Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

How's it goin' eh? - from London Ontario.

Hi All,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I live just outside of London Ontario and am looking to purchase a travel trailer. We went to the Toronto International RV show this past weekend and were blown away by what is out there for trailers. We have a 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel with the towing package so now we just have to figure out what we can pull with it. So far our front runners are a Salem Cruise Lite 281BH, a Salem 26TBUD, or a KZ Sportsman S280BH. I am still researching but essentially want something with bunks for the kids and a separate room us.

JJ
JJW97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #2

A quick Google search on your TV indicates it could pull both all three models. The 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0-liter Diesel can pull up to 7,400 lbs max - you should double check that! (The Salem 26TBUD might be a stretch if fully loaded but you could pull the Dry Hitch weight easy)

Have you considered the Forest River Wildwood series instead of the Forest River Salem Series?

They are sister trailers made be the same manufacture (Forest River) just different decals and interior finishes (fabric and such).

The reason I ask is RVWholesalers in Ohio carries the Wildwood line and the have excellent prices. When we were looking they beat the best Canadian price we could find by $3,500.

We are driving across the border to pick up our new trailer over the March break (we are in the Toronto area). They cater to the Canadian buyer and will provide virtually everything you need to get back into Canada (except a passport). For an additional price they will deliver it to your door in London.

WildWood 281BH
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...series=XLiteTT

Wildwood 26TBSS
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ies=WildwoodTT

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #3

Thanks for the great info Barney1!
JJW97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Further to what Barney1 said, I recommend pricing locally but also with the internet dealers in the US. RVW and RV Direct to name a couple and there's a lot of dealers in Michigan.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #5

We are going to RVnation to pickup our Vibe this weekend. We figure we saved over $4000 and that is taking the fuel, hotel and RIV fee into account. If you are thinking about Michigan I believe you have to pay state tax, in Ohio if the Rv is being exported to don't pay tax, just incase you are thinking of buying in the US.
There are a lot of dealers close to the Canadian boarder that deal with getting RV's into Canada.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #6

We got ours in Michigan and paid no state taxes as it was considered an export and they gave us papers in case we got stopped for not having a plate. Old Guys
Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

I stand corrected. I was going by what my brother in law said when he was looking for used cars.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJW97 View Post
Hi All,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I live just outside of London Ontario and am looking to purchase a travel trailer. We went to the Toronto International RV show this past weekend and were blown away by what is out there for trailers. We have a 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel with the towing package so now we just have to figure out what we can pull with it. So far our front runners are a Salem Cruise Lite 281BH, a Salem 26TBUD, or a KZ Sportsman S280BH. I am still researching but essentially want something with bunks for the kids and a separate room us.

JJ
Hi
We are just waiting for our trailer to arrive - we just bought a Wildwood travel trailer (30KQBSS) and are super excited!! We are North of Toronto and found a really good deal at a local dealer. Good luck trailer shopping!
michellemiller is offline   Reply With Quote