Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #1

large famly

Hello everyone. I am new to the group and have been looking around trying to educate myself. I am looking to purchase our first tt. I have found what I think will fit my large family of nine. Yes nine, 4 boys(11,5,2,2) 3 girls(9,7,2) and the wife and myself. We are looking at a 26rs roo. The front bunks will be used by the older kids and the 2 y/o triplets can sleep on the fold outs. Yes I know it will be tight and crazy, but we are use to that every day. Any words of wisdom to a new guy? Looking forward to some good family times.
momedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hope you have a large tow vehicle. Pay attention to your weights. That is TOO much precious cargo to scatter all over the road in an accident. AND I MEAN A LARGE TOW VEHICLE, that CAN TOW!!!!!!

You are adding 1000 pounds in the vehicle before the trailer weight. Got enough car seats?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #3

Well, I only have 5 children, but found that the Roo 233s fit our needs. With the 3 bunk ends, dinette that folds into a bed and a couch/seat that folds into a bed, we have many options. Our girls will be on one bunk and our boy on another and dh and I will be on the front bunk. My oldest son is 9 and his brothers are 3 and 1, so I'm guessing he'll be on the couch bed or in his own tent when he's bigger.

Windrider - he would have to have a large tow vehicle, his family couldn't fit in a Suburban which leave large passenger vans which I've seen them pull some heavy trailers.

Welcome momedic and !
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'd imagine they already have a 12 or 15-seat van. Seems like a long-base 350 or 3500 would work well.

My suggestion is to also bring a tent for the kids. Especially the older ones seem to enjoy the extra space.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
camping

don't forget all the food you will need- that alone will add to the weight
you might need to travel with two vehicles because those kids will grow every year!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #6

Yes, we have a 2008 E350 van with tow package. We have used my brothers TT a few times last year. The kids loved it!!! Yes Windrider, everyone that needs a car seat is in a car seat and everyone is buckled up.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by momedic View Post
Yes, we have a 2008 E350 van with tow package. We have used my brothers TT a few times last year. The kids loved it!!! Yes Windrider, everyone that needs a car seat is in a car seat and everyone is buckled up.
You mentioned that you are looking at a Roo, with the large tow vehicle that you have do not be afraid to consider a larger trailer. We have a Rockwood 2910SS with 4 bunks in the rear. It sleeps 10, we have had 4 adults and 3 children (by no means as many as your family) in the trailer for one very rainy weekend (AKA a lot of time spent inside) and had more than enough room to move around, sleep, and store everything that we needed. On top of sleeping space, you need to make sure you will have enough room for food and everyone's stuff.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #8

Ah, another one! We're also a family of 9: DSSSSDD, 14 12 11 10 8 6 5. Welcome aboard!

We're fulltiming in a Sandpiper 35Loft. 3 in the upstairs, 2 in the down, and 2 in the dining room.

Where did you find your E350? We have a 2001 Express that I wouldn't mind getting rid of soon, but the big-engined E350s are hard to find.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #9

Do yourself a favor. If you have a tow vehicle to pull it, consider the Flagstaff V-lite 30wtbs. Sleeps 10. Yep 10! Wife and I have 5 kids (15, 13, 10, 2, 2) and one on the way. Windjammer the same model. It is big and heavy though for a pull behind.
jdandrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #10

cmhbob

we found it with out much trouble, seems like they were everywhere when we were looking. I guess everyone was down grading to smaller vehicles due to the gas prices. we do not have that option. We found a lot of them were rental vans that were a year or two old an they were replacing them in their fleets. Car dealers near airports often have them. ours was a year old and had mileage in the low 20's.

hoffkm

we are trying to keep the weight low to help with the fuel mileage. I know it will help a little. I agree them more room the better, but we are looking to do a little longer distance traveling also, so weight becomes a factor.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
hoffkm

we are trying to keep the weight low to help with the fuel mileage. I know it will help a little. I agree them more room the better, but we are looking to do a little longer distance traveling also, so weight becomes a factor.
i think you're under the misconception, that the trailer's weight is a big factor in mpg. in fact, it's the frontal surface area that is a bigger factor than its weight.
pulling a 4000lbs. barn door down the road, versus a 5000lbs. barn door, will not show much change in mpg.
and if you have a headwind, you'll see a bigger drop in mileage, no matter whether it weighs 4000lbs. or 5000lbs.
this is one of the big negatives about pulling a full-height trailer versus something like a popup or Airstream.
yes, weight can make a difference in mileage but it's minor compared to the air resistance of the trailer's frontal area.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #12

I see your point. I am basing my thoughts from the fact of just 100 unnecessary lbs. in a car can make your car 2 percent less efficient when it comes to gas mileage, according to fueleconomy.gov. I agree the size of the "barn door" has a greater impact, but I am unsure if there is a huge difference in the frontal surface between the trailers. I am also hoping the van will keep some of the air flow off the trailer. I am just trying to keep it as manageable as I can. I don’t want to be the person who tries to pull to much trailer and ends up in a bad situation. I want to keep my family and others on the road as safe as possible.
Read more: How Does Weight Affect Gas Mileage? | eHow.com How Does Weight Affect Gas Mileage? | eHow.com
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If you have that large a family, and need a trailer large enough for all them, forget fuel mileage. If you have the 5.4 Liter engine, then maybe 9~10 mpg. If you have the larger 6.8 Liter engine, around 7~8 mpg. Since you will be weighing 15,000 pounds or more, 100 pounds will not affect gas mileage. Good luck and happy shopping.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am just trying to keep it as manageable as I can. I don’t want to be the person who tries to pull to much trailer and ends up in a bad situation. I want to keep my family and others on the road as safe as possible.
Bikendan and windrider have it right.

My opinion is that the relationship between MPG and weight is not what you need to concentrate on. With regards to MPG, I believe that it is what it is. Unless you are full-timing it, there are bigger considerations.

I applaud you for making an effort to be safe and to make sure you are not buying too much trailer. Wish more campers did that up front.

So, if you are going to concentrate on anything numbers-wise, focus your efforts on making sure your trailer is not overweight your vehicle's GVWR, GCWR and axles ratings. Those are what really matter.

I doubt if it would be a problem considering the E350 van you said you are driving, but just make sure and run the numbers.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #15

Holy crap!!! Nine kids. I hope we meet in a campground sometime. I grew up in a family of eight kids and can't wait to see how you camp. You are to be commended for even undertaking such a feat. What lucky kids to have parents like you. Good luck and happy camping. Old Guys
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #16

We have a Salem 32BHDS it has double bunks across back plus a fold down couch and a separate single bed all behind one door. Then you could use your dinette and couch in living space for more beds. And then you also have a queen bed for parents in front of trailer. We only have two kids but it seems like we have nine. They have their only room basically and plenty of space as not to be under foot.
Remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #17

We have 7 kids. Not nine. I do have two other kids from an ex - but they are not with us on these outings.... so total nine kids, but only 7 camping. We will be a camping family of 9. Kids in order sddsssd.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #18

7 or 9.......still a good thing. Good on you and keep on camping. Old Guys

Tags
2008 ford e350