Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #1

Issues with Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

I bought a 2018 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt Tpy Hauler in September of 2019. Not even 30 days later, massive leak from the tankless water heater. Ruined subfloor and main floor in kitchen and main slide out. I cannot fathom how Foreat River let this 5th wheel leave their possession with so many issues. Its scheduled to be worked on this next month, which is supposed to take up to 14 days!!! I can barely live in it at this time due to BOTH black tank vent tubes leaking "fumes" into the camper. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
fcraig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #2

Unfortunately if you are looking to use the Lemon Law your pretty much out of luck. From what I've researched, the fine print we sign when we buy one pretty much signs that provision away. Not to say it's impossible, but you would need a lawyer, $$$$$. From my experience, your best defense is to crawl all over the thing before you sign anything.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

An example. A friend of mine special ordered a unit from a large dealer. When it came in he went over it with a fine tooth comb. There were quite a few issues. He wanted it fixed before he signed the papers, they said they wouldn't work on it unless purchased it. He refused it and went elsewhere.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #4

Issues

Not to make you feel any worse.... if they can fix the problems you listed in 14 days and it is in warranty... hug the neck of that service center and be happy. Heck they take that long to change bulbs sometimes.

All being said. Good luck to you and your family.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

I traded up from a bumper pull toy hauler to this 5th wheel. The bumper pull was outstanding and had only 1 issue. Its still under warranty and I made the claim in October of 2019, about 45 days after purchase. I just CANNOT believe the amount of issues this thing has.
fcraig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #6

My last rig as a 2003 Sprinter, 24 foot fifth wheel. The only issue I recall having was getting the awning off the roof from the wind. Every time i take this Sunseeker 3010 DS out I have to fix something. I still love it but wish it was better quality.