Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2017, 02:28 AM   #1

Hello from the Bay Area (NorCal)

New to the forum, soon to be new RV owner, and dare I say soon to be full-timer... After looking all over at different sizes old and new, I decided to go with a Forest River Wildwood X-lite 273qbxl for my wife and I, along with our 2 kids. I have been extremely excited, but nervous at the same time. I have been doing some research and trying to figure out if this is the right choice for us. I have lived off less, but it's a little different trying to get the kids to understand why we will have to take military showers and only keep the things we absolutely have to have with us. I will be picking up the trailer in 2 days and the closer it gets, the more I realize I don't know nearly enough...but I think experience is the best way to learn, and whether this ends up being for 6 months or 6 years, I think it will have a positive impact on the way we live. Anyways, I have a lot of questions about what things are absolute necessities, and what are just for added convenience or comfort(i.e. sway control, water pressure regulator, generator if not boondocking, possibly solar panels). I am sure that this time next week I will have 101 more questions and I will be either happy and proud or dealing with the worst type of buyers remorse, so until then. Glad to be a part of this forum and I look forward to hearing all your stories, advice, criticism and any other type of feedback.
JohnnyMac626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:51 AM   #2

That trailer is bigger than my first apartment .... It's too late now but you should have started with tent camping so your kids can appreciate the 'upgrade'.
Start with some 2-3 day trips *without* hookups (or even driveway camping) so you get an idea how much power, gas and water you consume. Then start addressing the limits. E.g. for me electric power was the first priority, gas and water was never an issue for 4-5 days.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #3
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal! Water pressure regulator YES. It is cheap insurance. Suggest also that you get a Progressive Industries surge protector or electrical management system. Again, cheap insurance. State parks generally don't (at least out here) and boondock sites will not have electric hookups. So, if you confine yourself to parks that have electric service then, no, you do not need a generator. I tend to look upon them as insurance though
Old 11-22-2017, 03:05 AM   #4

Thanks for the info, German and Curt... This was a choice that was not as "planned out" as I would like it to be. Just a series of unplanned events led to living in a hotel for over two months and spending a lot of money for a dirty, run down hotel near Sacramento. I figured at least this way our money will go towards something that is ours, and if we don't like the area we're in we can go elsewhere. I pick things up pretty quick and try to make needed adjustments. Just want to be safe and make sure I don't make some critical mistake and damage the electrical components or something else that I don't even know about yet... this is gunna be fun! At least I got an amazing deal on the unit, so if I break something, I can keep telling myself that when I have to pay to fix it.lol
JohnnyMac626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:53 AM   #5

Welcome from the Farmer/ Denton area of NC
Old 11-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #6

Welcome from SW Ohio , enjoy your RV .