Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2022, 08:18 PM   #1

Hello from Maryland

Hello from Maryland. My DW and I recently purchased a 2022 Surveyor Legend 19BHLE. We purchased it from Keystone RV in Greencastle PA, They were very helpful and the price was better than anyone else in the region.

After 20 years with a pop-up, DW told me she was not climbing over the couch to go to bed again. So having a Queen bed and an indoor bathroom will be quite the upgrade for us. Our first trip will be in early May, and that will be just a weekend to figure out what we really need, and what stuff we used to keep in the pop-up that can go!

I am sure over the summer we will find little things we want to change or tweak. I am sure I will go through the forums here for ideas. We did a fair amount of modifications to the old pop-up, so I am not hesitant about working on a travel trailer. I am sure the first things I will change will be to better tires, and probably increase the Solar. 80w is ok for maintaining the battery while parked, but might not be enough for a 3 day weekend. Lots to learn about this rig!
IPcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:45 PM   #2

Welcome and congrats on your new TT!!

I have the 2021 version of it. Great little trailer.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:57 PM   #3

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!

I agree with your wife. Climbing over to get out of bed is no fun.

New tires are an excellent idea depending on what type of tires are on that rig.
Be careful when making changes that you aren't voiding the warranty.
I don't see what kind of refrigerator is in that rig. That's usually the limiting factor as to how long you can camp off grid.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #4

Welcome; and yes, when the DW saw that she could walk from the queen size bed directly to the bathroom she wanted our RV.
On tires, you may find that one load range higher will be good for you. Our RV came with LR C - barely within the specifications of the RV.
We use our Honda 2000 at half power for a few hours each day and this has been perfect for us when off the grid. We also installed a voltage gauge so we always know the health of the battery.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:55 AM   #5

Welcome and congrats from Delaware!!!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:49 AM   #6

Thanks for the welcome!

We have the 12V DC fridge, the 80W solar, and 2 group24 batteries. Most trips we get park sites with power, but we have a 4 day trip to Assateaugue National Seashore this September, no electric there. I have a 150w panel that will work with the GoPower 10A controller on the trailer. So I could set it up as a portable, or switch out the 80W on the roof with the larger panel. The GoPower controller won't handle both panels. Things to think about.

As for the tires, it has the Castle rock tires, and I have read poor reviews of them. They probably will get us through the year, but i have doubts about long term. There is not a large cargo weight range on this trailer, and I can see how it would be easy to push the weight to max, So better tires are high on the list of things to do. I wonder if adding a shock absorber kit to the axle is worth it. I will have to do some research on that.

Other than that, drawer organizers, bins for pot storage under the dinette, a bin for sewer hose attachments, etc...are on the immediate list of things to do this spring. We are looking forward to our first trip.
IPcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:51 AM   #7

Welcome from south Jersey!
Old 03-26-2022, 08:21 AM   #8

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #9

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your 2022 Surveyor Legend 19BHLE.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:18 AM   #10
Campaholic

Welcome to the forum from Winnipeg Manitoba
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPcamper View Post
We have the 12V DC fridge, the 80W solar, and 2 group24 batteries. Most trips we get park sites with power, but we have a 4 day trip to Assateaugue National Seashore this September, no electric there.
As for the tires, it has the Castle rock tires, and I have read poor reviews of them. They probably will get us through the year....
Electricity use is such an individual thing that only experience is going to tell you how long your batteries will last off grid. One thing that help whether you are on or off grid is to get a cooler and put things like drinks in there to minimize the open/close of refrigerator. Also works as emergency backup if the fridge stops working.
As to the tires, weight and speed are not a friend of tires. We always do a visual inspection every time we stop. Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems help, but they don't monitor everything.. like tire tread separation. So keep the speed and weight down and do visual inspections. Some people never have trouble with the Castle Rocks.
Have fun shopping and enjoy the Seashore.