Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Hello from Ky.

I have been "lurking" the FR forum while researching fivers. The wife and I decided on a Sabre 36QBOK and orderd a factory build last weekend. This will be our fourth RV. Started with a Coleman pop up, graduated to a Starcraft Antigua hybrid TT and trading a 2011 Outback 312Bh TT for the Sabre. We have two older kids (22,21)that have flown the coop and a almost 11yr old that has been raised RVing. He usually brings a friend when we travel or we are accompanied by our niece and two nephews...thus the desire for a bunkouse model. Oh..can't forget to mention my love of the outside kitchen. Had one in he Outback and it was a must for the new fiver...I look forward to being part of the FR and Sabre family.
speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Congrats and have a blast with the new Sabre!

Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #3

Thanks Cajun! We are Wildcats and bleed blue...good to hear from the SEC breathern!!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum! We bought a 365saq for the same reason. We have a 6yr old and 3 older teenagers who either don't go, or they all bring friends. Love having the space and all the kids around, even if it's 4-5 teenage girls and I have to chase boys away at 2:00am.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

BTW ... Being from Lexington, have you ever camped at the Horse Park? We are just north of Dayton, OH and I've thought camping there to visit the park and spend some time downtown.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #6

Ttrost,

We live 5 miles form the Horse Park. Very nice park with lots of mature trees and plenty of space between neighbors. All of the amenities (pool, tennis courts,playground, basketball courts) are very nice. The only complaint is the lack of sewer hookups. There are typically teens around as well as younger ones. Definately bring your bikes. You can ride into the Horse Park from the backside of the campground and enjoy viewing the horses and beautiful setting of the park.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks. That's exactly what we were planning on doing. I had read that they were working on, or planning, a bike trail into downtown. Do you if that exists? I use to do some stompin' around Lexington a "few" years back, and my daughter is determined she is going to be a Wildcat!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Yes...there is a new paved bike path from the Horse Park into downtown called the Legacy trail. The first five plus miles wanders through beautiful horse country. The trail enters an urban area once you pass New Circle Road and the trail ends at the YMCA on Loudon Ave. You have to ride the city streets from there into downtown in a "not so nice" part of town.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #9

Ttrost,

I noticed your TV is a 3/4 ton and the fiver you tow is spot on the same specs as the one I ordered. I also have a 3/4 ton 2500 HD with the 8.1L gas engine and allison tranny. What has been your towing experience and what type of hitch do you have? Any sage advice? I travel anywhere from five miles from home (Horse Park) up to 700 miles (Gulf Coast for Tgivng)
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My maiden voyage after owning my 365 for a solid 48hrs was towing it to Ft Myers Beach and my duramax did wonders. I ran 70mph almost all the way and got 10.5mpg down and back. It pulled much easier than the 6800lb TT that I had towing with a '06 2500HD 6.0. I don't have knowledge on how your big gasser is going to handle your 5er, but the truck frame is solid and has NO problems towing the load. I know I wasn't comfortable towing my "little" trailer with the gasser that I had, but then the newer trucks do much better. You should be fine for the trips you mention.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Forgot to mention that I have a Curt 16k hitch that I bought on short notice without much choice. I plan on getting upgrading to either a 20k Curt hitch or an AirSoft Hitch, before our March trip.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
My maiden voyage after owning my 365 for a solid 48hrs was towing it to Ft Myers Beach and my duramax did wonders. I ran 70mph almost all the way and got 10.5mpg down and back. It pulled much easier than the 6800lb TT that I had towing with a '06 2500HD 6.0. I don't have knowledge on how your big gasser is going to handle your 5er, but the truck frame is solid and has NO problems towing the load. I know I wasn't comfortable towing my "little" trailer with the gasser that I had, but then the newer trucks do much better. You should be fine for the trips you mention.
X2
My former 09 2500HD 6.0 had a workout towing our previous 9500lb TT, fine on flats but hills were changing gears like crazy and horrible gas mileage (7mpg).
The 6.6 TD we have now tows the heavier Sabre (12K loaded) with no problems at all, couldn't imagine trying that with the gasser though the GM frame could handle it.
BTW, Allison transmission only comes with the Duramax Diesel.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #13

I appreciate the reassurance on towing. I have been told by many that I will enjoy towing the heavier fiver alot better than the TT at 8000lb and 36ft. Only drawback will be my fuel cost but I'm used to it. Get about 7-8mpg towing now but I am not in it for the fuel efficiency since I only use the TV, on average, once a month. Most of my trips are 2 hours or less from home. I have two longer distance trips planned in 2013.

I have settled on the B&W turnover companion hitch. I ordered the trailair equiflex suspension and trailair rubberized pin box on the fiver. I have not installed the hitch yet so any feedback, negative or positive will be appreciated.

I purchased the TV used a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with the performance. I went to my local Chev dealer and got a build sheet indicating the 5sp allison transmission. Whatever is in there is mighty smooth!!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #14

I have the B&W companion and love it. I did not like the ideal of having bed rails in the truck when the hitch is removed,so that is why I went with the B&W. just make sure you torque the center bolt to 40ft lbs and the U bolts to 80ft lbs.

FYI you could get the Allison Transmission with the 8100 gas motor.
67redbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #15

Bowtie,

Thanks for the feedback!! Is removing it from the bed a one man job? It comes apart in two pieces, correct? How heavy is each piece? Used to do some power lifting when I was younger...the problem now is my mind says yes you can and my body says..Oh s@*$!!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
Camper Less Camping

My bad...GM did offer the Allison tranny only with the 8.1 gasser...that's great, you'll need every bit of it towing a heavier 5'ver.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #17
Site Team

Welcome to the Forest River Forums! I know I came to this party a little late but looks like you are in good hands hands.

Happy Travels!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote