Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #1

Getting rid of STUFF and go full timing

Hi all, my wife and I are having trouble getting rid of our stuff mainly furniture. Most is basically new, and not out of style. We figured maybe because of the holidays? I also have a Dodge Charger and a Harley to sell. Nothing seems to be moving. It seems they want it for nothing.
Any help sure would be appreciated. We have not put the house up for sale yet but need to. Did not want to sell the house and be stuck with furniture. I do know we want out of here yesterday.
Inspectorslg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectorslg View Post
Hi all, my wife and I are having trouble getting rid of our stuff mainly furniture. Most is basically new, and not out of style. We figured maybe because of the holidays? I also have a Dodge Charger and a Harley to sell. Nothing seems to be moving. It seems they want it for nothing.
Any help sure would be appreciated. We have not put the house up for sale yet but need to. Did not want to sell the house and be stuck with furniture. I do know we want out of here yesterday.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news for you, but used home goods hold their value worse than RV's and Cars. Even "basically new" furniture is probably worth less than half of what you paid for it.

As for your Charger and Harley.....I know Carmax buys, and sometimes their number will surprise you. The Harley, you might have to wait until the weather breaks on the majority of the country for it to be in season. Not many motorcycle buyers in January.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
That just seems to be the way the world is today.
I've noticed the last few things I've sold, I couldn't get what I wanted.
Old rule of thumb seemed to be... it should be worth 1/2 of what a new one cost if it was in good shape. Now, it seems pennies on the dollar.

In the end, you are going to have to determine what it's going to cost you to keep it -vs- selling for what you can get.

Good luck, we are starting down the same path in a couple years.
I have a LOT of stuff (buildings full) that I worked hard to pay for. I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be to let it all go.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #4

Selling

I usually put stuff I want sold, on Facebook, locally. There is usually a "for sale" page for your city, town, neighborhood, etc. Put a fair price on it, label it "Estate Sale", be creative.
For larger items, Craigslist (with all it's inherent problems), works fairly well.
Furniture should be described as "Non-smoking home" and NO Pet Home " If that is true. That helps.
I can usually move furniture quickly for what I want for it.
I'm having trouble selling a generator, and a wood chipper, but that is the local market.
I sold my RV in about 24 hours.
Motorcycles on Craigs: Be very careful. Specify cash only, no trades, and do not accept "agent for" or "cash back" deals. The horror stories are true. Also, if at all possible, I never meet at my home, but at a parking lot with lots of cameras, and have a dash cam on my vehicle. Cash only.
For large ticket items like your motorcycle, you can also post it on specialty boards like a motorcycle board, or a Harley board, etc.
By the way, a lot of full timers take their bikes with them. They full time in a toy hauler, take the bikes, and turn the garage into a man-cave or large living room.
Anyway, I hope I have helped in a small way at least.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #5

Used home items are a tough sell. Might check with a consignment resale shop on items that they would take and share the selling profits. We have a few locally and they will stop with their truck if you have enough stuff. You can always take stuff to them too. Just call first to insure that they are interested. Some items that owners think hold great value, in reality are not worth that much. I had a conversation with a shop around Crystal glasses, bowls, and other depression glass items. Normal stuff that a family keeps in their precious display cabinet. Not worth that much in my area. We also had the same shop sell some "junk" jewelry that people thought should be tossed and they sold it for hundreds of dollars for the small collection.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

Inspector, where are you located? There may be someone on here that needs some furniture.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #7

Selling Stuff

I had a toy hauler years ago. I want to get rid of the Harley (too many nuts on the road anymore) Plus, tired of riding (55 years).
I have a brand new never sat on Love Seat and Sofa that I want $1000 for. Paid $1500 and it's NEW. Had someone offer me $50.00 yesterday. Luck I'm not in jail.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #8

I'm located in Palm Coast,
Florida on the East Coast. That's midway between Daytona Beach and St. Augustine.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

Dang.....My furniture is worn out so I was hoping that you were in NC. I could have offered you at least $100 I wish you the best of luck selling your stuff. My friends did this a couple of years ago and they went ahead and rented a small storage building for a couple of months. It gave them the ability to sell their stuff and also hold on to a few items that they were not sure if they would miss or need.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #10

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think there is anyway on Earth you'll get $1K for furniture you paid $1500 for. The day you bought it you could probably expect to be able to get 1/2 your money back, putting it at being worth $750. Honestly I think you'll be lucky to get $500 if it is in flawless condition. We are a VERY clean family- no pets and no smoking- and we sold a bedroom set for $800 that we paid $3K for (and it was a really good sale that we got it at for that price) and it was almost flawless. Got $100 out of a couch we'd paid $500 for. It was used for several years, but still looked and sat like new. We had to deliver halfway to get the $100. Here is my reasoning for why household items depreciate so rapidly: 1. Those that have that kind of cash lying around probably have enough to buy new. And those type people don't usually want used things anyway, and don't have the time to search for used items online. They are also often very particular about the way something looks and would rather just go find exactly what they want and buy it. 2. The type of people that are OK with used furniture often don't have lot's of cash to spend on it. Therefore, the price has to be REALLY low, or they'll just go to a rent to own type place and pay it out. Ease of credit and ultra low interest rates have contributed to this as well.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Check out an Estate Sale Agent - that is what we did.

As dustman said though, do not expect to get what you paid for - that's just how it is.

An Estate Agent will hold an estate sale and sell off everything they possibly can (after all it is money in their pocket) Then, everything left you can either keep (bad idea IMHO - you are downsizing after all) or let the Estate Agent donate to Charity.

Donations are the silver lining. You can claim fair market value for items (no not $1,900 on a 2 year old $2,000 furniture item, but fair market value - which is usually somewhat more than what it will sell for cash). Take these receipts to your tax preparer and let them do their thing. In a lot of cases you will have so many donations that you will have to claim the charitable donations over 1-3 years.

Hope this helps
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote