Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
*~New Beginnings~*

Hello-- (again)

I have been here since 2012, I think... but never really posted much as we were busy camping... well my fiance passed away -- Jan of 2019
and....after much consideration--- should I keep the camper... should I sell the camper and truck..... I am going to trade in our dream camper for a toy hauler 24Pack14+... and continue camping... even if its solo runs... I was wondering if there were any other Solo campers here.... or if you have any tips... I have been practicing my backing skills in my driveway and I have pulled the current camper twice in the last month... I usually leave the camper connected to the truck because out of EVERYTHING to do to get a camper READY -- it's the "sway bars/chains" that give me the most problem.... it literally takes EVERYTHING I have to get them on..... sheesh.. I live in the middle of BFE so I hate calling on people to help me. I want to be able to do this on my own. Anyway.... I wanted to say hello (again) and hope to get some tips and maybe meet some cool peeps along the way!

2021 Cherokee Wolfpack 23Pack15>=<o Ford F350 Diesel Super Duty XLT
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff 829RKSS
👉🏻Don’t stop doing what you love 💕 find a way 👈🏻
#HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
*~New Beginnings~*

ooops

apparently I need to update my signature as well....

Old 06-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio , sorry for loss .
Old 06-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HappyCampers View Post
... I usually leave the camper connected to the truck because out of EVERYTHING to do to get a camper READY -- it's the "sway bars/chains" that give me the most problem.... it literally takes EVERYTHING I have to get them on ...
Look into the Straptek system, instead of chains, for loading the spring bars. I think it would require less effort and it provides more control. A long breaker bar would provide a lot of leverage.

I have no personal experience with them but others have described them in positive terms.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #5

Welcome back from South Jersey. Sorry for your loss. Many single campers when we camp at a lot of different parts of the country. Have several friends that do that, so that way you are good to go.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
I have been here since 2012, I think... but never really posted much as we were busy camping... well my fiance passed away -- Jan of 2019
and....after much consideration--- should I keep the camper... should I sell the camper and truck..... I am going to trade in our dream camper for a toy hauler 24Pack14+... and continue camping... even if its solo runs... I was wondering if there were any other Solo campers here.... or if you have any tips... I have been practicing my backing skills in my driveway and I have pulled the current camper twice in the last month... I usually leave the camper connected to the truck because out of EVERYTHING to do to get a camper READY -- it's the "sway bars/chains" that give me the most problem.... it literally takes EVERYTHING I have to get them on..... sheesh.. I live in the middle of BFE so I hate calling on people to help me. I want to be able to do this on my own. Anyway.... I wanted to say hello (again) and hope to get some tips and maybe meet some cool peeps along the way!
Sorry you don't have your partner anymore.
To help out with the spring bars, do you raise your tongue jack with the truck hooked up? This will help release some of the tension. Also, I have found if I am not straight on to the camper, one of the bars will be much tighter.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Welcome back. My dear DW passed away 3/25/19 and sure do miss her as we made a lot of trips and memories together. So I like you was debating what to do and even was considering canceling my Frog rally but with the support of the Frog family I have gained they helped me reconsider and to stay camping so I did. To get me really ready I bit the bullet and bought a new camper so me and Mr Riley can travel in a new home and continue to interact with my frog friends.

If your considering a new TH look at 5th wheels and go with a Anderson hitch that is what I did. No lifting no problem.

Try making it to a Frog rally as you will meet some really nice folks. There is one close to you in ind you can find out the details by going to the sub section Raally zone/Frog events. Make sure you are signed up as a Frog member as you need this to attend and cost nothing.Go here to sign up to become a Frog member.
Forest River Owners Group - The official owner's group of Forest River RV, manufacturer of world-class recreational vehicles.

Good luck in your travels and who knows we may cross paths some day. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:50 AM   #8

Welcome from northern MN. Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I usually leave the camper connected to the truck because out of EVERYTHING to do to get a camper READY -- it's the "sway bars/chains" that give me the most problem.... it literally takes EVERYTHING I have to get them on..... sheesh..

Do you use the electric or manual tongue jack to help in this while the RV is attached to the tow vehicle? It should be easy to install/remove.

Although your weight distribution hitch/bars may be different than the video below, you will get the idea on how to raise the RV in installing and removing the bars.

Check out this video and you can skip to the 4:10 mark and watch it after that.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #10

Quote:
I usually leave the camper connected to the truck because out of EVERYTHING to do to get a camper READY -- it's the "sway bars/chains" that give me the most problem.... it literally takes EVERYTHING I have to get them on..... sheesh.. I live in the middle of BFE so I hate calling on people to help me. I want to be able to do this on my own. Anyway.... I wanted to say hello (again) and hope to get some tips and maybe meet some cool peeps along the way!
So sorry for your loss.
I understand when you say that it takes "everything you have to get the sway bars/chains hooked and unhooked". It got to the point that neither one of us had the strength required. We spent days camping without unhooking before taking off to our new campsite. It cuts sightseeing down to zero.

So we bought a small Class C. We like having everything available while traveling.. bathroom, kitchen, bed for a quick nap. We can also use it for sightseeing in most places.

As to 'solo' campers, we've found plenty. Found ladies camping in pop ups, huge fifth wheelers and motorhomes.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #11

it's the "sway bars/chains" that give me the most problem.... it literally takes EVERYTHING I have to get them on..... sheesh

Condolences. As others have mentioned it should be easy to get the sway bars on. If you don't have an electric jack in front, get one. They can be purchased for about $100. After the TT is hooked to the TV, raise the jack up a lot until the bars slide on easily. If you can't get enough height, put a block under the jack and try again. If it still difficult, use a long breaker bar for added leverage
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #12
*~New Beginnings~*

Thank you!!!!

Thank you all for the kind words!!! I will try some of suggestions... and see what I can do..... its been connected for almost a month now... with 3 camping trips tho... and I haven't needed the truck for anything other than pulling the camper

the good news is I am going to trade it in on the toy hauler!! Its just VERY hard trying to camp in the "dream" camper that we had... so I think its best to snag up the Toy Hauler while it is still on the lot!!
I am waiting on paper work and the normal BS that goes with purchasing something new.... sooooo getting kind of excited!!!

Old 06-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
the good news is I am going to trade it in on the toy hauler!! Its just VERY hard trying to camp in the "dream" camper that we had... so I think its best to snag up the Toy Hauler while it is still on the lot!!
That's a beautiful rig. Lots of room.
I'm wondering what 'toy' you haul.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #14
*~New Beginnings~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
That's a beautiful rig. Lots of room.
I'm wondering what 'toy' you haul.

that pic is my current one.... the new one is going to be a 24Pack14+

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/toy-h...ACK14PLUS/2791

But I currently have 2 -4 wheelers (eventually would like 1 side by side) and 3 Kayaks.... plus I love to Halloween camp..and loading will be a LOT easier!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24pack14+_Garage.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	232069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolfpack24PACK14+_ExteriorRearOpen.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	232070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolfpack24PACK14+_ExteriorFrontOpen.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	232071  

Old 06-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #15
*~New Beginnings~*

Unhappy

Bittersweet Update:
OMG.... I couldn't do it..... I backed out at the last minute.... I just couldnt part with my Flagstaff...after I took one more GOOD look at the Cherokee Toy Hauler..... the quality is not even close...NOT EVEN A LITTLE. I also thought I would be ok with the lack of storage.. but when it came right down to it.... Im not. I would be giving up soo much for only getting a few upgrades.... and I think with some modification.... I can make the current one work for me..... several friends talked me off the ledge the last few days.... and for that.. I am thankful.

Quote:
that pic is my current one.... the new one is going to be a 24Pack14+

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/toy-h...ACK14PLUS/2791

But I currently have 2 -4 wheelers (eventually would like 1 side by side) and 3 Kayaks.... plus I love to Halloween camp..and loading will be a LOT easier!!!!

Old 06-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #16

I am brand new owner of Rockwood A213hw coming to me friday!

Friends, I bought my A frame in ohio, cheaper by $5K, but live in NC, so it is being delivered (I still work). I have to miss the orientation because I could not go and get it! Is there an online orientation i can find? I might be able to get the orientation from an rv place in hickory but not sure. I am a long time tent camper but want to camp year round so that is why i finally bought an a-frame. I camped next to someone 3 yrs ago with a regular popup and was so impressed i knew i would buy one one day and thought it would be after I retire. I decided to go for it. I should have bought it back then, would have been cheaper! Golly it is hard to find a tent camping spot now much less a camp spot for my camper! Golly. Anyway I watch tube to learn but need lots of help! Tetongirl (Pam)
teton girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #17

teton girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by teton girl View Post
Friends, I bought my A frame in ohio, cheaper by $5K, but live in NC, so it is being delivered (I still work). I have to miss the orientation because I could not go and get it! Is there an online orientation i can find? I might be able to get the orientation from an rv place in hickory but not sure. I am a long time tent camper but want to camp year rouItnd so that is why i finally bought an a-frame. I camped next to someone 3 yrs ago with a regular popup and was so impressed i knew i would buy one one day and thought it would be after I retire. I decided to go for it. I should have bought it back then, would have been cheaper! Golly it is hard to find a tent camping spot now much less a camp spot for my camper! Golly. Anyway I watch tube to learn but need lots of help! Tetongirl (Pam)
It may not be as good as an orientation, but Forest River has some helpful videos here:
https://forestriverinc.help/#/forest.../browse/videos
Old 06-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teton girl View Post
Friends, I bought my A frame in ohio, cheaper by $5K, but live in NC, so it is being delivered (I still work). I have to miss the orientation because I could not go and get it! Is there an online orientation i can find? I might be able to get the orientation from an rv place in hickory but not sure.
Not that I've ever seen. Maybe a dealership walk-through but not a comprehensive orientation.
You may regret not waiting until you could do a real PDI/walk-through with the dealer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #19

HappyCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by #HappyCamper View Post
it's the "sway bars/chains" that give me the most problem.... it literally takes EVERYTHING I have to get them on..... sheesh..
Glad you decided to keep what you have because you've probably got the 'bugs' out and can concentrate on camping.
There is a trick to get those sway bars/chains on with minimal effort. We both struggled for a year until a friendly neighbor camper clued us in. It's mostly about leverage and you have to lift as near to the connection as possible. You use your body weight rather than the strength of your arms to lift and push the connection you're trying to make.
You might want to consider joining a club like RvingWomen. There are both single and married women as part of this group. https://www.rvingwomen.org/