Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #1

It's hard being a virgin!!!!

Well today I decided to park the new trailer. Just so happens it was raining. I thought I knew what I was doing but quickly found out I did not. The dealer installed a Reese dual piston sway bar kit. (I think thats what they called it.) Anyway I could not get the dang thing unhooked. I struggled with it for at least an hour maybe an hour and a half in the rain. Finally I got it but I am not sure I followed the proper sequence for unhooking it. Anyway just to echo the title, "It's hard being a virgin."
jdandrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Jan Goldfield

I have walked in your shoes. And I did the hooking as well with much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth.
Good luck the second time. It does get easier. A little.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #3

I think we all have been there a time or Two, like I always say, You'll learn something new about RV's every time you go out

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

jdandrson, you gotta picture or a link to the Reese system that you have ?? I have the dual cam setup, but have never heard of a Reese piston unit. Maybe some members here can make this less painful in the future if we know exactly what you have, and how you went about unhooking things.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #5

It's hard being a virgin!!!!

mtnguy u r right it is a dual cam. Sorry I don't have the TT jargon down yet. I have gotten many request for pics. As soon as the rain to stops here on the Eastern Shore of MD I will take some and post them.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What part was hard getting unhooked ?? If you use the tongue jack to lift the tongue and back end of the TV up (while the coupler and ball are connected), then it is easier to remove the chains from the snap-up brackets.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #7

Well the tongue would not come off the ball. The hitch seemed to far back. The bars wouldn't let me move the the TV at all like you could with just a standard hook-up. I safely felt around and the lock was released off the ball but the very front a tight. Finally I got the bars off and the TV moved just enough to release the tongue.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You have to remove the bars before unhitching. The bars actually put a downward pressure on the ball, so it is almost impossible for the coupler to disconnect.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #9

Ok, sounds logical. What is the proper sequence then because what I did was wrong. If you look at my RV Virgins take delivery post you'll see that the dealer did not spend a lot of time with us.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My method for unhooking the trailer: Before opening the coupler lever, wind the tongue jack down on a block of wood, then wind the jack down another 20 or so turns, lifting the tongue and the back of the TV. Very carefully using the cheater bar, release the chains from the snap up bracket.....if it seems too hard, then you might need to raise the tongue a little more. After releasing the spring bars, retract the tongue jack (lowering the tongue) about the same number of turns used to put it down. Unhook the safety chains, electrical umbilical, and emergency brake cable. Release the coupler, and again raise the tongue (extending the tongue jack). If the ball seems to still be hung up, I sometimes need to move the TV ever so carefully back or forth to get the coupler and ball to release.

Be really careful when using the cheater bar when releasing the chains on the snap up bracket.......if you haven't lifted the tongue enough, then that puppy can be really hard to handle.

Do it all in reverse to hook up. Hitch up, making sure the coupler lever is down, hook up the safety chains, electrical umbilical, emergency brake cable, then jack the tongue and rear of the TV up in the air 20 or so cranks. If the chains are still hard to snap-up, you might have to raise the tongue a little more. After the chains are connected, retract the tongue jack and you are ready to go camping.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #11

etrailer.com has some very informative videos on WD hitches. This one shows unhooking the trailer as well as tips on how to set things up.
Weight Distribution Trouble Shooting and Repairing Review Video | etrailer.com
Old 10-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
etrailer.com has some very informative videos on WD hitches. This one shows unhooking the trailer as well as tips on how to set things up.
Weight Distribution Trouble Shooting and Repairing Review Video | etrailer.com
Dang, I looked all over etrailer to find a video to post to this thread, and I missed it. Good catch.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
My method for unhooking the trailer: Before opening the coupler lever, wind the tongue jack down on a block of wood, then wind the jack down another 20 or so turns, lifting the tongue and the back of the TV. Very carefully using the cheater bar, release the chains from the snap up bracket.....if it seems too hard, then you might need to raise the tongue a little more. After releasing the spring bars, retract the tongue jack (lowering the tongue) about the same number of turns used to put it down. Unhook the safety chains, electrical umbilical, and emergency brake cable. Release the coupler, and again raise the tongue (extending the tongue jack). If the ball seems to still be hung up, I sometimes need to move the TV ever so carefully back or forth to get the coupler and ball to release.

Be really careful when using the cheater bar when releasing the chains on the snap up bracket.......if you haven't lifted the tongue enough, then that puppy can be really hard to handle.

Do it all in reverse to hook up. Hitch up, making sure the coupler lever is down, hook up the safety chains, electrical umbilical, emergency brake cable, then jack the tongue and rear of the TV up in the air 20 or so cranks. If the chains are still hard to snap-up, you might have to raise the tongue a little more. After the chains are connected, retract the tongue jack and you are ready to go camping.
It might go without saying but from personal experience make sure your trailer wheels are choked before attempting to release the trailer. A trailer pulling on the ball because it's parked on a slope can make releasing the trailer more difficult. As an added percaution I usually leave one or both of the chains connected until the trailers off the hitch and the tires are choked.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #14

I ordered my Reese Dual Cam set up from etrailer.com there is a free video posted in which they will show what mtnguy is telling you. I am a visual guy myself and like to see what to do as well as reading it. I am new to the trailer world too and have learned a great many things the hard way. This forum is a great resource with some really great people and advice. So hang in there!!
campclanlouisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTn_biKer65 View Post
It might go without saying but from personal experience make sure your trailer wheels are choked before attempting to release the trailer. A trailer pulling on the ball because it's parked on a slope can make releasing the trailer more difficult. As an added percaution I usually leave one or both of the chains connected until the trailers off the hitch and the tires are choked.
You are certainly correct on this, and I should have included it. Always keep the trailer chocked any time the coupler is not on the ball.

Any other suggestions or improvements to my long winded instructions are welcome.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #16

jdandrson,
I don't know if you saw it but I sent you a PM the other day.
Regards,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #17

Hello to all of you. Been RV full time now for 5 months in my home town of Ind. I have lived in Tampa for the last 13 years . Old story got laid off last Oct. Wife and I decided to sell the home and buy RV . I got a super deal on a used 2005, 39ft. 4 slide Cedar Creek. Wish I had done this 15 years ago. My GMC Duramax with the Allison tranny pulls the home like a charm. I have encountered a few RV problems along the way but Im learning fast. Now that we have lived in our RV for a few months and no worrys about our home ,property taxes etc. I cant understand why I didnt do this earlier in life. Met a lot of nice people. Will be heading back to Tampa the end of this month. Hopefully my job will be calling us back. Happy camping from RV WILD
RVWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #18

RVWILD,
Hope you continue to enjoy your full timing and good luck with getting your job back.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #19

Thanks for your reply. Quick Question

You have a really nice set up. I just wondered if you tow with it . Boat , Car, Trailer etc. Ive been wondering if I can tow with my 5th wheel . Got any ideas? Ty
RVWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #20

As of now, I do not tow. We normally go with our family (sons, daughters in law and grand children) to campgrounds where we don't normally need a car (ie Hershey, Disney World). If we do need a vehicle, we usually rent one from Enterprise for a day or so. Feel that the extra fuel used, double tolls, wear and tear on towed vehicle, extra insurance, and worry about towed vehicle, that renting when we need it is easier and less costly. JMHO.