Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

Howdy! Bringing home a new Rockwood Mini Lite 240s

My husband and I are bringing home our new baby - a Mini Lite 240s!

We are first time camper owners, and aside from forking over a ball-o-cash need to figure out where to start. We've been avid tent campers and hikers for years, and I'm just done with sleeping on the ground and freezing all night in Big Bend. We'll be traveling with our 2 fur-kids and the occasional friends and family.

What sold me on this particular model was the murphy bed option giving us both a nice sleeping arrangement and plenty of room during the day. That and it's comparatively tiny. Learning to haul a trailer with a 30+foot something just seemed daunting.

The first thing to decide I guess is to put liquids in it or not for our first time out. We live in Austin Tx so the winters are very mild, but Id hate to use it once and then get a freeze and worry about it.

Any other southerners have opinions about the need to winterize when living where it rarely freezes for more than a few hours?

Cheers,
AK
Amanda K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Welcome from Southern Illinois and Congrats.

Sorry that I cannot speak to winterizing for your climate. Others near you may respond.

Good luck.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Team

Congrats on your new toy.
Did you have a thorough PDI during delivery (aka all water systems working)? If not I would add water and test everything, then winterize. This way you can return it to dealer during off season to correct. If everything was demo-ed at PDI, I would leave the winterization and just bring water in jugs. You can use the black and grey tanks as there is little to winterizing them other than making sure they are drained. Winterizing takes less than an hour ( first time) and about $5.00 worth of pink stuff.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #4

Thanks!

We pick it up on 12/3 from FuntownRV in Waco Tx. Testing the water lines sounds important, anything else in particular we should pay attention to during the PDI?
Amanda K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum from NW Florida and enjoy the new TT
Old 11-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Pay attention to any thing new to you. Take pics and even video tape sections of the PDI which is easy to do with a smartphone. A good dealer will check everything out and take care of it prior to your arrival. Don't assume that everything was checked or works correctly. This is also a learning opportunity for you so be sure to test everything.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Under the library tab there is are several PDI checklists. Make sure the dealer demonstrates how ( and that ) everything works, heat,WH, AC,water system, Fridge, etc. Make sure you know what operates on 12VDC and what operates on 110VAC and where all the fuses and breakers are. Pick up some spare fuses at WalMart. Ask them to show you where and how to winterize. If you are unsure about any demonstration, video it with your phone. I recommend not signing any paperwork until it is the way you want it. "Just take it now and bring it back later on and we will fix it" means it could sit on a crowded dealer lot for some time. Do not accept it is already winterized so we can not demo water system. Re-winterizing takes them less than 20 mins and $5 worth of pink stuff. Ask for the build sheet. It is provided by FR and lists the make,model and serial # of all installed OEM equipment. Very important when you need parts or service later on.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #8

Welcome from BC, and Congrats!!!!

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Congratulations on the new Mini and welcome to the site from SW Idaho.

Tags
rockwood, rockwood mini lite