Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #1

Question Hello Everyone from Georgia!

Good morning y'all from Clark's Hill lake in Georgia! We are on our first trip in our new Grey Wolf 23MK. We absolutely love our new trailer, and true to tradition, we make it storm our first night here, LOL! Since then we have had good weather and it is cool this morning so we feel like we're in the mountains. That mountain trip actually comes in a week to Blue Ridge Georgia. Anyway, we have a new technology fridge in our unit, it's a Furrion 10cu. ft. 12V unit. It's Huge! Our old trailer had a propane/electric fridge which worked fine for us all the years we had it. Anyway, the new fridge is acting finicky, and not cooling properly. We had it turned up all the way when we got set up in our campsite. It had a good 8 hours to acclimate and cool down. When we stocked it up with our meat and drinks, the next day, everything seemed cool but not cold. We tinkered with the thermostat tweaking it back down to a lower or higher setting. At one point we noticed there was ice forming on the back wall of the fridge but everything wasn't as cool as it should have been. Cool but not cold. The freezer wasn't freezing very well either because we had some ice trays in there that wouldn't freeze solid, still had water in them with partial ice cubes forming, just not frozen like they should have been. The frozen chicken wings we had in there stayed hard, didn't thaw any and we put a steak in there that was still spongy feeling after a night in there. We called the dealership and they had a service advisor call me back and told me maybe i had the fridge set too cold and it was trying to defrost itself. I thought well that's interesting, I've never heard anything like that but.......OK. So I set the fridge thermostat closer to the "off grid" setting to see if it would adjust itself and work like it should. Well since then it seems to keep the drinks cool enough, but we still don't trust it's cold enough for meat, and the freezer is still doing it's thing by not freezing ice cubes overnight and into the day. Does anyone have any experience with these new Furrion 12V refrigerators? Some of the research and reviews I've seen and watched on YouTube say they are super cold in 3 hours and perform like champions. All the Grey Wolf's seem to be going to this product, so any help I can get will be appreciated.
Minglett22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum.

Is the frig a two way electric/gas? When ever you load up a frig with warm items it takes a long time for the frig to catch up to get the items cold. Especially if your adding warm drinks and such it will warm the frig up in a hart beat. Also is your frig in the sun a lot? If yours has electric try cooling frig down the day before you leave on a trip. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio , enjoy your FR Grey Wolf 23MK TT !
Old 06-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Is the frig a two way electric/gas? When ever you load up a frig with warm items it takes a long time for the frig to catch up to get the items cold. Especially if your adding warm drinks and such it will warm the frig up in a hart beat. Also is your frig in the sun a lot? If yours has electric try cooling frig down the day before you leave on a trip. Later RJD
The OP stated it's a Furrion 12v only fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
We put frozen water bottles in both the freezer and the fridge to help with the initial cooling. Also helps to put beverages in a cooler rather than constantly opening the fridge door.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #6

New Fridge Issues

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations. I have had a gas/electric fridge in the past and have used some of those tricks to help it cool down. Now I am enjoying the new technology of a 12 volt fridge. It has had 4 days of camping to acclimate to the conditions you are talking about. It just isn't quite getting there due to the fact it won't freeze the ice cubes in the ice trays, gets close but water is still visible in the tray even though most of the cube has formed. I was looking for anyone who has had any experience with the new 12 volt Furrion fridges. It should be able to freeze an ice cube by now especially since I've given it every advantage to do so. It seems it is either having a thermostat issue or a control board issue. Not sure, because I haven't had any experience with these new refrigerators.
Minglett22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #7

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
Campaholic

Welcome from Winnipeg Manitoba
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote

« New here | Cheers! »