Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

Hi from across the Pond!

Hi there - we have just purchased a Rockwood 8280WS - we're very new to all this and are so excited about collecting our new rig in mid December!
Hope to be able to pick up lots of hints and tips here...

We'll be touring Europe from mid January onwards - woohoo....! Can't wait!
All the best
Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Team

to the forums and congrats on your new RV! As for being able to pick up hints and tips . So many threads read the Best Seller List so there's enough to keep you busy for a very long time. Still have quesitons - ask! We are a friendly group.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Anacortesians

Welcome from an ex-pat Brit in the US. Originally from Leyland (Lancs), we emigrated in 1968 for me to join Boeing. I retired early (at 57) and we moved to this wonderful small town in northern Washington State.

After a disastrous first RV (an elderly Class C), we now own a used Class A that had been very carefully cared for by its previous owner.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the camper. Hope you enjoy your 8280WS as much as we have ours...3 seasons without a major problem and we still really like it.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
phat phrog stunt crew

welcome to the forum. we look forward to hearing about your adventures
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #6

Welcome and Congrats. Just curious, is your Rockwood being shipped from the US or is the a plant in Europe? Is RVing as prominent there as here (ie. campgrounds, parks and such?)
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the camper. Hope you enjoy your 8280WS as much as we have ours...3 seasons without a major problem and we still really like it.

Dave
Many thanks Dave - we can't wait to go and pick it up...mid December all being well - this forum is great - so much information and help!
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel702 View Post
Welcome and Congrats. Just curious, is your Rockwood being shipped from the US or is the a plant in Europe? Is RVing as prominent there as here (ie. campgrounds, parks and such?)
Hi there - our Rockwood came from the States - we found a dealer here...

We'd previously looked at RVs before deciding on a 5ver - having a separate vehicle makes sense for us - as for 5vers here - not that many but have a feeling they may catch on! We are off to Europe in the new year...! There seems to be a growing community of RV'ers though - and UK based forums are growing too...
Excited to be here too - thanks for the welcome!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #9

Rustic, welcome to the forum from another ex-pat Brit that made the move ten years ago. I'm sure you'll have a great time touring the UK and Europe in your new rig and I'm pretty sure you'll be the talk of the neighborhood with a fifth wheel. I don't ever recall seeing anything like them until we emigrated. What on earth will you be using to tow it with? I know most vehicles there are significantly smaller and the larger ones are taxed so heavily there aren't many to choose from. That and the cost of fuel, plus the narrow roads and camp grounds that have never seen the like of a 5er, you should be in for an interesting time. Best wishes for your travels and keep us all posted with your updates.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Rustic, welcome to the forum from another ex-pat Brit that made the move ten years ago. I'm sure you'll have a great time touring the UK and Europe in your new rig and I'm pretty sure you'll be the talk of the neighborhood with a fifth wheel. I don't ever recall seeing anything like them until we emigrated. What on earth will you be using to tow it with? I know most vehicles there are significantly smaller and the larger ones are taxed so heavily there aren't many to choose from. That and the cost of fuel, plus the narrow roads and camp grounds that have never seen the like of a 5er, you should be in for an interesting time. Best wishes for your travels and keep us all posted with your updates.
Hi there...! things have changed a tad since you were here - see 5vers at motor races and stuff like that - certainly not as common as caravans though! We looked at big RVs, and caravans, and finally 5vers - fell in love and that was that (that's the short version...actually only took us a week to find a great dealer and the rig we wanted..) its a US import which has been converted to UK - we are pulling it with a Ford F150 ... currently thinking of an LPG conversion for that...
Have found an invaluable guide - The Big Pitch Guide - which not only lists sites which take big rigs, but details routes in so we don't do the narrow roads and low bridges thing...also found a SatNav in which you can program your vehicle's height etc which should help...hubbie is a map person so between the 2, I'm hopeful we won't have too many horror stories! I shall be blogging our travels so may bore you all rigid with our travels...
Thanks so much for replying...
Old 11-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #11

You will be envy of all Europe! I have been working there in and out of there since 1982 and have never seen an USA 5th wheel travelling the roads or camp sites there.
Loader2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
phat phrog stunt crew

feel free to "bore us rigid". we would love to hear/read/see your adventures.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #13

Right now I am working in Dubai, next month in the states, Jan. who knows(?)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #14

OK, really curious - how popular is the LPG conversion over there?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #15

Rare, far and few between. Some government vehicles uses "flex" fuel or duel fuels just to say they are "doing their part"
Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #16

Hi again...thanks so much for the welcome...
We've been plotting and planning...gathering information about all the different things we'll encounter in Europe...LPG is one of the considerations - in France, its easily available as it is here in the UK - Italy and Germany a little more scattered...I have a guide which lists places where you can get LPG so if we do decide to do the conversion, this will be invaluable...
Contrary to popular belief, RVs and 5vers are becoming more common in Europe - so much so that sites now advertise whether they can accommodate big rigs and give sizes too...
If anyone wants any more info, give me a shout...
Rustie
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #17

Welcome aboard! Lots of great info here.