Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2022, 08:00 PM   #1

green as grass!!!!!!!

i pick up my 2022 east west della terra by forest river next monday. i am so excited for this and to have people in the forums to help me. because i don,t know squat about camping with a trailer self contained. gray water black water and drink water! 250 bh model just right for my wife and i . my concern was where to store it off season? i called around and the highest was $1000.00 for 6 months indoors. well that ain,t gonna fly at all. i live in southern michigan. what do you cover your trailer with for the end of season? i have a 2015 f 150 lariat with a V8 5.0 and tow pkg and class iv hitch 20in b.f.goodrich tires load d? 114,000 miles stored indoors.the dealer is going to put a blue-ox pro weight distribution hitch on monday when i pick it up. thank you all jim arnett
roaddog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #2

Welcome to camping life and our forum. 3 years ago I couldn’t spell camper and now I are one.
Knowledge will come quickly through experience. I’ve learned how to fix things that I didn’t even know existed on my trailer. I’ve also learned that camping in a self-contained travel trailer is great fun.
This forum and Google will become your best friends.
Welcome friend!
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:22 PM   #3

Your dealer will give you a PDI before you sign the final papers (at least that's what's suppose to happen). Don't sign the final finance/sale papers until you make certain everything is working correctly. They'll be able to answer your questions about how things work. If you've got a smartphone, record the walkthrough because you're not going to remember some things later.

There are lots of different types of storage: storage lots, private campgrounds, storage buildings, driveways, etc. I wouldn't recommend a cover, unless you're talking about something like a canopy. They are hard to get on, subject to wind damage, etc. However, some people have success with them. We keep ours in enclosed storage and spend about what you were quoted but we pay monthly and it's month to month.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!
Old 06-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #4

Welcome!

Southern Michigan? You could practically WALK to the mecca of U.S. RV sales and production right across the border in Indiana!

Nice trailer! the E-W product line is pretty neat. All that lake effect up by you, if you're not storing indoors (and I sure think you should consider it), I'd at least look at getting a solid roof over it. There should be plenty of storage up by you, don't be afraid to keep it at a distance, esp in a rural area, potentially away from the lakes (as the boaters like indoor storage, too). As much as having it nearby is a fine thing, I've cut my storage costs to a FRACTION of what it would cost in the city by keeping it 45 minutes away. Yes, it's a little bit of a hassle, but the cost is so much more advantageous that I'm willing to eat the travel time instead of the storage cost.

What's your payload sticker say on your F150? Sounds like you should be FINE on most all fronts, though you'll likely want to keep payload in mind.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:28 PM   #5

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your 2022 East West Della Terra 250BH. There is a PDI checklist under the Library tab above. Print it and take it with you. Do not let the dealer rush you thru the PDI. If something isn't right do not accept 'sign the papers, give us the balance, and bring it back later so we can fix it'. You will be put at the end of the service schedule.

We store our camper in a local farmers barn during our Wisconsin winters for $350. Money well spent to keep it out of the elements. You might look for something similar.

We were all new to this camper stuff at one time. Take your time, ask questions and you'll do fine.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote