Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

Nashville, TN, with a new Puma Palomino 31BHSS!

We took delivery on Thursday and did a test run at a local campground on Friday night. Towing seems stable, and we lucked out in pulling our TT into a level site that required no finagling to get everything level.

The one problem we did encounter is that the city water hookup backfilled the entire fresh water tank (which was empty when we started). The water pump was off. We woke up to 8-10 gallons of water across our living room and bedroom floor. Even more water was outside and had formed a river down the campgrounds driveway, by way of the potable water connection purging water through the vent hole.

Not sure why having city water hooked up (it was hooked up to the drivers side "City Water Connection", not the fresh water connection side on the passenger) but I read that a bad valve in the water pump can allow water to fill the system and then backfill into the potable. We did our best to remove all standing water.

Anyways, besides getting the factory defect fixed, I'm most worried about now owning a completely waterlogged TT that is just 2 days from the dealer. Without pulling up the floor, I don't see how the manufacturers warranty can guarantee there isn't water damage to the subfloor.

Anyways, we're happy to be here, even if our first night didn't go smoothly!
sierramister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramister View Post
We took delivery on Thursday and did a test run at a local campground on Friday night. Towing seems stable, and we lucked out in pulling our TT into a level site that required no finagling to get everything level.

The one problem we did encounter is that the city water hookup backfilled the entire fresh water tank (which was empty when we started). The water pump was off. We woke up to 8-10 gallons of water across our living room and bedroom floor. Even more water was outside and had formed a river down the campgrounds driveway, by way of the potable water connection purging water through the vent hole.

Not sure why having city water hooked up (it was hooked up to the drivers side "City Water Connection", not the fresh water connection side on the passenger) but I read that a bad valve in the water pump can allow water to fill the system and then backfill into the potable. We did our best to remove all standing water.

Anyways, besides getting the factory defect fixed, I'm most worried about now owning a completely waterlogged TT that is just 2 days from the dealer. Without pulling up the floor, I don't see how the manufacturers warranty can guarantee there isn't water damage to the subfloor.

Anyways, we're happy to be here, even if our first night didn't go smoothly!

Congrats on your new rig.

You are correct about the check valve.

Your on-board water pump has a check valve built into it to keep the city water from back flowing into the fresh tank. (or sometimes out the antifreeze.winterizing port if that valve is turned) The two systems (fresh and city) are actually one system hooked together through the internal plumbing.

Debris (plastic shavings/sawdust) can get in the valve and hold it slightly open. The pressure of the city water pushes water past the partially opened check valve and fills the tank. It is unfortunate it ran inside your camper but fortunate that it didn't expand the tank to the point of bursting the tank or breaking its mounting braces from expansion. We've seen reports of that happening.

Usually if you turn off the city water, relieve the pressure at a faucet, turn on the on-board pump and allow some water to flow from the pump it might clear the debris. Turn off the pump, open a faucet and relieve the pressure and turn the city water back on.

If it doesn't clear with the procedure above, you are going to need the pump replaced/repaired or add a separate check valve.

In the interim, if you can't get it to stop back filling, open the drain valve for the fresh tank and let the water run out there. Only turn on the city water at the pedestal when you need water for now or simply disconnect the city water and use what is in the tank.

Best of luck getting you water problems resolved.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Congrats on your new rig.

You are correct about the check valve.

Your on-board water pump has a check valve built into it to keep the city water from back flowing into the fresh tank. (or sometimes out the antifreeze.winterizing port if that valve is turned) The two systems (fresh and city) are actually one system hooked together through the internal plumbing.

Debris (plastic shavings/sawdust) can get in the valve and hold it slightly open. The pressure of the city water pushes water past the partially opened check valve and fills the tank. It is unfortunate it ran inside your camper but fortunate that it didn't expand the tank to the point of bursting the tank or breaking its mounting braces from expansion. We've seen reports of that happening.

Usually if you turn off the city water, relieve the pressure at a faucet, turn on the on-board pump and allow some water to flow from the pump it might clear the debris. Turn off the pump, open a faucet and relieve the pressure and turn the city water back on.

If it doesn't clear with the procedure above, you are going to need the pump replaced/repaired or add a separate check valve.

In the interim, if you can't get it to stop back filling, open the drain valve for the fresh tank and let the water run out there. Only turn on the city water at the pedestal when you need water for now or simply disconnect the city water and use what is in the tank.

Best of luck getting you water problems resolved.
A wealth of experience, knowledge here.
This is what makes being on Forest River Forums a great place to understand and learn, from some of the greatest members. High five to you 5picker.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

Congratulations on your new Puma.
Yes and you've come to the greatest forum to learn from. Members here are always here to help you get the most out of camping. Stay safe have fun and Happy RVing from Farmer NC
Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #5

Welcome from SW Ohio ,good luck w/ the Puma !
Old 02-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #6

Sounds like a nightmare on a new unit. I always fill my tank and never run off city water unless i'm on a full hook up site with sewer.

I'd rather fill the tank and run of the water pump and know how much water is in my unit and how much has gone down the tanks to avoid pre mature filling of tanks before stay is over.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Sounds like a nightmare on a new unit. I always fill my tank and never run off city water unless i'm on a full hook up site with sewer.

I'd rather fill the tank and run of the water pump and know how much water is in my unit and how much has gone down the tanks to avoid pre mature filling of tanks before stay is over.
This is what I was thinking might make more sense for the next few runs. I can drain all the water out when I'm done if we haven't used it all.

Again, I'm mostly concerned about the water that we took on in the living room area. How 'waterproof' is the flooring? Is the subfloor compromised? We basically we had water flowing across the floor for 5-6 hours while we slept.
sierramister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #8

We love camping in Nashville TN and we learned the campgrounds there have very high water pressure so we always use a water pressure regulator when camping there.
Best hopes you do not have lasting floor damages and welcome to the forums
From Nebraska
retired18whler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino, puma