Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #1

Hello

Newbie here. Looked at several TTs today. Considering a Salem FSX 179DBK. Looks to be a good fit for our Honda Ridgeline. Any thoughts are appreciated.
VOLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #2

a Salem FSX 179DBK at only 3,224 lbs dry weight is pretty good. Assuming you need the bunk house plan, but not knowing just how compact you may wish to go, you might have a look at a Rockwood Geo Pro G16BH at only 2993 lb. or the Geo Pro G19BH with a full queen bed up front at 3088 lb.
But I do like the Murphy bed idea for my own probable future choice of a Geo Pro G19FD "couples camper" without a slide out, but am also pretty keen on the Mini Lite 2109S. Decisions, decisions....
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #3

I heard that. We visited four different places yesterday and that was our favorite. We like the bunks for grandkids. The wider bunks are a plus. We are still a few months away from purchase. I'll check out the others you mentioned. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your search for the right tt. lots of knowledgeable folks here to help ya. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

Welcome from SW Ohio .
Old 07-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #6

I'm picking up my salem 179dbk today. will be doing my pdi walk through. I'll update this weekend to share what I found.
We chose this model because of towing weight (2019 toyota 4runner 500/5000), size we owned a 19' hybrid and a 33' springdale. I would have liked a 25' for more storage but my tow vehicle is my limiting factor. First look inside felt good, you know when you walk into a camper and just get that feeling that it fits? It fit my family wife and 2 kids 5/8, and a dog.
Goldie lock story:
The 19' was too small, had no storage and i hated the beds. The 33' was too big, needed a big tow vehicle. Also the kids stayed inside as it was like being at home and not camping.

Will see how this one works for us.
casper9545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #7

Looking forward to your updates. Keep an eye on the bunks. I've read some issues with them not being secured well in some models. Like you, our TV is limited to 5,000. Also like you, this one felt right when we initially got in it.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLguy View Post
Looking forward to your updates. Keep an eye on the bunks. I've read some issues with them not being secured well in some models. Like you, our TV is limited to 5,000. Also like you, this one felt right when we initially got in it.
I did see that post so when i signed papers on wednesday, so i could have a plate today, I looked at the screws on the top bunk and lower by lifting the mattress. At a first glance, open and closed all cabinets, moved the murphy bed, checked the support under murphy bed and dinette, tried to move toilet, vanity. Everything seemed solid but today will be a much more though inspection.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #9

Hello

Picked up the camper yesterday afternoon. I did a 2hr pdi and found one potential major issue and two minor issues.
On the outside roof above the kitchen sink it was raised and looked odd. I got their warranty person out to take pictures just in case. It looks like when they installed the vent it raised the plywood up. Nothing protruding or sharp that would cause the roof membrane to tear but a big concern. The other two issues is the gasket on the big window was not on very secure, I could lift it with my finger. I’m told them I’m worried it may come off when driving. Last the triangle bracket protecting the under carriage and plumbing had a dent. So someone hit something when backing up. All issues had pictures taken by me and their warranty dept.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLguy View Post
Newbie here. Looked at several TTs today. Considering a Salem FSX 179DBK. Looks to be a good fit for our Honda Ridgeline. Any thoughts are appreciated.
We Love ours

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post
We Love ours
So far so good we go out for our first trip in n 2 weeks.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #12

Sorry its been so long, been busy. Took the 179dbk to sea vu west in wells maine. The camper towed well. No major issues to report, it was a nice trip. Minor grips no fan in the bathroom vent but there is a 2" gap at the top of the bathroom door which creates airflow. Not the same as a vent but it was ok. the outside bays are big wide openings enough to fit my webber grill. Storage inside is good but we are getting creative to squeeze more in. food prep inside is almost non-existent. need a cover over the 2 burners and partial sink. Queen bed needs a mattress topper. It has a fold grove, when you put the bed into storage position. need curtain for 2 rear bunks windows. Lighting is good but kids cannot turn any main lights on/off unless in their bunks. outside awning is good. the outside fridge is awesome.
Pretty good outing, the kids where outside more than in due to the size of the dbk, as planned.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #13

Thanks for the update. Let me know if you have more outings. We've been looking around and seem to always go back to the DBK. If things work out, we may purchase next spring. What is your tow vehicle if you don't mind me asking. I've got an 18 Ridgeline. The DBK is at the upper end, but still works for weight and payload.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #14

We are going this weekend to a local campground. My wife wishes it had a slide but that model does not have the outdoor refrigerator. The tow vehicle is a 2019 4runner rated for 500/5000.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #15

Thanks again. Sounds like our TVs are similar in towing. Our Ridgeline is rated up to 600# tongue weight, 1,543# payload & 5,000# trailer weight.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #16

More info the top bunk gets super cold from the ac being on. Like in comfortable cold. Suggest a curtain even after closing vent. Also we have wicked ( grew up outside Boston) bounce at the campsite. I bought pads then I used long pieces of wood to spread the weight due to soft ground. Cannot seem to get it anchored so I’m guessing the stabilizers are crap like others have said. Used the heater but it set off the fire alarm. I’ll research that at home, otherwise a call to the dealer is in order. Over all family is happy with the new camper.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper9545 View Post
More info the top bunk gets super cold from the ac being on. Like in comfortable cold. Suggest a curtain even after closing vent. Also we have wicked ( grew up outside Boston) bounce at the campsite. I bought pads then I used long pieces of wood to spread the weight due to soft ground. Cannot seem to get it anchored so I’m guessing the stabilizers are crap like others have said. Used the heater but it set off the fire alarm. I’ll research that at home, otherwise a call to the dealer is in order. Over all family is happy with the new camper.
If that was the first time you used the heater....you get the Smoke Detector Surprise !!! The heater is covered with manufacturing oil when it's made and it remains there until you've used it once or twice. When we got ours new two years ago, first day in driveway I opened all the windows, turned on vent and fired up furnace. Took a couple of long cycles to get the oil burnt off and the haze in TT was impressive on the first run. After about 3 cycles...she was good to go.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #18

Awesome thanks will do that ASAP.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #19

"pretty keen on the Mini Lite 2109S. Decisions, decisions.... "
Goes for us as well. After online looking for months and finally stepping into one at a dealer in central GA, the 2109s is right at the top of the list, followed by a GEO PRO G19FD with the 1000w solar panel & controller, the WiFi booster, etc. Slides make me nervous, because I'm old school and really am spooked by the 'horror stories' of failing slide out mechanisms, especially the Shwinteck type on the Mini Lite.. .
Anyone here had a slide fail? What type and how did you limp it back home?
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #20

Good info. I have tried to find the weight rating on the bunks. I asked a local dealer if they could check and call me back, but they never did. Large enough for an adult, but read where one guy was on his and one side collapsed. He found missing screws and said he was going add some support. We looked at a No Boundaries with small bunks. They had a sticker for 300#. I would think these should be rated around 300#.