Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
Maintenance Engineer

My Required Welcome Mat Post

Hello from Verdi, NV. I'm an expert on many things, know absolutely nothing about everything I'm not an expert on.
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

Welcome to the crowd from South Jersey. Lots to learn here!
Old 04-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Hello from Verdi, NV. I'm an expert on many things, know absolutely nothing about everything I'm not an expert on.
You've come to the right place! And will fit right in here.
Welcome from Washington state.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Excellent - We're currently seeking experts on:
1. EMS vs. Surge Protector v. None
2. Proper tire pressure
3. Diesel versus gas
4. Battery disconnect on the negative side vs. positive side
5. Towing in snowy conditions
6. Proper towing weight calculations
7. Anything to do with Covid-19, including camping, sheltering-in-place, travelling, or looking out the window . . .

Hopefully we can get these issues resolved once and for all . . .

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 04-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #5

GoneSouth is being sarcastic.

Welcome from Texas! Non experts are always welcome and you'll get lots of helpful advice here.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
GoneSouth is being sarcastic.

Welcome from Texas! Non experts are always welcome and you'll get lots of helpful advice here.
Not sarcastic - aspirational!!! Someday, somebody is going to come along and finally resolve all these questions - Ampdraw could be that somebody!!!

Okay, maybe a little sarcastic . . . but in a good way . . .
Old 04-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

Welcome aboard. Is this your first RV?

If fridge is the shortened form of refrigerator, where did that "d" come from?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #8

Welcome from SW Ohio .
Old 04-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #9
Maintenance Engineer

Just my first Forest River, not my first RV
Old 04-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
Campaholic

Welcome from Winnipeg Manitoba
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
Maintenance Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
Excellent - We're currently seeking experts on:
1. EMS vs. Surge Protector v. None
2. Proper tire pressure
3. Diesel versus gas
4. Battery disconnect on the negative side vs. positive side
5. Towing in snowy conditions
6. Proper towing weight calculations
7. Anything to do with Covid-19, including camping, sheltering-in-place, travelling, or looking out the window . . .

Hopefully we can get these issues resolved once and for all . . .

Welcome to the Forum!
1) I use none and I’ve been a technician and teacher specializing in electronics and equipment repairs for 30 years. The cheap surge protectors don’t work. The good surge protectors cost more than anything I own I’d want to protect.

2) The manufacturer prints this info on the sidewall. Air down when you need extreme traction, fill it back to the proper specs when the need no longer exists. Don’t air down so low the tire pops off the rim unless you have bead lock rims (which are not DOT approved for highway use).

3) You’re kidding right? Diesel is the only option that even makes a little sense, especially for towing. Besides the obvious reasons there’s the common sense factor, a gasoline engine is good for 200K miles before it costs more to fix than its worth. A diesel engine will give you 800K miles before its even broke in.

4) It really doesn’t matter on a closed DC circuit, I however personally prefer to open my circuit as close as possible to the source on the hot side just like you’d do with an AC circuit.

5) Snowy conditions can be kind of a relative term depending on the persons perception of whats “snowy”. Where I live at high altitude and steep mountain roads we have chain requirements when it gets a little bad, full road closures for anything with more than 2 four wheel drive axles when its really bad. My rule is if I have to get out in the crap to put chains on anything I just use the “P” option on my transmission.

6) Not sure I see room for confusion, the DOT spells it out for you. GVWR is your entire weight, tow vehicle, trailer, and all contents in or on both. Guessing anyone confused by any of it doesn’t have a CDL because they’d fail the test not knowing.

7) Wash your hands, if you’re going to a high risk area with few to no people wear gloves, if a lot of people wear a PAPR hood to protect your nose, mouth, eyes and ears. Any type of face covering incapable of filtering particles down to 0.125 microns in diameter is completely pointless.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
1) I use none and I’ve been a technician and teacher specializing in electronics and equipment repairs for 30 years. The cheap surge protectors don’t work. The good surge protectors cost more than anything I own I’d want to protect.

2) The manufacturer prints this info on the sidewall. Air down when you need extreme traction, fill it back to the proper specs when the need no longer exists. Don’t air down so low the tire pops off the rim unless you have bead lock rims (which are not DOT approved for highway use).

3) You’re kidding right? Diesel is the only option that even makes a little sense, especially for towing. Besides the obvious reasons there’s the common sense factor, a gasoline engine is good for 200K miles before it costs more to fix than its worth. A diesel engine will give you 800K miles before its even broke in.

4) It really doesn’t matter on a closed DC circuit, I however personally prefer to open my circuit as close as possible to the source on the hot side just like you’d do with an AC circuit.

5) Snowy conditions can be kind of a relative term depending on the persons perception of whats “snowy”. Where I live at high altitude and steep mountain roads we have chain requirements when it gets a little bad, full road closures for anything with more than 2 four wheel drive axles when its really bad. My rule is if I have to get out in the crap to put chains on anything I just use the “P” option on my transmission.

6) Not sure I see room for confusion, the DOT spells it out for you. GVWR is your entire weight, tow vehicle, trailer, and all contents in or on both. Guessing anyone confused by any of it doesn’t have a CDL because they’d fail the test not knowing.

7) Wash your hands, if you’re going to a high risk area with few to no people wear gloves, if a lot of people wear a PAPR hood to protect your nose, mouth, eyes and ears. Any type of face covering incapable of filtering particles down to 0.125 microns in diameter is completely pointless.
Hahah - atta boy!! I knew it! You're gonna fit in just fine!

Now, about your recipe for a black tank solution . . .
Old 04-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #14
Maintenance Engineer

I keep about 1/4 of my black tank filled with water then add about a half bottle of Thetford Campa Chem. I think we’ve tried every brand out there, most work terribly, this one at least keeps smells down. I figure the liquid is blue so its about as close as I can get to the stuff the pros who rent portable toilets use. There’s nothing on the bottle which says “organic” or “natural” or environmentally friendly, all key words to look for on chemical bottles that don’t work.

Once a month after a good flushing out I fill it with clean water and 2 gallons of bleach, soak for 20-30 minutes, it makes me feel more sanitary.

Once a year I like to get really crazy with it and fill it with a healthy concentration of pool acid. Strong enough that if you poured it on bare metal the metal would smoke, then flush it real good with fresh water to keep the sensors clean.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #15
Maintenance Engineer

Scars of Shame

You can tell a lot about someone by what they're driving, like how bad of a driver they are or how careless they are that's for sure. I'm extra cautious when passing these people on the road, I get around them quickly even if that means the risk of a ticket. I certainly don't park next to the guy in the parking lot that look like he often spills the beer in his lap while driving. I do park out in the cheap seats in parking lots, not because I'm worried about a scratch, but just because my trucks other than standard size so its out of curtesy to other parking lot patrons.

We have a purchasing agent who is also normally our parts runner when he isn't on furlough, our shop truck they let him drive is beaten and abused to the point of almost being unrecognizable and I've seen trucks in the junkyard in better condition. I asked why they don't buy a new truck one day and was told that was a new truck before he started driving it, that's why they won't buy a new truck. One day I seen "him" driving his own truck into the parking garage, it was a fairly new F150 and it had all the same exact dents, scratches and crush marks that he had put on the shop truck.

I see a dodge 2500 (gas of course) around my RV park all the time, haven't figured out which RV his is yet but he certainly has some scars of shame you'd almost think he's proud of. The entire top of his truck bed is completely crushed in a downward vertical direction. The obvious sign of someone who pulled out from under his 5th wheel after forgetting to put his landing gear down, not inspecting his landing gear, or just not verifying the latches were locked around his king pin.

You always see the coaches and trailers with the side smashed in, most commonly on the drivers side for some reason, the easiest side to see no less, rookies bearing the scars of shame.

With us now we have my wifes Mercedes GL SUV (she's finally decided she wants her own diesel truck now, so we've kind of been looking). It's lived it's entire life on the west coast so it's completely rust free, interior and exterior are show room new even with the kids. Mechanically its as good if not better than the day it was driven off the lot, I certainly stay on top of all my own maintenance and engine repairs, Mercedes are extremely easy to work on once you figure out the thinking behind their designs and have the right tools.

My own truck is a 2004 with over 300K on the odometer, that alone makes it obvious its a diesel, an LLY Duramax to be more precise, the outside isn't as shiny as when it was new, but not a spot of rust, dent or ding on it anywhere. Mechanically from top to bottom it's been repaired and maintained by only my own hands and its in better mechanical condition today than it was the day with zero miles on the odometer. There isn't a nut, bolt, wire or part on it I haven't touched and I know all on it intimately. Everything that's a know issue for that model year was replaced before it was a problem. If you work for the EPA you don't want to pop my hood, some things are best not known. The whole diesel exhaust fluid thing was the tipping point for me and newer trucks. While yes I could delete all that garbage off a new truck I'd have to ask why, I already have a truck with out those more to go wrong, more to deal with items, and my truck is absolutely solid, not to mention everything that's also been done to it to for gains in horse power and heavy torque durability that the factory doesn't equip new trucks with. I'll be buried in this truck, or it'll be buried in me, depending on which one of us die first, me or the truck.

When we bought our latest 5th wheel paying even "below retail" for a brand new one at a dealer was not even a consideration. Sorry, but no way, even if I had money to burn, was I going to pay the kind of price they want for something that when I walk through it I just keep seeing cheap, flimsy and poor craftsman ship attempted to be hidden everywhere. When I buy something if I can't resell it for the same or more someday I don't buy it. I don't care if I have to put some time and money into it to get it there, but I'm not going to pay $100K for a new 5th wheel then 4 short years later see it blue book for only $10K-$20K. I totally get the guy who doesn't want to have to jack with anything, just take it where he wants to go and not have to worry about a thing so he just shells it over for brand new. That's rarely if ever the reality of how it actually works though, that cheap, flimsy, poor craftsmanship exposes its ugly head no matter how much the salesman convinced you to pay for it. You're still stuck dealing with fixing brand new stuff or worse, dealing with shops and warranty claims. A lot of people I talk to in the RV parks seemed to of had their new RV in the shop more than in the park. If they would have just waited 4 years they could have gotten the same exact one for 1/4 of the price and all the weak links on it would have since been repaired or replaced, so is get in a brand new one and just go an actual reality? Not to me, some of my time and money before hand and I'll have like with all my stuff, true get in it and go reliability in its purest form.

I told my wife when she was looking for our latest 5th wheel, and she finds it even has the slightest scar of shame from bad or rookie driving I don't even want to see it. I have a solid skill set in a variety of fine sciences, body work and anything requiring an artistic touch is neither of them. We weren't buying anything with a scar of shame on it that people would assume was from me. I don't care if it was previously owned by a frat house and the inside was soaked in beer spills and heads through walls, I can fix all that quickly, easily and cheaply, but if they wrapped the thing around a pole, or failed at attempting to pull it through the low over hang of a drive thru window then it was off the list no matter the price, other than that my only other requirement was that the roof had been properly maintained and certainly never allowed to leak even a dribble.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #16
Site Team

I'm not sure the purpose of this post or thread? Are you asking for any help?

Old 04-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #17
Maintenance Engineer

Did I not post it under "General Community Discussions"? Or did it somehow end up posted under "General Community Asking For Help" by mistake? If it did then my bad.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #18
Site Team

Just not really seeing a reason for a complete thread on this, as there is no question or any response required for the community. The site team is going to go ahead and move it over to one of your other chat threads.

Thread merged

Old 04-15-2020, 06:55 AM   #19

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #20
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-18 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote