Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Hello All

Hello
I just joined the forum and would like to introduce myself. We just purchased a 2013 Coachman Catalina 29DDS which we will be towing with a 2013 GMC Yukon XL 5.3l. Hoping that it will be sufficient. The salesman seemed to think so lol, but I would like to get some feedback from people with experience. Cant wait for this Canadian winter to end so we can get out there.
Cheers
Kevin Tomas
Constructionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new camper!
what's the tow rating on your Yucon, the aluminum campers are a little heavy when over 28/30 feet. You need a wdh, don't know if you have one, it's a must! Others will help you here too, it's a great forum for that!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #3

Thanks John.
I do have wdh that we purchased with our previous trailer which was a aerolite 22ft hybrid. I am assuming that I can transfer it. The rating for the Yukon is 8100lbs and the trailer has a GVWR of 7700 with a hitch weight of 806 lbs. Its dry weight is 6345 lbs. I know its cutting it close but I hope it can handle it. I really don't want to get into changing tow vehicles.
Kevin
Constructionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #4

Just be safe, and take your time on the road. That's a nice camper but it's a 'little' heavy when fully loaded. In my case, I'm pushing to the max in my set up too, i just try to keep the camper light, lol! and drive with no hurry. Take care Kevin, I'm sure others will help with their imputs.
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #5

Congratulations on your new camper and welcome to the forum. remember, you don't just need to PULL it, but you need to STOP it as well. Be safe.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2013 Coachman Catalina 29DS !
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Tomas View Post
The salesman seemed to think so lol,
here's where you made your big mistake!
salesmen will say anything to close the deal and they don't care whether your vehicle can actually tow it.
once you leave the lot, you leave their responsibility.

i have an Avalanche, basically the same vehicle as the Yukon XL with a pickup bed and i would never tow that big and heavy a trailer, especially with my family in it.
your rating of 8100lbs. is ONLY if there's just a 150lb. driver in it. anything additional in the Yukon, will lower that 8100 number by its weight.
so, if Mom weighs 150lbs. and Dad and the kids total 500lbs. and there's another 100lbs in it, then your Yukon towing number is down to 7500lbs.

so, bottom line, with a loaded vehicle/trailer and a WDH, your Yukon could be at or over its max towing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote