Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by North to Alaska View Post
Well aware of that. especially pop-outs.
non-pop-outs would need a major upgrade for winter camping.
Price difference might be worth it compared to the Lance trailers that are Winter capable.
What exactly do you think Lance does that makes them "winter capable?"

Not trying to be an a$$hole, but here's something I found on line, and my opinions:
Lance 4 Seasons Travel Trailer
Certified for warm-weather and cold-weather driving, the Lance 4 Seasons Travel Trailer is another awesome choice for wintertime journeys. Certified by WHOM??? What's certified even mean?

Here’s an overview of its seasonal features:

Insulated hatch covers, which can be snapped on or off depending on how cold it is outside. The covers are intended to prevent the cold from invading your RV, keeping you and your passengers comfy and happy.
Only addresses a very small area of your roof. I suspect it isn't any better than a piece of foam stuck in the vent, as many people use.

Azdel insulation, which replaces wood. This thermoplastic composite insulation stops the mildew, mold, and rot that often develops when wood is exposed to wet and wintry conditions for too long. Not only that, but this insulation adds soundproofing, too! Stopping mold and mildew has nothing to do with stopping COLD.

A water heater bypass, which is winterized for cold-weather use.Every WH has a winterizing bypass. But guess what - when you use it, you can't use the WH. So how does this help cold weather camping?

A ducted heating system made by Lance manufacturers themselves. This has hold tanks that can direct flow to the whole vehicle so each room is adequately and equally warmed.Lots of trailers have ducted heating, but don't tout it as "winter capable." Doesn't mention tank heaters, I wonder why? If you heat your trailer with electric heaters at a CG instead of the furnace, this ducted system doesn't help you much.

Dual pane insulated tinted windows that also have soundproofing qualities. Can't speak to this myself, but many threads here on the forum saying dual pane isn't worth the money.

Pros: With so much insulation, you don’t have to worry about being cold ever again if you’re driving a Lance RV. The soundproofing is just icing on the cake. Funny, I didn't really see any items in the list above that said anything about "so much insulation." How are they any different than the rest?
It all seems more hype than substance to me.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
What exactly do you think Lance does that makes them "winter capable?"

Not trying to be an a$$hole, but here's something I found on line, and my opinions:
Lance 4 Seasons Travel Trailer
Certified for warm-weather and cold-weather driving, the Lance 4 Seasons Travel Trailer is another awesome choice for wintertime journeys. Certified by WHOM??? What's certified even mean?

Here’s an overview of its seasonal features:

Insulated hatch covers, which can be snapped on or off depending on how cold it is outside. The covers are intended to prevent the cold from invading your RV, keeping you and your passengers comfy and happy.
Only addresses a very small area of your roof. I suspect it isn't any better than a piece of foam stuck in the vent, as many people use.

Azdel insulation, which replaces wood. This thermoplastic composite insulation stops the mildew, mold, and rot that often develops when wood is exposed to wet and wintry conditions for too long. Not only that, but this insulation adds soundproofing, too! Stopping mold and mildew has nothing to do with stopping COLD.

A water heater bypass, which is winterized for cold-weather use.Every WH has a winterizing bypass. But guess what - when you use it, you can't use the WH. So how does this help cold weather camping?

A ducted heating system made by Lance manufacturers themselves. This has hold tanks that can direct flow to the whole vehicle so each room is adequately and equally warmed.Lots of trailers have ducted heating, but don't tout it as "winter capable." Doesn't mention tank heaters, I wonder why? If you heat your trailer with electric heaters at a CG instead of the furnace, this ducted system doesn't help you much.

Dual pane insulated tinted windows that also have soundproofing qualities. Can't speak to this myself, but many threads here on the forum saying dual pane isn't worth the money.

Pros: With so much insulation, you don’t have to worry about being cold ever again if you’re driving a Lance RV. The soundproofing is just icing on the cake. Funny, I didn't really see any items in the list above that said anything about "so much insulation." How are they any different than the rest?
It all seems more hype than substance to me.
You are right, they don't make outlandish claims about their insulation because you can only get so much in the narrow space. Unlike others that claim r30 and r40 insulation....but with foil which is virtually worthless accept in certain situations.

I asked them what the r value on the 2185 is.
Response was
Sidewalls R12
Ramp R9
Floor R7
Roof R11

Their holding tank valves are inside the holding tank area. Electric control. If you notice that everyone elses valves are on the outside, under the belly where it freezes.

Funny thing though is that if you check over at the Lance forum, you will find that there are genuine happy winter campers who have had liitle or no problems camping down to zero degrees. They use less than half of a propane tank in a weekend doing so. You could say it's "certified" by the people who own them.
That trailer is also over $40k new though....

I can take someone else's trailer for $20k and winterize the crap out of it for another $5k to $10k

My wife's biggest issue is that trailer doesn't have enough space. We have 4 girls, 6 years and under.

Sorry, guess I came off as a sales guy for SOB trailer.
North to Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 AM   #23

All I can say is "good luck."

You'll soon learn to be skeptical.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
All I can say is "good luck."

You'll soon learn to be skeptical.
Skeptical yes, pessimistic no.
I'm here because of the wife's interest in the Shamrock/Roo 233s and 25rs. We may just scrap the winter camping thing period.

I have heard from the local selling dealer for Shamrock that while they will average over a couple hundered things wrong with their other RV's they get (and fix). The Shamrock (and Roo) have few ussues. He found out it is because the plant has 3rd gen employees.

I assume, since your handle is "rockfordroo", that you have a Roo? Has it had many issues?
Old 06-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #25

Welcome from Eastern Nebraska / Northwest Missouri. Good luck on your search.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #26

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes!
233s Roo or Shamrock?
2185 Lance?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by North to Alaska View Post
Skeptical yes, pessimistic no.
I'm here because of the wife's interest in the Shamrock/Roo 233s and 25rs. We may just scrap the winter camping thing period.

I have heard from the local selling dealer for Shamrock that while they will average over a couple hundered things wrong with their other RV's they get (and fix). The Shamrock (and Roo) have few ussues. He found out it is because the plant has 3rd gen employees.

I assume, since your handle is "rockfordroo", that you have a Roo? Has it had many issues?
Had a 2012 Roo 19 (see my signature) for 3 years. Only issue I had was a bad WH hot water valve. I think they've switched to a better valve since then. Moved to a Mini Lite with a Murphy bed as crawling over the DW to go to the bathroom a couple times a night wasn't cutting it (and she LOVED the huge bathroom!).

Old 06-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #28
bloodybill

hello and welcome
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote