Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #1

Hello and help!!! Dometic Electric water heater not working

Hi all!

We have traded in our 1997 Wilderness for an 2022 Alpha Wolf. To say we are a little behind the curve is an understatement. We are taking it out for the first time. We now have an electric and propane water heater. We canít seem to get the electric water heater to work. The propane works really well. But rather use the electric. Is there some sort of trick to it? We have hit the button on for the electric and turned the gas one off. But no hot water . Any advise?
sdamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:52 PM   #2

Is the switch in the outside access panel turned on?

Mine is in lower left hand corner of the heater, to the left of the anode rod.

It's often iff when delivered as most RV-'s leave the factory "Winterized" and you don't want to operate the heaters (gas or electric) with tank empty.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:11 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamies View Post
Hi all!

We have traded in our 1997 Wilderness for an 2022 Alpha Wolf. To say we are a little behind the curve is an understatement. We are taking it out for the first time. We now have an electric and propane water heater. We canít seem to get the electric water heater to work. The propane works really well. But rather use the electric. Is there some sort of trick to it? We have hit the button on for the electric and turned the gas one off. But no hot water . Any advise?
It usually helps when the make and model number of the WH is posted. Features can vary between makes and model numbers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Is the switch in the outside access panel turned on?

Mine is in lower left hand corner of the heater, to the left of the anode rod.

It's often iff when delivered as most RV-'s leave the factory "Winterized" and you don't want to operate the heaters (gas or electric) with tank empty.

Thanks. We had a better chance to look at it this morning and it is a domestic. We got the manual for a suburban. :/. Which would explain why none of the manuals were making sense. We found the right manual online. We will finish the breakfast dishes and poke around some more for that switch. Although I donít see a switch in the domestic manual. Seems to point to the thermostat???
Old 04-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Hi all!

This is a 2022 Alpha Wolf 26RK.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #6

Here's a helpful video for troubleshooting Atwood/Dometic:
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks. We had a better chance to look at it this morning and it is a domestic. We got the manual for a suburban. :/. Which would explain why none of the manuals were making sense. We found the right manual online. We will finish the breakfast dishes and poke around some more for that switch. Although I don’t see a switch in the domestic manual. Seems to point to the thermostat???

Your post reminded me that I needed to update our library with the current owners manual for these Dometic water heaters as they are becoming more common in FR products.

If you ever need the owners manual again, you can find/download it in our library, located here.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...do=file&id=264

EDIT: I am also going to edit your thread title to reflect you have a Dometic brand water heater

I'd appreciate receiving junk mail far more if it actually came with pieces of junk.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #8

Mine has an all black plastic rocker switch on the water heater under the outside access panel. It actually plugs into a single outlet mounted to the inside wall under my front bed near the water heater.
I unplugged it when winterizing to plug in an extension cord to use with a dehumidifier. And, of course, forgot to plug it in dewinterizing. I replaced the heater element before I remembered it ;(
A couple posters added an interior lighted switch for ease of operation. I should do the same
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Your post reminded me that I needed to update our library with the current owners manual for these Dometic water heaters as they are becoming more common in FR products.

If you ever need the owners manual again, you can find/download it in our library, located here.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...do=file&id=264

EDIT: I am also going to edit your thread title to reflect you have a Dometic brand water heater

Thank you!
Old 04-16-2022, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Here's a helpful video for troubleshooting Atwood/Dometic:

Awesome! Thank you!
Old 04-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #11

We have messed with it for a couple of hours and making no progress. We are taking it back in to have it looked at since it is less than a month since we purchased. Thanks all for the help! We are really nostalgic for our 97. We knew that thing inside and out. Change is hard. Itís going to get better, right???
Old 04-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Mine has an all black plastic rocker switch on the water heater under the outside access panel. It actually plugs into a single outlet mounted to the inside wall under my front bed near the water heater.
I unplugged it when winterizing to plug in an extension cord to use with a dehumidifier. And, of course, forgot to plug it in dewinterizing. I replaced the heater element before I remembered it ;(
A couple posters added an interior lighted switch for ease of operation. I should do the same
Is your water heater a Dometic brand or a Suburban? Theyíre different.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 82; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #13

Circuit breaker in the main power box is a suspect. As is a burned out element from plugging in the camper with no water in the water heater and the switches set to On.

"Back to the dealer" usually involves several weeks of waiting...

-- Chuck

Tags
dometic, water heater, water, heater, electric