Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #1

Smile Hello from HSV, AL

Hello All,

After what seems like endless research and contemplating, my wife and I bought our first travel trailer - a 2015 Coachman Brookstone 325RL. Probably a little big for our first, right? We were originally looking for a bumper-pull in the 28' range but we know so many (friends and family) who have started small and wish they had gone bigger - so we just went for it. We literally got the horse before the cart as my Tundra would not even think about pulling the trailer. My TV is on order hopefully to arrive in a few weeks. Again, after a lot of research and calculating (I'm an over-cautious Mechanical Engineer) I went with a GMC 3500 SRW. This will be my daily driver so I did not want to get a dually. We can't wait to take our first trip. We don't have kids but will be traveling with our 'fur babies' - two rescued Boston Terriers.
Anyway, I look forward to actively participating in this forum community exchanging ideas and stories. While I am waiting on the truck to arrive I plan on tinkering and accessorizing (surge guard, satellite, battery upgrades to name a few).
D LBRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2015 Coachman Brookstone 325RL. IMHO you did right by going big. Have fun doing your mods! Are adding roof vent covers on your list?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #3

Welcome From HSV, AL

I think I saw another from HSV. We may need to start our own sub-forum.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2015 Coachman Brookstone 325RL. IMHO you did right by going big. Have fun doing your mods! Are adding roof vent covers on your list?
Thanks Wiscampsin! I looked at the roof vent covers this past weekend at Camping World....should they be on my list? I see the obvious benefit of being able to vent the bathroom while raining and maybe the peace of mind in being able to run the fan unattended or while sleeping without having to worry about rain. I'm hesitant to touch the roof yet....do they install without having to mess with the seal around the stock/factory vent?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
Hey StoneyG - we see so many RVs in and around the Rocket City that I figured there would be representation on this forum....
Old 03-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #6

Welcome from right here in Madison, AL. Congratulations on the new RV, fun times ahead. You should check out the thread for the Alabama Frog Rally, it will be in October, hope to see you there.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D LBRS View Post
Hey StoneyG - we see so many RVs in and around the Rocket City that I figured there would be representation on this forum....
And there's at least one more. I'm on many RV forums and this is among the best. Hope you enjoy RVing as much as we do. Let me know if we can help with anything.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Wiscampsin! I looked at the roof vent covers this past weekend at Camping World....should they be on my list? I see the obvious benefit of being able to vent the bathroom while raining and maybe the peace of mind in being able to run the fan unattended or while sleeping without having to worry about rain. I'm hesitant to touch the roof yet....do they install without having to mess with the seal around the stock/factory vent?
IMO they should be near the top of your list for the reasons you stated. You can also leave the roof vents open when you don't use your camper for some ventilation in the hot summer. No need to worry about messing with the roof seals as they mount to the flange of your roof vent. I prefer the MaxxAir II but there is the Fantastic Ultrabreeze vent cover too. Here's a link to a video on the installation of the MaxxAir so you can see how it's done. Very easy to do and IIRC it took be about 10 minutes to install each of mine.

Link: Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxair II
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cheater! Everybody knows you start with a pop-up (or one of those tiny teardrop trailers) then a 20-footer THEN you graduate to the big boy toys! ;-)

Welcome to the FR family...I'm watching a youtube video of your Coachmen Brookstone BKF395RL...she's a beauty!!

(I work for MDA and have been TDY to HSV many times!!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, yes, buying stuff for the RV is a full-time winter passtime...we've spent a small fortune and are, now, looking at portable generators!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Hello All,

After what seems like endless research and contemplating, my wife and I bought our first travel trailer - a 2015 Coachman Brookstone 325RL. Probably a little big for our first, right?
<SNIP>
Again, after a lot of research and calculating (I'm an over-cautious Mechanical Engineer) I went with a GMC 3500 SRW. This will be my daily driver so I did not want to get a dually.
<SNIP>
While I am waiting on the truck to arrive I plan on tinkering and accessorizing (surge guard, satellite, battery upgrades to name a few).
Welcome to the forums from...yup, you guessed it, Huntsville, AL!!
Congrats on the new TT it sounds like you chose well!
You are smart too - not only did you buy your "next unit" first, you got REALLY smart and bought a 1T truck!

Ahhh you like to Mod your rig do you? You'll fit right in here! our 5er does not even resemble a stock Rockwood anymore [hint: my last mod was installing a slide out tray in our basement ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
Quote:
Yeppers! we sorta have our own thread in Alabama FROG, If you and StonyG are interested in getting on our mailing list, please send me a email - bob AT williamsnet DOT org

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
Welcome from right here in Madison, AL. Congratulations on the new RV, fun times ahead. You should check out the thread for the Alabama Frog Rally, it will be in October, hope to see you there.
Indeed we do hope ya'll can make it -- we are expecting 0+ rigs this year and perhaps even 40+ -- if ya'll join us, ya'll can make that magic 40 a reality

We are also members of the Cottonpatch Good Sam club, based here in Huntsville. If any of you locals are interested in the Good Sam club, drop me a line. We had a pretty good campout at Blue Heron over last weekend & the Good Sams schedule campouts every month at various places close to Huntsville (Penny - we will be going to Mill Creek in June!)

(Mill Creek was the site of the first BamaGanza FROG Rally)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #12

Welcome and Congrats on you new unit fomr SW Georgia. Tell the dealer to hurry up an get the TV so you can go RVing. I Beleive Spring has Sprung, except for the EASTER cold snap.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Congratulations on your new Brookstone. Hope you have many miles of smiles.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote