Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1

Hello from Norfolk, VA

Hello everyone, just joined the forum and looking for some advice. Shopping for a camper right now. Just been assigned a new duty station in San Diego, CA in March. Been shopping around for a few styles, currently interested in the Flagstaff V-Lite and the Wind Jammer even though the two models I am looking at our exactly the same which is odd. Scrolling through the pictures and noticed a few with fifth wheel setups on the 1500's. Heard that the crew cab models wont work with the fifth wheel setup? Like to get your input on this. Planning to purchase in Feb as I will be making the haul from Norfolk, VA to San Diego, CA. Biggest trailer I have pulled is a 18ft with two UTV's and three 4wheelers. So this will be my first camper and travel west of Nashville.

Deployed overseas in the Med right now, so my wife is looking at the campers and sending back her inputs. The camper will be a second home for two years at my new duty station.

Please pass on your thoughts. Thanks again

Bryan
*Shopping for Camper*
Navy CWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
GWG

Bryan: From personal experience; most (but not all) crew cabs have a very short bed (4 to 5 ft) and without a sliding hitch the ability to turn (or back) sharply will cause contact with the truck cab. So, be sure of the bed length and the free space from 5th wheel pivot point to truck cab rear wall. Most 1/2 ton rated P/U's cannot handle the weight of most 5er's and be within specs. Regardless of whether you decide on trailer or 5er DO NOT casually accept the manufacturers listed UVW provided on towables placards. Make the dealer weigh and provide certified scale weight ticket for empty unit; then decide if your expected added cargo will allow a weight within the GCVW of your tow vehicle and the towable. These details are important to having a safe combo. Good luck with your search.
GWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #3

Thanks GWG, the dealer I am talking to mention the Superglide fifth wheel hitch, he mentioned that it takes into account the 5'7'' bed. Says there more expensive than most. I am looking over the Flagstaff Classic Superlite, V-Cross 5er, and the Wildcat 5er. Hoping someone chimes in that they have the same setup that I'm asking about. The dealer will tell you anything to sell it.
*Shopping for Camper*
Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi Bryan and welcome to the forums!

You are smart to do some homework on RVs and trucks prior to buying. It's not uncommond for RV owners to find out bad news about their setup after the deal is done. With this said - have fun shopping for your new RV!

Terier

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Site Team

welcome to the Forum and what luck you are going to San Diego!!

good thing you're buying before you come out here.
RVs made in the Midwest(90% of all RVs)cost way more out here than in the rest of the country.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
H2oski

First Welcome to the website and a bigger thanks to you and your family for serving our country.

You will find there are a lot of good people here to answer if not all but most of your questions. Check out this website for a lot of info on weights and towing.

RV Camping & RV Lifestyle - Changin' Gears

Again WELCOME.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #7

well looks like I am back to the travel campers. Glad I have so much time to shop before I transfer.
*Shopping for Camper*
Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #8

For some of you that have the propride hitch, how do you choose what type to get? I am working a deal on a FlagStaff V-Lite and the dry hitch weight is 909lbs based on the manufacturer's website, however the dealer is stating 742lbs for the dry hitch weight. So do I get the 1000 or 1400lb version?
*Shopping for Camper*