Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #1

Hi from Mountain Top, PA

I was born and raised in Long Island NY, moved to PA a few years ago. I have been lurking in the forum for a few weeks now as I try to make a decision on buying a travel trailer. Lots of great info here, thanks to all of you for your input.

I went to the local forest river dealer and looked at the sv-264. I really wanted to see the 291 but he didn’t have one in stock. The wife and I really like the 264 but we have 2 children and think the 291 with the bunks would work out better for us. My tow vehicle is a 2005 Avalanche 1500.

One quick question. I have a dog (lab), does anyone put their dog in the trailer while towing? I trying to figure out how I would take the dog with us. I have a new born and an 8 year old and their car seats take up most of the back seat not leaving much room for the dog.

Thanks
Jason
Jay68442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #2

Jason,
From Long Island - to the forum. Can't really help much with the dog situation but I'm sure that someone here will be able to.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Angry

you don't want to put your dog through the bouncing and movement that occurs inside a trailer.

i have read some people crate the dog and put them in the trailer.

i wouldn't put my Golden in there!
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #4

In no way am I looking to do harm to my dog. She is 11 now and I'm trying to figure out a way to make her the most comfortable when we travel. Having never sat in a travel trailer while being towed I have no idea if this is a good idea or not.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

What is your tow vehicle? Can you crate her in the bed of the truck or if it is an SUV in the back cargo area? I wouldn't recommend putting her in the trailer.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Popes View Post
What is your tow vehicle? Can you crate her in the bed of the truck or if it is an SUV in the back cargo area? I wouldn't recommend putting her in the trailer.
My TV is a chevy avalance. More of a pickup truck than an suv.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay68442 View Post
My TV is a chevy avalance. More of a pickup truck than an suv.
i have an '07 Avy and love it. it's a great tow vehicle. we take our 11 year-old Golden, Zoe, camping with us all the time. but we don't have any kids.
last year, though, we did take Zoe, the DW's G-ma and her little 11 year-old Yorkie, Little Bit, to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs. we all rode in the Avy and everyone was comfortable.
we all camped in our Roo a total of 10 nights.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

You should not put the dog in the trailer. In the years before we got our first Suburban, our dog sat between us in the front seat of the truck. Later, she had the middle area of the Suburban. In your case, your dog needs to be in the back seat area. Nothing living should ever ride in the trailer during travel, except the usual bugs and spiders that are always in it anyway.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #9

Hi and welcome. Our tow vehicle is a 2007 Avalanche, and we tow a v-cross 27-vfk. We have a 40 lb. mix breed and would never consider putting him in the trailer while towing. My wife and I went to Florida from Ontario, Canada this past winter with him and we also took my daughter and her son who was only 8 mo. old and had to ride in a car seat. Most of the trip my daughter and I were in front and Gramma and the baby and dog were in the back. A lot of the dog's (Pouter) time was spent on the floor below the babies car seat, where he seemed to be quite comfortable and enjoyed the ride. I'm sure you will find a solution. Good luck. Old Guys