Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 01:16 AM   #1

Hello from North Carolina

New to camping and just bought my 1st camper a new 2017 Oasis 25RS and got it for $15990 out the door. My 1st concern is going to be my TV. The empty trailer weighs 4630lbs and I'm hoping to pull it with a 2005 GMC Envoy with an inline 6cyc 4.2L (275hp and 275 lb/ft torque) on pretty flat level ground 200 miles to beach. The manual says the 4wd with 3.73 rear axle...tow weight max's out at = 5600lbs. My GVWR=4600lb and has a GCWR =10,500. I think I will be really pushing the limit of the vehicle but, I'm going to give it a shot. If things go south quickly, my next choice is going to be a 2006 Silverado 1500 2wd with a 5.3L V8. Does anyone have any experience that could help me understand how well the Envoy should pull this 25RS. I do have a Reece 10,000lb weight distribution hitch with sway control and I just added a Reece electric brake controller......but, the trailer has not yet been delivered to me. Any ideas on what I should be expecting.....remember I'm green...real green
scooter62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:34 AM   #2
Site Team

I hope you don't take offence but you'd be ill-advised to tow that trailer with an Envoy.
I wouldn't put any family members in the Envoy nor would I want to be anywhere near that combo on a road.
Please use the Silverado!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome from Mebane, NC. Yes your envoy will be overloaded. Dry trailer weight is the weight of the trailer without anything in it. On average people tend to add 1000-1500 lbs to a tt (travel trailer). So you are looking at 5600-6100 lbs loaded trailer weight. Ideal loaded tongue weight is 13-15% of the loaded trailer weight. You are looking at 730-915 lbs loaded tongue weight for that tt.

Now let's look at your envoy. Problem number one will be your short wheelbase vs a 30 ft trailer. I pulled a very similar sized trailer (but about 1000 lbs heavier) with an Armada and got pushed and pulled all over the place. Ended up trading for a 3/4 ton diesel truck (overkill but what I wanted at the time).

Problem number two is your tow vehicle (TV) capacities. Your gvwr is 4600. I suspect this leaves you with little to no payload. Look inside your drivers side door jam and you will see a tire loading g sticker. On it will be "occupants and cargo should not exceed x lbs". This is your payload. If the sticker doesn't exist (I'm not sure what year they started those) then check your manual for your payload. Subtract the weight of all passengers, pets and gear that will be in the tv when towing. This will be your available payload. Your loaded tongue weight needs to be less than available payload. Towing capacity is determined by vehicle gcwr minus loaded vehicle weight. If you have a curb weight add the weight of passengers, pets and gear then subtract that weight from the gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. You will find yourself over on every aspect with the envoy. Try doing the same calculations with the silverado and you will likely find a better Match.

Not sure where in NC you are but even better is to weigh your vehicle at a cat scale and hand calculate using actual loaded vehicle weights in the formulas above.

On edit: I see you are in Salisbury. There are CAT scales at the truck stops on 85 in Salisbury and Linwood.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your Oasis !
Old 03-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #5

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy your Oasis!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Hello and welcome from Mebane, NC. Yes your envoy will be overloaded. Dry trailer weight is the weight of the trailer without anything in it. On average people tend to add 1000-1500 lbs to a tt (travel trailer). So you are looking at 5600-6100 lbs loaded trailer weight. Ideal loaded tongue weight is 13-15% of the loaded trailer weight. You are looking at 730-915 lbs loaded tongue weight for that tt.

Now let's look at your envoy. Problem number one will be your short wheelbase vs a 30 ft trailer. I pulled a very similar sized trailer (but about 1000 lbs heavier) with an Armada and got pushed and pulled all over the place. Ended up trading for a 3/4 ton diesel truck (overkill but what I wanted at the time).

Problem number two is your tow vehicle (TV) capacities. Your gvwr is 4600. I suspect this leaves you with little to no payload. Look inside your drivers side door jam and you will see a tire loading g sticker. On it will be "occupants and cargo should not exceed x lbs". This is your payload. If the sticker doesn't exist (I'm not sure what year they started those) then check your manual for your payload. Subtract the weight of all passengers, pets and gear that will be in the tv when towing. This will be your available payload. Your loaded tongue weight needs to be less than available payload. Towing capacity is determined by vehicle gcwr minus loaded vehicle weight. If you have a curb weight add the weight of passengers, pets and gear then subtract that weight from the gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. You will find yourself over on every aspect with the envoy. Try doing the same calculations with the silverado and you will likely find a better Match.

Not sure where in NC you are but even better is to weigh your vehicle at a cat scale and hand calculate using actual loaded vehicle weights in the formulas above.

On edit: I see you are in Salisbury. There are CAT scales at the truck stops on 85 in Salisbury and Linwood.
__________________________________________________ __________
My Oasis 25RS was delivered today. I should mention that I had not physically seen it before today. Immediately, everything you said came into perspective. I honestly had no Idea it was going to look that big. All I had seen was dealership photos. Had I saw it 1st I would have never considered pulling it with the Envoy b/c of the short wheel base. However, I did weigh it at the CAT scale you mentioned. It came in at 5000# with just me and a tank of gas. That left me with only 750# for cargo and tongue weight.....so, I went ahead and got the 2006 Silverado (low miles) with the Vortec 5.3 and 3.73 axles, locking Diff and Z82 HD trailing/suspension package....I will swap the trailer brake on to the truck, mount the WD hitch w/sway control and hope the Silverado has what it takes to get me down the road....thanks again
scooter62 is offline   Reply With Quote