Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #1

Help! Hitch-selection trouble! :(

Hello everyone,

I'll start by saying I did look around a bit for a FAQ on this issue, and did not find out, please feel free to direct me there if it's easier than answering my question....

My husband and I are new to RV-ing. We just purchased a new 2014 Sierra fifth wheel, 32QBBS and it's 36'11" long. We also just purchased a new 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 super-duty diesel truck to pull it with.

We were advised to get a "slider hitch" (first question: do we need or want a slider hitch after all??). We purchased one, it came in, my husband began installing it, ran into trouble, and found out this hitch is for the 2012 Dodge Ram truck, and the one we need (2013) won't be available for another month. (the hitch place ordered the wrong one...). Today my husband found out that B&W hitches makes one that WILL work for his 2013 Dodge Ram truck, but they are back-ordered due to demand and it won't be available for another 2 weeks (we all know that means a month minimum....).

Both scenarios make us miss our first 2 reservations and a good third of the season will be gone by the time we get "hitched".

My question is -- considering our unit, our truck and our inexperience... do we NEED to get a sliding hitch or will a regular one do just fine??

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

I'll start with a hello and welcome. First question is your Dodge a shortbox? If so a slider is nice but certainly not an absolute, personal opinion.
jamesmeece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Hi! Yes, it's a shortbox. Thanks for your reply!
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Always Learning

They are, unfortunately, one of those things that you don't normally need, but when you do - you'd really like to have it.

Which of the B&W products was backordered? I'd contact them directly to see if they know of anyone who has them in stock. They're normally very helpful.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmeece View Post
I'll start with a hello and welcome. First question is your Dodge a shortbox? If so a slider is nice but certainly not an absolute, personal opinion.
X2