. No - not the silver HVAC foil tape. Standard grey sticky duct tape. I thought this was odd and techs at the dealership agreed they thought it was.

My dealer and I have contacted Rockwood requesting this be corrected (sent them photos). Rockwood operations representatives have informed us this is standard practice as they are using it as a screw scrim for screw retention in the ducts.

I'm still uncomfortable with it. Our previous 2019 Rockwood had no duct tape on the connections.... only the HVAC tape. My question is simply if anyone on the forum has had any issues with the duct tape there? Have enough of you seen this on your trailers so that I can believe it is truly common and not an issue?

Thanks

A "screw scrim"? is that what they said? What kind of BS is that? What bodily opening did the tech. pull that phrase from? There's no such thing as screw scrim. I've been in the commercial HVAC business for 40+ years and that's wrong. The flex has a wire helix molded into the vinyl. Screws should engage that wire, then use duct tape to seal it. The foil tape is better longevity as it stands up better to the heat, especially right off the furnace but regular duct tape will last quite awhile.

New energy codes in residential and commercial construction don't allow use of tape at all, we have to seal the inner duct with liquid sealer and tape the outer vapor barrier.

I'm assuming you are referring to the peel and stick foil tape when you say "HVAC tape" correct?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
Rom

HVAC Tape

"I'm assuming you are referring to the peel and stick foil tape when you say "HVAC tape" correct?"

Correct - I was expecting some version of that. There could be some underneath the grey duct tape but I see no evidence of it.

Thanks for the reply. My dealer may fix it for us as they seem to think it's not right either and have been supportive. They offered already if I would tow it up there but it's a 2 hour haul. I was hoping for better response from Forest River.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
"I'm assuming you are referring to the peel and stick foil tape when you say "HVAC tape" correct?"

Correct - I was expecting some version of that. There could be some underneath the grey duct tape but I see no evidence of it.

Thanks for the reply. My dealer may fix it for us as they seem to think it's not right either and have been supportive. They offered already if I would tow it up there but it's a 2 hour haul. I was hoping for better response from Forest River.
I just re-did the heat ducting in my TT in order to get rid of three unnecessary 90's in the longest duct (down to 2 - 90's now). Found the same duct tape and two sheet metal screws holding the ducting on to the outlet.

After two years and lots of furnace use, the duct tape was still pretty much in it's original state. Adhesive was still sticky, backing still flexible.

I replaced it with adhesive back aluminum tape. I like to keep a roll of that in the supply drawer for all kinds of emergency repairs. Sits right alongside a roll of Gorilla Tape.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, vent