Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
FatStrat

Hello from East Central Florida...

For years...the wife and I have owned a couple of slide in truck campers. We'd hookup our utility trailer, load up our motorcycles and head out. Our latest is a Lance 850. It's a very high quality build. We lugged the rig around with a 1996 Dodge 2500 long bed diesel that I bought new in 96. This was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. In twenty six years of ownership and hundreds of thousands of miles...it never left us on the side of the road. The Cummins 12 valve has lived up to it's reputation. She "Chuffs and Clanks" but she'll get you there.
Two weeks ago, we decided to upgrade to a new truck. We bought another Dodge Diesel. Instead of cramming ourselves into our slide in again, we decided "What the heck, Let's upgrade the camper as well". Soooo... we bought an XLR 3212 Toy Hauler. We haven't taken delivery of it yet. It's being prepped now, and will be ready for for delivery in three days.
There isn't any owner reviews on line that I can find, so the only information that I can gather is from official company publication, and what I can decipher with my own eyes. From what I see...it appears to be a quality unit. Time will tell.
At any rate...if anybody can impart any wisdom concerning my new camper, I'd greatly appreciate it (quickens the learning curve).
Thanks All. Looking forward to the camaraderie that forums such as this bring.

F.S.
FatStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to he forum and congrats on your purchase of a XLR 3212 Toy Hauler. You can go to the sub heading for XLR tow hauler and post your questions there as a lot of knowledgeable folks there. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-14
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
Campaholic

Welcome to the forum from Winnipeg Manitoba
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from Southern California!
Congratulations on the new truck and camper. Be sure to video the entire PDI and absolutely sure EVERY system is properly demonstrated and demonstrated to work properly. Do not not handover any remaining monies until ALL defects are fixed.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatStrat View Post
There isn't any owner reviews on line that I can find, so the only information that I can gather is from official company publication, and what I can decipher with my own eyes. .
The dealer should do a 'walkthrough' of the unit from hitch to ramp, both inside and out, and demonstrate how everything works. Some people video tape the walkthrough to refresh their memory in the future.
Manuals are either provided with the unit or, more commonly, online from the manufacturer.
As CurtPutnam said... don't sign the finance/final papers until everything works to your satisfaction.
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
FatStrat

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I'm sure that I will be drawing on y'alls expertise and knowledge going forward. Although I am retired after having been an OTR trucker for 45 years...this pull behind camper thing is a whole different animal. Balancing a trailer truck, weight wise, is much easier than balancing a camper. With a trailer truck, the fifth wheel and trailer wheels slide so as to distribute weight. With a camper, it's a matter of shifting the freight around. Gotta develop a rhythm. Trial and error. Seek advice. Lots to learn.
Thanks again.

F.S.
FatStrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida