Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 11:57 PM   #1

Intro from Indy

Peggy & I are longtime campers, but this is our first true travel trailer—a Forest River-Salem 171RBXL—just for us.
My Boy Scout tent experience carried forward into our early marriage years, but as we progressed to have 3 daughters and a son, Peggy pushed for something with less effort.
We bought a Coleman Chesapeake pop-up camper which slept 7–and that worked well for us when they were younger. But, our next move was to get 2 connected hotel rooms which we all liked better.
Now that they’ve flown the nest, we felt it was past time for us to get a mobile hotel room, just for us.
So, if you have some tips for us, let us know. We did a LOT of driving trips in vans/SUVs (VW busses, Aerostar, Trans Sport, Caravan, Explorer, etc.) to most national parks and the 4 corners of the country, but there’s always more to see.
Glad to be here!
IndyKenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:42 AM   #2

That's a great unit for the two of you.
At 22 feet it'll be a good fit for most campgrounds including state and national parks. We're happy with our Forest River wildwood. Had to tighten up the kitchen sink water fittings, little stuff like that but have enjoyed personalizing it. Welcome and enjoy.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:55 AM   #3
Rookie

Welcome
Mrprovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:05 AM   #4

We are unfamiliar with RV restrictions at state or national parks, so that is good to know!
Since we are still collecting all the things we think we need in our unit, I will also be on the lookout for parts loosening/needing to be re-tightened.
Good info!
Old 09-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #5

Welcome from New Jersey
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #6

Welcome from Dayton.

Get a good square tip screwdriver. There ain’t no Phillips screws on a trailer!

Go somewhere close for a weekend. Preferably in the rain! Lots to learn. It is all simple.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #7

Welcome from Ohio.
BeckyLangston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #8

Welcome to the site, it's a information highway. Always glad to others from my next of the woods
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Welcome from Dayton.

Get a good square tip screwdriver. There ain’t no Phillips screws on a trailer!

Go somewhere close for a weekend. Preferably in the rain! Lots to learn. It is all simple.
Good tips. I have flathead, Phillips & 5-point “star” screwdrivers. Never heard of a square one!

As to rain, I’ve camped in the rain plenty in Scouts. The RV world will have pros and cons in that category, I’m sure.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #10
RV There Yet?

Welcome from MN! you will really enjoy having a small camper for just the two of you. we have one that same size and its nice to get into smaller state parks. as a side note, I will be down in Indy in October, hopefully going to get some ribs or pulled pork at Squealers! one of the best BBQ places i have been ever.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
Welcome from MN! you will really enjoy having a small camper for just the two of you. we have one that same size and its nice to get into smaller state parks. as a side note, I will be down in Indy in October, hopefully going to get some ribs or pulled pork at Squealers! one of the best BBQ places i have been ever.
I didn’t realize there were size limitations at state park campsites. Glad to know that won’t be a problem!
As to BBQ, we have done are Famous Dave’s, City Barbeque, Smokey Bones and Dick’s Bodacious Barbeque, but have not done Squealers. We’ll check that out some time!
Old 09-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKenn View Post
Good tips. I have flathead, Phillips & 5-point “star” screwdrivers. Never heard of a square one!

As to rain, I’ve camped in the rain plenty in Scouts. The RV world will have pros and cons in that category, I’m sure.
the square ones are referred to as a Robertson, if you are looking for a specific bit.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKenn View Post
I didn’t realize there were size limitations at state park campsites. Glad to know that won’t be a problem!
As to BBQ, we have done are Famous Dave’s, City Barbeque, Smokey Bones and Dick’s Bodacious Barbeque, but have not done Squealers. We’ll check that out some time!
some parks have limited spaces for large units. having a small one really does have its advantages!

each time we are down there for work we go to Squealers, and i leave full, happy, and with a bottle of sauce!