Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Just Purchased 2012 Salem 27DBUD

Hello everyone.

I am not only new to the Salem/Forest River world, but also the hard shelled, bathroom on board, and pretty much everything except for the refrigerator world. We had one in our pop up.

We are taking our first trip this weekend and I'm a little concerned if I remember everything the dealership told me about how to un-winterize it. Hopefully it'll all work out.

From what I remember, i should do this before i leave for camp, hook up to house water, open the two bypass valves by the water heater, and open up the sinks (hot side) till it runs out, then open the rest up till air is out and it runs clear. then fill up the tank at the campsite?

If this isn't even close, please let me know.

Thanks again and happy camping!

Brent
TheComputerMan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Always Learning

That all sounds good. I'd also tell you to check that there is water in the water heater *before* you turn it on! To check (on mine at least), I used the pressure relief valve to open it up and did it periodically until water came out. Only then is it safe to turn on the water heater! (Seriously - I came very, very close to burning out my heating element and would have if I hadn't had a mobile RV tech at the camper for other stuff and happened to ask him.)

Oh, and of course - WELCOME!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That all sounds good. I'd also tell you to check that there is water in the water heater *before* you turn it on! To check (on mine at least), I used the pressure relief valve to open it up and did it periodically until water came out. Only then is it safe to turn on the water heater! (Seriously - I came very, very close to burning out my heating element and would have if I hadn't had a mobile RV tech at the camper for other stuff and happened to ask him.)

Oh, and of course - WELCOME!
Yeah that worries me too. I remember them showing the release valve on the outside when I was there too.

Quick Question for you too, Their are two propane tanks on the front, if i'm not using the furnace, so just for hot water (no showers), and stove/oven, should those last all season?

Thanks again for the quick reply. I'm very excited to head out this weekend.

Brent
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerMan08 View Post
Yeah that worries me too. I remember them showing the release valve on the outside when I was there too.

Quick Question for you too, Their are two propane tanks on the front, if i'm not using the furnace, so just for hot water (no showers), and stove/oven, should those last all season?

Thanks again for the quick reply. I'm very excited to head out this weekend.

Brent
Yes, very likely so. We don't notice how much propane we're using until it becomes furnace weather (and dang it- we're going to be COMFY!).

Your hot water usually will actually work on electric and/or propane. If you're hooked up to shore power, you can use the water heater on electric (especially if your campsite isn't metered - and most aren't unless you're monthly or seasonal).

But! I came from a pop-up to a fifth wheel. I have a heater, shower and all the nice-ities.. I'm using them!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yes, very likely so. We don't notice how much propane we're using until it becomes furnace weather (and dang it- we're going to be COMFY!).

Your hot water usually will actually work on electric and/or propane. If you're hooked up to shore power, you can use the water heater on electric (especially if your campsite isn't metered - and most aren't unless you're monthly or seasonal).

But! I came from a pop-up to a fifth wheel. I have a heater, shower and all the nice-ities.. I'm using them!
Yeah, that's true. I do remember now that you mention that the water heater is electric too i think...and i assume it works like the fridge and it's "auto" selected. Guess i might have to call them. I don't remember as much as i thought I did! haha.

It's just a small shower and seems hard to use, guess i shouldn't say anything about not using it till i actually try it!!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Always Learning

On my camper- there are 2 separate switches in our area where all of the switches congregate. One for electric and one for propane. If I forget to turn it on at all or just want quicker water reheating- I use both at once and it makes water hot faster.

The shower does tend to fill the gray tank. But, I mostly camp at RV parks and have sewer on-site, so I don't worry about it. It's not uncommon for all 4 of us in my family to get showers in a day! In fact, I can count on one-hand the number of bathhouse showers I've gotten since getting this camper (60 nights camping, at that!).
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

that Sounds awesome.

Guess we will have to take a Look. I remember the control panel you're talking about, has the slide out, and how full the tanks are too.

Thank you again!

Brent