Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 04:06 AM   #1

Hello All

I just arrived here from an internet search relating to Forest River.

We're thinking about buying a travel trailer, but have quite a few questions first. I believe a forum will be a great place to find answers and learn about the seemingly complex range of choices.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:39 AM   #2

I’m up at 5:00 am because my dog cried to go outside, so here I am to welcome you!

You are going to find the market a little light on supply right now, as well as the supply of camping sites.

BUT

Before you even get too far into looking you need to decide if you have a vehicle that will serve as your tow vehicle or if you will need to purchase one specifically for the purpose. Either way, the biggest determining factor of what you can actually tow is not “towing capacity” “tow rating” etc., it is PAYLOAD.
That is the most important factor in determining how big of a trailer you can actually safely and legally tow. The only payload number that matters is the one that is printed on the vehicle on the tag inside the driver’s door, not what is found on a website. If you are looking at new vehicles then you need to check the sticker of EACH vehicle. You can not assume that two similar trucks will have the same payload capacity.

So, if you have a truck already, let the forum know what it is and what that sticker says and we will be able to help determine what size trailer you are able to look at. If you want to pick a specific trailer then figure that out and THEN make sure you get the tow vehicle to match. Dealers (both truck and trailer) will lie or are uninformed on the realities, they want to make a sale.

One of the most common topics on this forum is people who bought a trailer that is too big for their tow vehicle and either trying all kinds of tricks to make it work or having to upgrade their vehicle before they had planned to.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:23 AM   #3
Site Team

Yep, it's a bad time time to be buying a RV, especially out West.
Supply is low so prices are high.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your search. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-14
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #5

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuild View Post
I just arrived here from an internet search relating to Forest River.
Welcome!

You sure stumbled upon the best place on the internet to get good information for entering (and remaining in) the world of RVs, even if you arenít going to buy a Forest River product, but you canít go wrong by going with Forest River because they have so much to offer for whatever you are looking for.

When you combine owning a Forest River product with being a Member here, you will find endless support for any questions you have about your specific RV. There are people here, including a great group of people (The Site Team) who monitor the site, who will always steer you in the right direction, no matter what you ask. Most people here are genuinely concerned and happy to help you with any problems or questions you have, no matter how ďstupidĒ you may think your issue is.

You will also find the search feature here very useful because almost any question you may have has probably already been answered and any problem you may have has probably already been solved. There is a wealth of good information here, as well as a wealth of good people to guide you along the way from where you are now and throughout your entire RV experience.

You are going to be so happy that you discovered the RV life.

Bruce
Old 08-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #6

Youve got time, research what you may want, research what you think you may want, research what youre sure you dont want, i could go on, short answer, research it all....
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #7

Welcome from Eastern Nebraska / Northwest Missouri.
May I suggest.....go buy a cabin.
Good luck on your search. As others have said, the market is up 138% this year alone. Supply is limited and prices are up. We just sold our 2018 Cherokee this year ( for sale over a year) I was able to get $2000 above NADA for it. Like others also. Tow vehicle FIRST ! What are you going to use to pull the TT with and then base it on that. OR ! like we did when we bought our Cherokee....picked out the TT, then went and found a capable tow vehicle...in our case it was a 2014 GMC 2500HD Duramax
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #8

Welcome from New Jersey, As you can see from the previous posts that there are a lot of knowledgeable people here willing to help.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #9

Welcome from SW Ohio .
Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #10

Welcome from Arkansas.

I agree with all statements here. I might add to try and think about the actual experience you looking for. Like to hike/ride/climb? Large living might not be a big concern. Like to cook outside? Outdoor kitchen(I miss mine) might be important. Need lots of storage? Definitely keep that in mind. Concerned about set up time? Auto leveling/electric stabilizers/TT or 5th wheel might be easier to get set up. Need to haul ATV/golf car/scooters? Definitely think about a toy hauler. Need lots of sleeping room(kids quit going..I wasnít mad)? We didnít need what I thought. I did learn that having a couch folded out for people limits the amount of room till you can shake them out.

Just try to use your RV mentally and peacefully before you buy. It might slow down the trading soon.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #11

A very big thanks to you all. What a nice welcome.

My first question is would the 'General Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Discussion' be the right place to start my questions?

One of the first things I'd like to try to understand is the exact length of both the Hemisphere Ultra-Lyte 22RBHL and 19RBHL. Is there somewhere that I might be able to find detailed information over and above the basic manufacturer descriptions? I'm looking for the overall length and the actual trailer body length excluding the A frame and any rear rack or other mountings.

I'm thinking along the lines of using a GLS450 with leveling bars and electronic stabilization system. The GLS claims 7,700 towing capacity while the 22RBHL and 19RBHL are both around 5,000 unladen and something like 7,500 GVWR (roughly).
Old 08-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
A very big thanks to you all. What a nice welcome.

My first question is would the 'General Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Discussion' be the right place to start my questions?

One of the first things I'd like to try to understand is the exact length of both the Hemisphere Ultra-Lyte 22RBHL and 19RBHL. Is there somewhere that I might be able to find detailed information over and above the basic manufacturer descriptions? I'm looking for the overall length and the actual trailer body length excluding the A frame and any rear rack or other mountings.

I'm thinking along the lines of using a GLS450 with leveling bars and electronic stabilization system. The GLS claims 7,700 towing capacity while the 22RBHL and 19RBHL are both around 5,000 unladen and something like 7,500 GVWR (roughly).
Model-specific questions should be asked in that brand's sub-forum.
And brochure/website length numbers are one of the few specs that are actually accurate. On TTs, it's ball to bumper.
For your tow vehicle, you need to focus first on its payload capacity. Then figure 12-13% of the trailer's GVWR for a ballpark loaded tongue weight. Too many newbies only look at the Towing Capacity numbers.
Almost all tow vehicles will run out of payload capacity WAY before reaching the max towing capacity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #13

Welcome from Northern MN.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
For your tow vehicle, you need to focus first on its payload capacity. Then figure 12-13% of the trailer's GVWR for a ballpark loaded tongue weight.
Thanks for the advice.

Based on the Forest River web site the hitch weight is 570 lbs. Going by the GVWR 12% would be 908 lbs. Going by the tow vehicle manufacturers site, the maximum payload is 1,798 lbs.

Would I be right in assuming the 12-13% is a good general guide for the tongue weight once the trailer is loaded, while the lower hitch weight (570 lbs) is only for an empty trailer?

And with 1,798 lbs payload I should be good for up to 908 lbs tongue weight and a couple of passengers towing at around 80 - 90% of the maximum tow rating?

I'd never really thought about that before, and I guess I am going to have to carefully watch where the bikes and canoe go too.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

Based on the Forest River web site the hitch weight is 570 lbs. Going by the GVWR 12% would be 908 lbs. Going by the tow vehicle manufacturers site, the maximum payload is 1,798 lbs.

Would I be right in assuming the 12-13% is a good general guide for the tongue weight once the trailer is loaded, while the lower hitch weight (570 lbs) is only for an empty trailer?

And with 1,798 lbs payload I should be good for up to 908 lbs tongue weight and a couple of passengers towing at around 80 - 90% of the maximum tow rating?

I'd never really thought about that before, and I guess I am going to have to carefully watch where the bikes and canoe go too.
DON'T use website payload numbers. Actual payload capacities are specific to each vehicle. If it's a truck, that max payload number is based on a base level 2 door 4x2 truck.
On a F150, you can have payload capacities from 800lbs to 3000lbs, based on on specs and equipment. So it's useless to look for payload numbers from a website.
Look for the driver's door yellow sticker. It'll say something like "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs".