Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Hot in East Texas

Hi, we are not new to camping been draging TT around for 25 years. Just bought a new Puma 30kfb 2 days ago. Found out from this site that the Stat has issue when it gets 110 plus inside.

Want to say thanks to all who make this forum possible. I would have taken it back to the dealer, but follow suggestion and placed ice pack on the stat and it is working fine now.

Hopfuly will see some of you around, we go un to North Ark East Texas and Alabama.

God Bless
bwstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
MovinSue

Though I did not have issues with the thermostat-thank goodness--I feel your pain! If you were in East Texas around Aug 5-6, I measured 108 degrees--Wicked Hot. And that is not a "feels like" temp--that was actual!

I am from Florida and have never experienced that kind of heat! The RV would only cool down to about 85 degrees inside running continuously with all windows covered with reflective insulation that I keep aboard under the bed for when I put it in storage. I took it out and kept it out for most of my trip through the Midwest.

Post when you resolve your problem with the thermostat (that is IF it is resolvable other than packing in ice) OK?

2013 Lacrosse 323RST TT
Towing Cassie the Dog, a privileged Bichon frise

Winters in FL--Summers in Northern CA
MovinSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

yes. it is hot in E. Texas. we are expecting 108 again today and that is next to a lake.

it was also hot in NE La....abt the same as here.

we arrived yesterday and i am running 2 ac's. the temp was comfortable after a couple hours.
the highest temp i've been in was S. Dakota in 2005. it was 114. went swimming and the water was ice cold...
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new camper!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #5

Hot in all of Texas! we spent 5 days at Livingston S P last week and we had no issues with AC keeping up it was triple digits all week long. TT stayed about 73-75 degrees with no problem. We only have one AC unit in our TT.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

i'm on a lake near tyler at the moment. no shade. i am running two. i believe 1 would cool the lower part but the upper part would be warmer.
went thru temps like this in cody abt 6 yrs ago. a/c didn't quiet keep up. would run all day and wouldn't shut off till around 10pm. trailer was comfortable.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #7

I am a Canadian and this time last summer we were in Texas during a heatwave... Most days around 110. Our new air conditioner broke down... Reduced our vacation to a story called "Man against nature" or should I say... Man, wife, and five cranky kids against nature.
Although we now have a new unit... I resisted the temptation to visit my girl Freind in north Carolina this summer. I fully recommend Colorado as a perfect American destination for summer travel... Nice and cold at night, hot during day... Good scenery.....
I will come and see the south again in the winter.... Bless you guys for your fortitude in finding fun in such a hot place!

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #8

Dometic is sending a new thermostat to my dealer that is supposed to be calibrated to turn the unit on when the temp is above 110 inside the TT. Will let you know if it works.

I live in East Texas, this is one of the hottest years since 96 it was hot then.
bwstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #9

They reported yesterday that Oklahoma's overall average July temp (I believe it was 89.1º) set a record for the hottest month for any month, anywhere in the U.S since 1895.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote