Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #1

Looking forward to teaching my kids to camp!

As a child we often camped in our Jayco Popup. I was the youngest of three by 8 years so my family camping was limited. By age nine my parents sold the camper and started rending a cottage one week a summer. As an adult I've tent camped a handful of times. I've taken my children tent camping once. This February we purchased a Rockwood Roo. I am so excited to get it as soon as the snow clears. I will have to learn to drive with it behind me and more importantly backing it up. We plan to camp quite a bit this summer on weekends with Dad, and I intend to camp during the week with the kids on my own whenever possible.
Mcclan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcclan7 View Post
As a child we often camped in our Jayco Popup. I was the youngest of three by 8 years so my family camping was limited. By age nine my parents sold the camper and started rending a cottage one week a summer. As an adult I've tent camped a handful of times. I've taken my children tent camping once. This February we purchased a Rockwood Roo. I am so excited to get it as soon as the snow clears. I will have to learn to drive with it behind me and more importantly backing it up. We plan to camp quite a bit this summer on weekends with Dad, and I intend to camp during the week with the kids on my own whenever possible.
Congratulations on the new Roo and welcome to the forum. Camping with the kids...great family time, and great memories, as you, yourself can attest. Spring will be here ..... sometime!

2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #3

sometimes in this whirlwind of trailer ownership/maintenance/modification/frustration, i lose sight of what this WHOLE thing is really about......my family......thats it.....!!!!

i grew up camping outta the back of a pickup truck, eating beanie weenies n pb crackers.....the smell of the fire, the sounds.......to this day are still some of my fondest memories of being a child and how carefree life was back then...we didnt have much and quite honestly i didnt even know better...none of that mattered.....

anyway, as i grow older i realize more and more that all we really have in life is memories and opportunities to give others memories that may shape their enjoyment of life....

good luck, and i hope every trip you take makes life that much more meaningful and enjoyable to ya!!

Jeremy
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #4

^^^
What they said!

Makes me wanna dig the trailer out, grab my wife and kids and go winter camping tomorrow!
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

Always glad to see someone get an RV. Very exciting to be able to pass this down to the next generation. We never had an RV growing up, just a tent. I got into RVing well before the kids came along, so they were born into it, and don't know anything else. Both started when they were 7 days old. At one time, even ditched the couch in our fifth wheel for a baby bed and changing table. Even before this full timing venture, we camped all year every year, rain or shine, snow or heat etc. My kids live for it, just like my wife and I. We camped so much before full timing, my kids really haven't figured out that this fifth wheel is our home.

Teach them, and they will be a professional at it one day. My 2 year old is with me every step of the way from backing up to hitching up etc. I had bought him a big Nylint 18-wheeler toy last year. The other day he was backing the trailer up and playing, so my wife asked him what he was doing. He says, I'm backing my camper up. So, yes I'm going to get him one of those big truck and fifth wheel toys now, where he can practice on his scale. Priceless.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Always glad to see someone get an RV. Very exciting to be able to pass this down to the next generation. We never had an RV growing up, just a tent. I got into RVing well before the kids came along, so they were born into it, and don't know anything else. Both started when they were 7 days old. At one time, even ditched the couch in our fifth wheel for a baby bed and changing table. Even before this full timing venture, we camped all year every year, rain or shine, snow or heat etc. My kids live for it, just like my wife and I. We camped so much before full timing, my kids really haven't figured out that this fifth wheel is our home.

Teach them, and they will be a professional at it one day. My 2 year old is with me every step of the way from backing up to hitching up etc. I had bought him a big Nylint 18-wheeler toy last year. The other day he was backing the trailer up and playing, so my wife asked him what he was doing. He says, I'm backing my camper up. So, yes I'm going to get him one of those big truck and fifth wheel toys now, where he can practice on his scale. Priceless.
I too am planning on making my new camper my home for me and my sweet doberman Snoopy. we both are tired of the state of illinois and the chicago area. I think it will be the best, find a nice campground that is year round and there are more than i imagined not far from the chicago area...a few near the wisconsin dells. set up there and if you dont like it it is not too big of a deal to hook up and go somewhere else unlike a brick and mortar house where you are stuck with it for many years if you like the neighbors or not.
stormchaser60077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Plain Old Member

That's what started our whole full time thing. Kind of tired of where we were at, and looking for a new brick and mortar home. All was too big, too small, too expensive, too far away etc. Easy fix, make our favorite hobby our every day life. Now, we can have that lake view, mountain view, or whatever view we want, and if we get tired of it, move on to the next place. You can live in places otherwise you'd never be able to afford.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #8

very true, and they come equipped nicer than most houses and furniture. my 282RK has all leather chairs and couch
stormchaser60077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

Congrats on your Rockwood Roo! I too grew up in a camping family and have passed it on to my kids. DD tent camps, she says our 5er 'isn't camping'.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote