Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #1

Hello from Alberta

Hi all, new here from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. My wife, two boys, and I had a pop up trailer last year and it’s been fantastic at showing us how much more comfortable camping is in a warm unit off the ground so we are looking at upgrading to a hard trailer, a 2018 Avenger ATI 26BB, seems like an awesome value for the price, just wonder if they are good units or are we getting what we pay for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	56902846514__B975CA6B-720F-4FE3-8E97-CC33BF8B3E52.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	194653

Our other choice is a Jayco Jay Flight SLX 22BH which loses 4 feet and the sofa but it has an outdoor kitchen and the dealer has it for $1k more.

Or do we skip the trailers in this price range and just buy an older but good quality and well maintained unit for now? We really like the Avenger though.

Thanks in advance!
dkazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin. Buying new you'll take a big hit in depreciation the minute you drive it off the lot. But you will get a warranty. Buying a well maintained gently used unit will save you thousands but no warranty. If you find a used unit you like spend the $ and have a mobile RV tech go over it with you before you decide. Good luck and have fun with your search.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #3

Greetings from next door in SK!

I can't help with specifics, but keep in mind how much space you'll have as the boys grow up. We have three teenage boys and ran out of space in our current trailer after about three years of use. We purchased a used trailer that is much bigger. So think about what it might be like in these trailers when you might get stuck inside due to weather.

Have fun with whatever you end up with!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
Misfit Adventures

Hi and welcome from belleville ont.
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #5

Hello from 'not so warm this winter' Arizona! Spent a few days in Gibbons this summer on my way to Athabasca - loved your part Canada! Thanks for the hospitality.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Welcome from Wisconsin. Buying new you'll take a big hit in depreciation the minute you drive it off the lot. But you will get a warranty. Buying a well maintained gently used unit will save you thousands but no warranty. If you find a used unit you like spend the $ and have a mobile RV tech go over it with you before you decide. Good luck and have fun with your search.
Thanks for the welcome! Yea definitely understand the depreciation bit but they heavily discounted the price which makes us comfortable with the deal, it's only a few k more than a used 4 year old model. The warranty is only a year long and I'd prefer not using it at all. But what is swaying us towards new is the nice interior and not having to deal with looking for rot, leaking water tanks, etc.

If we wanted to save another $2k, we could get a unit with some hail damage as well. Being in Alberta, there are two types of trailers, those that have hail damage and those that will unless we pay for covered storage.

The only thing we don't like about new is having to finance. Without financing, our budget is about $4k. So $4k for an older trailer I'd wait til at least April to buy since everything is winterized or $4k downpayment towards new? If I were still in Kelowna BC, my buddy could have helped me inspect used trailers (and had nicer weather, mountains, golfing, wineries, skiing, beaches, lake, in a nice smaller city, sigh lol) but here yea I'd have to have someone look for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro80 View Post
Greetings from next door in SK!

I can't help with specifics, but keep in mind how much space you'll have as the boys grow up. We have three teenage boys and ran out of space in our current trailer after about three years of use. We purchased a used trailer that is much bigger. So think about what it might be like in these trailers when you might get stuck inside due to weather.

Have fun with whatever you end up with!
Thanks and hello! This unit is bigger than we ever thought we'd buy. We had no issues with our tent trailer, we only used it for a warm space to sleep and stayed outdoors otherwise. We do only have two boys 7 and 9 so the double bunk setup is perfect until they stop camping with us and it's time to move to a couples type trailer. What was your old trailer and what is the new to you one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit011 View Post
Hi and welcome from belleville ont.
Hello!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #7

Welcome from SW Ohio , enjoy your Avenger ATI26BB TT !
Old 01-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkazzed View Post
Hi all, new here from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. My wife, two boys, and I had a pop up trailer last year and it’s been fantastic at showing us how much more comfortable camping is in a warm unit off the ground so we are looking at upgrading to a hard trailer, a 2018 Avenger ATI 26BB, seems like an awesome value for the price, just wonder if they
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forums from Manitoba. You didn’t mention your tow vehicle so you have to take that into consideration as well. What ever you get have fun.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #9

Welcome from NY. Bunks make good storage when kids are gone.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Welcome to the forums from Manitoba. You didn’t mention your tow vehicle so you have to take that into consideration as well. What ever you get have fun.

Thanks! 2002 Toyota Sequoia with a 6500 lb tow rating. The trailer is 7500 lb gross 4600 lb dry. All the province seems to care about is that we don’t exceed the GVWR and GAWR of our vehicles. I don’t think we’ll carry more than 500 lb of stuff in the trailer ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Welcome from NY. Bunks make good storage when kids are gone.

Hello! Maybe, but 26 foot is still a big unit. Bigger than what we ever intended on buying.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkazzed View Post

Thanks and hello! This unit is bigger than we ever thought we'd buy. We had no issues with our tent trailer, we only used it for a warm space to sleep and stayed outdoors otherwise. We do only have two boys 7 and 9 so the double bunk setup is perfect until they stop camping with us and it's time to move to a couples type trailer. What was your old trailer and what is the new to you one?

The trailer we're moving out of is a 30' 2005 Fleetwood Orbit travel trailer. It was a good trailer, nothing fancy but everything worked. The problem was it had no slides, and two of our three boys now out-weigh the 150lb limit on the upper bunk. Add a few little inconveniences and we decided to go shopping this last fall. We bought a 41' 2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K. Heavier bunks and four slides makes for a lot more room. It even has a desk where we can set up our ham radio! (myself, wife, and oldest son are all licensed) We were annual seasonal camping in the Orbit, but we are now moving into a long-term seasonal site with the Silverback so it will get to sit in place. We got a nice deal on the Silverback considering how much of an upgrade it is otherwise might not have bought something that big.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
Coach

Hello and welcome from Western PA. When choosing your new or used camper, choose what best fits your needs and wants. I know I would rather lose a little sleep on feeling I paid a little too much over losing a lot of sleep over choosing the wrong rv because it was a good deal.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #13

We looked for a TT for 2,5 years
We looked at the two units you have listed . We purchased a 2019 FR. Flagstaff ultra light. Well built with 6 side aluminum frame. I like to see a little bit better insulation in it. We had a RV with a wood frame it shook apart in just 2 years . lost $ on the trade in. I hope the next owner has time and $ to fix the trade
Stickmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #14

Thanks for the welcome everyone. It took a little time for us to deliberate over the detail but we are now owners of this trailer. Now if only winter can go away.so we can start camping. In the meantime, gotta get my truck prepped for towing.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #15

Hello from Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro80 View Post
The trailer we're moving out of is a 30' 2005 Fleetwood Orbit travel trailer. It was a good trailer, nothing fancy but everything worked. The problem was it had no slides, and two of our three boys now out-weigh the 150lb limit on the upper bunk. Add a few little inconveniences and we decided to go shopping this last fall. We bought a 41' 2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K. Heavier bunks and four slides makes for a lot more room. It even has a desk where we can set up our ham radio! (myself, wife, and oldest son are all licensed) We were annual seasonal camping in the Orbit, but we are now moving into a long-term seasonal site with the Silverback so it will get to sit in place. We got a nice deal on the Silverback considering how much of an upgrade it is otherwise might not have bought something that big.
I hope being double bunks the weight limit is closer to 250-300. Neat with the ham radio operation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmam View Post
We looked for a TT for 2,5 years
We looked at the two units you have listed . We purchased a 2019 FR. Flagstaff ultra light. Well built with 6 side aluminum frame. I like to see a little bit better insulation in it. We had a RV with a wood frame it shook apart in just 2 years . lost $ on the trade in. I hope the next owner has time and $ to fix the trade

Most trailers are wood frame and seem to last a long time.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #16

Did our demo of our trailer today. We officially pick it up March or April. Can’t wait for winter to be done with so I can resume my two favourite things in life: camping and motorcycling. Behind my wife and kids of course.