Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #1

Hello From CA

I'm new to the forums. Hubby and I purchased a 2009 Rockwood 2501ss last year, and have loved it! My husband has recently changed jobs and works now on saturdays - we haven't been able to camp much on weekends since! Now that summer is here, I think maybe I should take the trailer out with my boys and let the hubby come find us when he gets off work. Trouble is, I don't know how to handle the trailer. Any suggestions on the best way to learn how to pulling, parking and setting up the trailer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
clu5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #2

Congrats on the camper and to the forum. I'm sure that you will be able to get a lot of pointers here.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Salem 26TBSS

Go slow.....seriously, ride the right lane and let everyone pass you. Ask your husband to hook up the trailer on his night off and have you learn to drive it. Try braking in an empty parking lot so you can learn how much more distance you need and how much quicker you'll need to be on the brakes from now on. After you see how your husband hooks up the trailer, do it yourself. Ask him what do you do if one of the trailer tires goes flat. Try backing that trailer into a space in the empty parking lot (or better yet find a camp site with a pull thru space) and learn how to use the mirrors when backing.

Some trailer hitches need to be unhooked before backing up. Ask hubby about that too.

Practice these points and you should be good for a test run.....

Mike D
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have the proper motivation, so I'm sure you'll find a way.

Good luck!
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #5

Hey, Tuesday and Wednesday are my days off, have always had week days off of some sort. I love it! I can get a parking spot at Costco or Home Depot without waiting, there is never a line at the ski lift, the campgrounds are always empty and I rarely need reservations and I don't have to share my favorite Jeep trails with the rest of the world. It can be hard if you have school age children though.

Time behind the wheel getting used to the way things work is all it takes. My wife headed out with our rig this morning while I came to work. I will join her later today. Like the others said. Take it slowly and get out there.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote