Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 11:50 PM   #1

Hello from WI!

Hello everyone,

My wife and I recently purchased our 1st travel trailer! It is a 2020 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR. I will be pulling it with a 2014 Ram 1500 Bighorn, with the 5.7L Hemi. I had a Tekonsha Voyager trailer brake installed, as well as an Equal-i-zer hitch setup.

I have only pulled it 20 miles so far...mostly driving 55-60 mph. I'm fairly green to pulling a travel trailer of this size, so it's going to take some getting used to I'm sure.

Any recommendations or things to watch for on the trailer, pull vehicle, or pulling accessories guys? I always like having as much information as possible.

We have our 1st trip booked for this coming weekend.

Thanks for letting me join,

Jon
Mallard0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:38 AM   #2

Welcome! I am a bit larger so I'll let the others respond. You might also look a a thread for trailer accessories. We always carry a floor jack and extra blocks of wood.
Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:20 AM   #3

If you have access to a large empty parking lot and some orange traffic cones practice backing into a parking spot with the trailer. Some camp sites have very tight access so it helps to be a bit familiar backing up your rig a few times before you do it in front of a campground audience.

Adjust your trailer brake controller so that you can stop the truck and trailer, on flat ground, when going 5-10 mph with the manual control on the controller. (not using the brake pedal in the truck)

Keep an eye on the trailer for sway when driving highway speeds. You may need to adjust your WDH.

Allow for extra time to get to your destination. If Google Maps says the trip takes 2 hours, allow for 2.5 hours. I find that my trips are a lot more relaxing when I am not rushing to get to the campground or back home.

Make sure spare tires on truck and trailer are inflated. Torque the lug nuts on trailer wheels before leaving home. Don't trust that your dealer did this.

Don't get disappointed if you don't feel like an expert after a few trips. There is a fairly long learning curve with travel trailers, towing and maintaining. This forum is a great way to learn about all things RV.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:49 AM   #4

Welcome from Eastern Nebraska / Northeast Missouri....Go Have Fun !!!
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #5

Good advice from PSU..

Welcome from Arkansas
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #6

Welcome from another Wisconsinite and enjoy your 2020 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #7

Hey dere!
Do you have a set of towing mirrors or add on extensions. Always be checking the wide angle mirrors as you turn so you don't make a boo boo!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
RV There Yet?

Since this is a toy hauler...are you planning on hauling any toys in the garage? sometimes they need to be loaded backwards to balance weight. also, keep an eye on where your water tanks are. are they behind or in front of the axles? I have the (much) shorter 17RP and my fresh tank is behind the axle. makes for a LOT of sway when full! take your time, practice your turns, communicate with whoever you are camping with, and practice backing up. get out and look, talk to your spotter. best advice i can give, is get your wife to tow. My wife and I split the driving up and she can back with the best of them. if something happens to you, its always a good idea if she can take over. congrats on the camper and have fun out there!! oh, never forget that you can always ask fellow campers for help if you need it!
Old 05-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
Welcome! I am a bit larger so I'll let the others respond. You might also look a a thread for trailer accessories. We always carry a floor jack and extra blocks of wood.
Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
I keep a floor jack in my truck, so I'm covered there. Good idea on the extra blocks of wood. Thanks.

Jon
Old 05-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #10

IsleDog,

The only thing we'll be hauling in the cargo area as of now, is a couple kayaks.

Most of our family and friends ask why we went with this toy hauler then. To be honest, we both just really liked how open it is and the back gate/porch idea. Yet you still get a pretty nice bathroom and private bedroom.

The wife already asked me when she gets a turn pulling the trailer, so that's encouraging to me. I like that she's all in on this.

Jon
Old 05-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Hey dere!
Do you have a set of towing mirrors or add on extensions. Always be checking the wide angle mirrors as you turn so you don't make a boo boo!
I have a cheap set of extensions that I put on for now. I'll see how I like them and go from there. They seemed very helpful in the short drive home, so I'm encouraged by that.

Jon
Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard0322 View Post
IsleDog,

The only thing we'll be hauling in the cargo area as of now, is a couple kayaks.

Most of our family and friends ask why we went with this toy hauler then. To be honest, we both just really liked how open it is and the back gate/porch idea. Yet you still get a pretty nice bathroom and private bedroom.

The wife already asked me when she gets a turn pulling the trailer, so that's encouraging to me. I like that she's all in on this.

Jon
great to hear!! i forgot to mention, WELCOME from Winona MN!! we maybe haul bikes in the back one a year, otherwise we love having ours nice and open too!
Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
bloodybill

hello and welcome
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote