Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #1

Just bought a 2000 Windsong

Hello, thank you for accepting me to this forum. We just bought a 2000 Windsong with only 29k miles. Ford V10 engine. The RV has been sitting for 6 or 7 years. Interior is in pretty good condition, doesn't look like the vehicle has been used much at all.
Had a scary drive home, when hitting the first hill the engine started sputtering. Drove for a few miles like that with the engine cutting in and out until there was a gas station. Added 20 gal of fresh gas and the engine was happy again. The dealer told us he had cleaned the tank and replaced the fuel pump, but there must have been some bad fuel left in the tank. I had only added 10 gal at first just to get it home.
There are a bunch of little (I hope) things that need fixing, so you can look forward to my questions soon.
The first couple issues I am approaching are the continued beeping when the engine is running and the speedometer working intermittently.
PeterFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:51 PM   #2

Congratulations on the motorhome purchase and welcome to the forums. Lots of knowledgeable folks here. Sounds like you've got optimism about getting the unit back up on the road. Good low miles, hopefully no major issues. Not sure of your current issues but watch out for this.

"One of the main faults with the early V10 engines (1999 – 2005) was that the spark plugs could blow out of the cylinder head."

One major issue that plagued the earlier V10 engines. I have a V10 in my MH and is has done good. I do have a 5 Star Tune on mine that helps with pulling hills and shifting. I would run some good fuel through it and some fuel injection cleaner as well.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:12 PM   #3

Thank you

Thank you, Roddor, for the welcome! Did a little research before buying this unit. It appeared that most owners prefer the Ford V10 over the Chevy V8 engine. Nobody mentioned the spark plug problem. Is there anything to look out for that might indicate the plugs are ready to go?
PeterFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:14 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you may have a winner there. But definitely get the maintenance items done on it. One thing I would check for sure is the tires. If they're the ones that have been on it while sitting all these years, they probably need changed.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:16 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum from the Pacific Northwest. I am sure you will get good answers here. I am a TT guy and my diesel is in a Ram.

Ram 2500 / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #6

PeterFischer

Yes the V10 pulls or out tows the Chevy engine other than the 8.1. Just do a search for the V10 under those years and there is lots of info. I know some friends that had them regular checked to make sure the sparkplugs were not coming loose. I think that the aluminum heads would or could fatigue and the plug would blow out of the threads, then they would put in a metal insert. I'm not sure if it is an all engines were affected or just a some were affected. Not sure if Ford did anything for it and not near my Ford buddies right now or I would ask them. Not trying to give a big scare but have heard about it several times back in the day of your year.

Tags
windsong