Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Hello from Chapel Hill, NC - Toad Question from a FROG

Hello everyone. My DW (I believe this is the right term for my honey of 45 years) and I recently entered a "late-stage" mid-life crisis. We purchased our first MH, a 2017 25' Forester MBS Model 2401WS. We have owned "Harvey (the "RV") for a few weeks, and had a wonderful trip to RV Wholesalers in Ohio with camping at Indian Lake SP and even a stay at a West Virginia Wal-Mart on the way home (we needed to see how sleeping in SAM's parking lot would works - it was great.

We plan to spend a week in Grayson Highlands SP in mid-August and then begin a trip we have been wanting to do for a lonnng time (ever since John McCain was a boy) to eastern maritime areas of Maine and Nova Scotia. We plan to start out in early September and visit Nova Scotia, the Cabot Trail, Acadia NP, Bay of Fundy, Campobello, Boothbay Harbor. Anyone with special places we should see and things to do, roads to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

We also have "Minnie" (as in "Minnie Driver"), our 2001 Miata SE, 6 speed with manual transmission. It weighs a rip-roaring 2,400 pounds and the plan is for "Harvey" to tow "Minnie" to Nova Scotia and hopefully western national parks next year. I have been reading many many blogs on flat, dolly, and trailer towing pro's and con's, but our base weight is close to 10,000 pounds, our GVWR is a little over 11,000 pounds, and our GCWR is a little over 15,000 pounds. Tongue weight limit is 350 pounds. Doesn't leave a lot of room for "stuff", especially if you deduct a few hundred pounds for the tongue weight of a trailer. We are leaning towards flat towing Minnie using a Blue Ox tow bar-base plate system and an Airforce 1 "Stay in Play Duo" brake controller that doesn't require air brake support from the TV. If anyone has any experience or suggestions on our towing plans they would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks to all. Looking forward to staying in touch.
CarolinaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog, toad