Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #1

Hello from DC

Let me start off by stating this is my first travel trailer. I have been camping in the past but not with a RV. I am married with 2kids (2 years and 6 months), and I have 3 dogs. I am in the military, so I wanted to buy a trailer for more family time when I am home.

I just bought a Forest River Wildwood X-lite 261BHXL. I have a lot of ideas what I want to get for sewage and electrical hookups but I am turning to the experts for the ultimate advice.

My main thing right now is sewage. I was looking at the dominator series, or the camco series (rhino flex). Thoughts?

Also, looking for some ideas for traveling with 3 bigger dogs. All input is appreciated.
Bwright87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:34 AM   #2

Thank You for your service.
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Myself I use the rhino and have two 10' length. I travel with two large dogs often. Get plenty of poop bags they need to stop every 5 to 6 hours and I have sleeping pads for them for the floor of the trailer. they travel inside the truck with me on the flat floor.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your Wildwood X-Lite 261BHL TT !
Old 10-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #4

Electrical hook up is as simple as plugging the standard "shorepower" cord into the post at the campsite. Water is as simple as connecting that white hose.

Sewer hookup is similar. Use the dealer's overpriced "starter" kit hose until you get some experience as there are dozens of options including a macerator pump like we use. Black (toilet) tank valve should remain Closed until at least 3/4 full (or you depart); grey (sink/shower) tank valve can remain open until the last night; use it to rinse the hose after you dump the black tank.

A Ford Expedition EL (extended wheelbase) will handle your trailer and family easily. The 3 big dogs would get their own 3d row seat or the area behind the 2d row. Standard wheelbase model like I have will work if you don't carry a lot of "camping stuff" in the cargo area.

In my neighborhood Pocahontas State Park is a great place to learn to camp. Close enough to Richmond (and Fort Lee) for all those things you determine you need after you're on site. Richmond Zoo, dozens of battlefields, RV dealers, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. a few minutes away. Less than 3 hour drive so you'll feel you went somewhere.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

When we bought our first (still own it) RV in 2016, we looked to save money, until we got the hang of it (took one weekend trip). We bought the Camco Revolution 20ft (comes with 2 10ft sections) sewer hose kit at Wal-Mart. It worked well, even when wintering in Fla. What helps is a sewer hose support, to keep it off the ground and angled down toward the sewer.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. I do like the rhino Set because it seems that a lot of people use it and that Camco makes all parts needed for it.

Forest River
Wildwood X-lite
261 BHXL
2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost
Bwright87 is offline   Reply With Quote