Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

Red face Have 5ver but no hitch!

Hello everyone! We are previous tent campers, then made the move to a 26 ft Rockwood Mini Lite. Kept for 2 years and loved it but decided to go to a larger RV. Picked out our new 5th wheel at the dealership, a nice 33’ Coachman Chapparal, but we needed a 5ver hitch installed in our truck. Dealership set a date to install, we left the truck but went to pick it up and found they drilled all the holes and put in a couple of rails but no hitch! Oh gee, they don’t have the hitch, it’s on order! Who does this!
We had planned on using the Memorial weekend to set up and stock the RV. After numerous phone calls, speaking to a manager and finally getting very frustrated they have now promised it will be there Tuesday. So glad I hadn’t booked a campground for that weekend. So fingers crossed hope to have our new rig tomorrow!
Thanks for listening, hope to have great camping stories in the future!
Vehicle: 2017 Ford F-250

Travel often and enjoy the journey!
Travel Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Wheels View Post
Hello everyone! We are previous tent campers, then made the move to a 26 ft Rockwood Mini Lite. Kept for 2 years and loved it but decided to go to a larger RV. Picked out our new 5th wheel at the dealership, a nice 33’ Coachman Chapparal, but we needed a 5ver hitch installed in our truck. Dealership set a date to install, we left the truck but went to pick it up and found they drilled all the holes and put in a couple of rails but no hitch! Oh gee, they don’t have the hitch, it’s on order! Who does this!
We had planned on using the Memorial weekend to set up and stock the RV. After numerous phone calls, speaking to a manager and finally getting very frustrated they have now promised it will be there Tuesday. So glad I hadn’t booked a campground for that weekend. So fingers crossed hope to have our new rig tomorrow!
Thanks for listening, hope to have great camping stories in the future!
Bummer. Not a way to start your 5th wheel experience. Just an FYI - check out Etrailer.com for all your hitch and trailer needs. The truck I bought had the rails already installed, so I just ordered the 5th wheel hitch from Etrailer. Took a couple days to arrive and I was in business.
Good luck and enjoy your new trailer.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #3

5vr update

Got a call this morning that the hitch is in and they can install this afternoon!
Thanks for the advice on Etrailer. We did check around and everyone said 5 weeks to get the hitch. So thank goodness it’s finally here. Will be estatic if we actually get to pick up the RV today!
Old 06-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #4

for those looking next time....Facebook marketplace usually has many options for good prices when compared to new.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #5

i got my 5er hitch from amazon in 3 days... that was purchased on april 3... and they still show as in stock.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRD1O7A it literally took 4 bolts torqued to 105ft lb to put the legs on, and dropping it on the rails...
Bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:44 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Welcome to the forum Travel Wheels. Sorry to hear about your hitch hiccup. Let us know how your first tow goes. Glad to have you aboard, and hope to see you down the road!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #7

We picked up the RV last night and are so excited! Getting everything set up and making a list of things we are needing. Have the first camping trip booked at end of this month! I will be posting some questions I am sure as we have some things to learn. Thanks for the welcome everyone. Appreciate the advice.
Ps. When we got to the dealership to pick up the rig there were a couple of slider hitches in their warehouse so evidently they ordered a few of them. It was the lack of communication that had us fed up. A simple phone call to us with the truth would have been better than getting the run around.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:00 PM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
We picked up the RV last night and are so excited! Getting everything set up and making a list of things we are needing. Have the first camping trip booked at end of this month! I will be posting some questions I am sure as we have some things to learn. Thanks for the welcome everyone. Appreciate the advice.
Ps. When we got to the dealership to pick up the rig there were a couple of slider hitches in their warehouse so evidently they ordered a few of them. It was the lack of communication that had us fed up. A simple phone call to us with the truth would have been better than getting the run around.
Congratulations. Now, pictures, or it ain't real! Yeah, it looks like the dealer learned some things out of this as well. And well, dealers aren't really known for their truth, unfortunately. But it sounds like you are ready for some fun.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:29 AM   #9

So congrats and what kind of hitch did they installed?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #10

We have a short bed truck so went with the B& W Patriot slider hitch. Practicing in the drive with hook up and unhook. Trying to find the sweet spot for parking it on the side of the house and be able to open both sliders. Got it parked, unhooked and level,. Only to find we could put out the sliders but couldn’t open the door! It was hitting the eve of the house. So here we go again,

Old 06-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
We have a short bed truck so went with the B& W Patriot slider hitch. Practicing in the drive with hook up and unhook. Trying to find the sweet spot for parking it on the side of the house and be able to open both sliders. Got it parked, unhooked and level,. Only to find we could put out the sliders but couldn’t open the door! It was hitting the eve of the house. So here we go again,
yep... the joys of finding the sweetspot....LOL it took us a few tries to find the right spot for ours as well... first attempt was too close to the house and our driver side slide wouldnt be able to extend, second try was too far over that the curb side slide covered 2/3 of our driveway (our drive is short, but wide enough for 3 cars, or a car, an f350 and the trailer LOL) third time was the charm...LOL
Bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch