Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

Hello from Kingsville, Ontario

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and joined recently while trying to decide on a new RV. I am part of a two car racing team that travels around Ontario in the summer to various race tracks competing in the Lucas Oil Sportsman Cup Series, fielding a Chevrolet Monte Carlo's.

The crew camps at each racetrack and I was going to use my old Viking Pop up that needs a new floor and some additional work when I started looking around at hybrids.

I first looked at the Rockwood Roo, was sold then found a Jayco with a slide out that I liked. However, I like some of the other options found on the Forest River products and the build quality appears superior.

I have a Ford F150 TI-VCT 3.5L V6 4x4 Supercrew with the short box so I only have a towing capacity of 7100 lbs so I'm concerned about trailer weight and payload. I really like the 21SS, but I think it would be too much for my truck.

I grew up camping but my wife has not so I am trying to convince her that she will enjoy it and on no race weekends we could go other places as well.

Dreamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #2

Welcome from New Jersey, Once you get the wife out there and camping she will probably enjoy it, There are plenty of units that would fit your needs.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio .
Old 01-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #4

Thank you. I'm hoping she will.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamon View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and joined recently while trying to decide on a new RV. I am part of a two car racing team that travels around Ontario in the summer to various race tracks competing in the Lucas Oil Sportsman Cup Series, fielding a Chevrolet Monte Carlo's.

The crew camps at each racetrack and I was going to use my old Viking Pop up that needs a new floor and some additional work when I started looking around at hybrids.

I first looked at the Rockwood Roo, was sold then found a Jayco with a slide out that I liked. However, I like some of the other options found on the Forest River products and the build quality appears superior.

I have a Ford F150 TI-VCT 3.5L V6 4x4 Supercrew with the short box so I only have a towing capacity of 7100 lbs so I'm concerned about trailer weight and payload. I really like the 21SS, but I think it would be too much for my truck.

I grew up camping but my wife has not so I am trying to convince her that she will enjoy it and on no race weekends we could go other places as well.

Hi and welcome to FRF!
Suggest that you post your Roo questions in the Roo sub-forum.
Since that engine is naturally aspirated and not the 5.0 v-8 or the Ecoboost, it's not going to have a lot of torque.
Does it have the factory tow package?
Will the wife be ok with the canvas bunk ends? Hybrids require more maintenance than a regular travel trailer, because of the canvas ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #6

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Hi and welcome to FRF!
Suggest that you post your Roo questions in the Roo sub-forum.
Since that engine is naturally aspirated and not the 5.0 v-8 or the Ecoboost, it's not going to have a lot of torque.
Does it have the factory tow package?
Will the wife be ok with the canvas bunk ends? Hybrids require more maintenance than a regular travel trailer, because of the canvas ends.
The truck does have the factory tow package and the back-up assist system. I did have a pop up that we used a few times and the wife was okay with that. I like the size of the hybrids and the fact that you can clean,restock, service it and then upon arriving open the beds.

Im thinking with the bathroom, and kitchen she will feel more like Glamping compared to pop up.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamon View Post
The truck does have the factory tow package and the back-up assist system. I did have a pop up that we used a few times and the wife was okay with that. I like the size of the hybrids and the fact that you can clean,restock, service it and then upon arriving open the beds.

Im thinking with the bathroom, and kitchen she will feel more like Glamping compared to pop up.
Well, what does the yellow Tire and Loading sticker, on the driver's door, say is your payload capacity?
It'll say something like Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". That amount needs to be able to handle the weights of the loaded tongue weight, anyone in the truck, cargo in the truck and the weight of the WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #8

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
Canadian Member

Welcome from the other side of Toronto.

If you do some searching on this forum you should be able to find someone who owns a Roo 21SS and if you can’t find what they weigh in an existing post you can try sending a PM.

I’ve owned a Roo and toured many Jayco units and I think the Roos are a much better quality unit. Not perfect or high end, but definitely above average.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote