Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Talking HI!

New here. Currently have a teeny tiny pop up and will probably be upgrading late this year or early next. Have a Silverado 1500 as a tow vehicle. We are looking to get the largest bed possible within our tow capacity. 2 large adults plus 2 dogs. We do not want anything with soft sides. I really like the keystone outback 21rs but its outside of our tow capacity. I live in California and am looking at getting a good deal. Also the bed must be so both people can easily get off the bed (so one is not climbing over the other). I am looking at the Rockwood Roo 21RS.

Any suggestions? Comments? Good? Bad?

I really wish there was an option for us that had an outdoor grill+ burner and sink but I will survive without
sniffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I hope you find what ur looking for
Welcome to the forum
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

5th wheel or tt are you looking for?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #4

TT only because we dont want to deal with 5th wheel we have a fiberglass tonneau cover on the truck and use it a lot for storage (lol). We travel to events where our dogs compete (sporting/performance).
Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Hi!

What size engine is in your Silverado? We have an 05 Silverado Ext. Cab w/5.3L and pulled an 08 Flagstaff 831RLSS for 4 yrs and over 20,000 and no problems. Just traded for a 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS. When we dropped the new loaded trailer on the hitch, it only dropped 1", which I got back by adding air to the Firestone air bags. We also have an Undercover Tonneau cover and I am just starting to fab a new tonneau to cover the entire bed while towing the 5ver.
It will have 2 removable sections in the rear to access the hitch, wiring harness, etc. Won't be totally watertight, but should stop any air resistance on the tailgate.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #6

The truck is a 2004 Silverado 1500 V8 I believe its tow capacity is 6k? The popup we had was under 1k and I was originally towing it with my Chevy HHR and we decided we really wanted a truck again for many reasons of course now that we have it we want a bigger camper LOL.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #7

Oh I dont think it matters but its an extended cab truck of course the dogs have their own seat lol. Ive been really cautioned against not getting a trailer that has a dry weight near my max tow capacity. We were over with the HHR and popup and never had any problems but I dont want any costly repairs either. I dont think I would take the popup with the HHR up to truckee though too scared it would be too much work for it?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #8

sniffy: have you looked at the minilite 2109s ? It is a perfect trailer for 2 persons and it has a pull out. Your truck will pull this with no problems. It has a queen bed that you can walk around without jumping on the other occupant to get in. We have a 1809s very similar than the 2109s but the bed arrangement is different and we like the spaces inside these trailers. Including a picture of my rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05953.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	10937  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #9

I have looked at several with "queen" beds. At home we have a Cal King. When we stay at our inlaws we sleep on a queen air mattress with the dogs, it does not go well LOL. The bed in the 21RS is a 74x74 which gives us more width. Also if I had to decide between a dinette and a sofa w/table I would probably go sofa w/table but someone pointed out to me that if you are playing games you really want a dinette.

I know it seems really silly that the main reason we need a big bed is for the dogs but we let them sleep with us because all day when we are working they are crated and we feel bad enough about that, that I could not crate them at night. One is a tiny dog (9lbs) the other is only 23 lbs but he has super long legs and will push you right off when he stretches them out! I would post a pic but it looks like I have to have external hosting?

Honestly we were looking at getting a 19 ft just like yours with the couch slide until we recently stayed at the inlaws on the queen with the dogs for a event up that way LOL. I guess I could sleep on the couch as right now we each sleep at different ends of the popup and the dogs switch back and forth through the night ROFL.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
Site Team

you need to provide more info on your truck. it sounds like you have the smaller v-8 or even the v-6, with only 6000lbs. tow capacity.
need to know engine size, rear end ratio and if it has the factory tow package, not just an aftermarket hitch receiver.

this will help figuring exactly what your actual tow capacity is.

as a fellow Californian, prices out here are way more than elsewhere in the country. only RVs made in West Coast factories are competitive in price. and there aren't many factories out here.
i suggest getting some prices from RVW and RVDirect to get yourself started.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #11

It does not have factory tow package. I checked the door it says 6200 lbs gvwr gawr frt 3600 lbs gawr rr 3686
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #12

Got the manual out lol those numbers on the door must be just for the truck? So many different configs in there I will look under the hood but it's pouring rain right now.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
It does not have factory tow package. I checked the door it says 6200 lbs gvwr gawr frt 3600 lbs gawr rr 3686
those numbers are not towing numbers. those are strictly truck weight numbers. GVWR is the max amount your truck can weigh. the GAWR numbers are the max weights for the front and rear axle.

not having the factory tow package automatically lowers your tow capacity by a large amount. you'll need to duplicate that package to tow the type of trailer you're looking at.

if you would tell us the engine size and rear end ratio, we can get close to the actual tow capacity of your truck. or you can look in your owner's manual but you'll still need to know engine size and rear end ratio.

since you don't have the tow package, the rear end ratio is probably 3.18 or 3.23.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 03-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #14

It's 4.8 v8 and we believe based on option codes it is 3.42 according to the manual 2wd extended cab short box 6100 lbs max trailer weight.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
It's 4.8 v8 and we believe based on option codes it is 3.42 according to the manual 2wd extended cab short box 6100 lbs max trailer weight.
is that with or without the tow package?
you'll need to install all the components of the tow package, to tow a full height travel trailer.
Type III/IV receiver, transmission cooler, pre-wiring for a brake controller, 7-pin trailer connector wired in.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #16

It currently has a gm factory hitch installed and wiring harness is good. Does not have brake wiring installed yet or tranny cooler but if it's required it's not a big deal.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #17

Does anyone know of any other manufacturers/floorplans that have these rear slides? I really wish there was a site where you could pick specific things you were looking for and search ALL manufacturers.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #18

The only ones I've ever seen are the Roo/Shamrock and the Outback. We are getting the Roo 25RS and pulling it with a Ram 1500, but it has the factory tow package. My sister has the Outback 250RS and loves it. They pull theirs with a Silverado 1500 and have no trouble at all.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #19

I found palomino stampede s-216 and an aerolite 215bhks wondering if there are others.. its so difficult to find this stuff lol. Some sites list these under hybrids others do not its very strange. I really like the palomino except for the stupid table for the dinette. WHY if you have a large L shaped dinette you have a small oval table I dont think I could ever understand..
Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #20

Oh and the Aerolite cracks me up the floorplan says "slideout grill" which I would <3 BUT its actually a slideout stove! ROFL