Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Get a tire gauge and check the tire pressure before each trip and if going a long distance at least once during the trip.

Safety first and always.

A TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is a better bet - especially if you are going cross country
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #22

gljurezyk. I am looking for some short trips . That would seem like a good place to go. I am just waiting for a break in the weather, but that will be several months, but I will keep in touch. I will also try the fireplace for several hours and see how it goes.. Thanks to everyone for the responses, I haven't spent the first night in the TT yet and I am already feeling more comfortable.. Thanks again.. Chuck in Virginia.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #23

Welcome from Wake Forest/Raleigh NC Charles! And congrats on becoming an RVer. Great folks on this forum. If you are wondering about something, search the forums because I can guarantee it has been discussed here already. And like gljurezyk said, Kerr Lake would be a great first trip. We've camped on Kerr for 40 years.

NC Parks reservations N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Reservations System

Virginia Parks reservations Make a state park reservation
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #24

Well , I haven't been to the first camp ground yet and I am already thinking of replacing my 2001 f250 gas (148,000 miles ) runs great towed my Windjammer ( about 7000 lbs ) just fine on level ground . I just left the local ford dealership looking at f250 diesels, I test drove one and it had remarkable power, but a real HEFTY price tag. When I start my travels in the spring, I would like to have trouble free camping. Although my truck is in excellent condition I still have concerns on pulling a tt for long periods of time, I also know I will get 0 gas mileage. I not trying to start a debate about gas vs diesel . Just looking for some input, I am sure there are gas tow vehicles out there with lots of miles and probably tow their rigs just fine. Dropping 50 grand on a truck is a ton of money, I am sure the diesel will tow better but is it actually necessary ? Quite a debate. Thanks, Chuck in Va
Old 12-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Well , I haven't been to the first camp ground yet and I am already thinking of replacing my 2001 f250 gas (148,000 miles ) runs great towed my Windjammer ( about 7000 lbs ) just fine on level ground . I just left the local ford dealership looking at f250 diesels, I test drove one and it had remarkable power, but a real HEFTY price tag. When I start my travels in the spring, I would like to have trouble free camping. Although my truck is in excellent condition I still have concerns on pulling a tt for long periods of time, I also know I will get 0 gas mileage. I not trying to start a debate about gas vs diesel . Just looking for some input, I am sure there are gas tow vehicles out there with lots of miles and probably tow their rigs just fine. Dropping 50 grand on a truck is a ton of money, I am sure the diesel will tow better but is it actually necessary ? Quite a debate. Thanks, Chuck in Va
My 05 f250 cc V10 4x4 pulls and hauls our Sabre 34tbok, weighing in at 13K+ depending on trip length, very well. My truck has 145K miles and shows no sign of slowing down. In the event of catastrophic failure, I'll hit a dealership or two and start over with a newer truck. I am constantly fighting the urge to blow $40+ K that I don't have on a truck I don't need. Keep realizing the cheapest and most efficient truck for Me is the one in the garage. Others need the"feeling" of being assured their truck won't break down on them as it is new, but we all know new ones break down too.

ymmv

Happy Campin!

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #26

I ordered mine, and I saved money to boot.
Started with a base Xl 250 and then added what I wanted.
Yes it was still spendy but not as much as it would have been if I had bought one off the lot.

Go to the brand you want web site and "build" one with the options YOU want and then check that price to one from the dealer.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #27

Charles- Your 3065 is so close to our 3025 it isn't even funny. I'm a Ram guy, so I can't say for sure about your Ford. However, I started with a Ram 1500 (equivalent
to the 150). Your 250 should be the same as a 2500. I just ordered a 3500. Funny thing. A 5.7 Hemi in a 1500 is the same as a 5.7 Hemi in a 3500. I could of ordered a 2500 but for a few hundred $ more…
What I'm trying to say is this. Personally, I don't care about milage. It's how I took care of it that matters.
You didn't say how much or how far you'll be towing. Even with a 5.4 gasser, for recreation camping, I don't see a problem.
Now, if you're looking to upgrade..Go big!

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Back in the day, I owned a Ford F250, 2001 5.4L and I now own a Ford F250, 2011 6.7L diesel. Both are great trucks but if you want to tow with no concerns around power, the 6.7L is fantastic. I would look for an F350 though. Almost the same money but the F350 is sprung a little better.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #29

Thanks for the feed back, My truck was purchased new and all the maintenance has been preformed by a real mechanic it is in outstanding shape. I would not hesitate to drive it across country without a tt. ( just concerned a bit ) I am still looking, but more at something slightly used and a sticker of 15K less. But then again I may take the advice, its cheaper to keep her. Since I am new to this hobby I really like all the input especially from people who live it, instead of some hot shot car salesman that probably never towed a trailer. The general opinion is, tow the Windjammer for a while and see how it handles. By the way, after several short trips I really want to head west . I would like to take a tour of about 30 days to see some sights. I have a great TT that would make the trip enjoyable. Keep the advice coming.
Chuck in Va
Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #30

One more question then I will let everyone enjoy their Christmas. My windjammer came equipped with a satellite radio docking station. I have Satellite receiver in my truck, same hookup but it would not fit the docking station. Before the purchase I asked the dealer about it and they had no information about it. I am just amazed that I didn't get the proper receiver for their docking station, I don't expect the to pay for the service. Any ideas ?
Thanks again.. Chuck in Va