Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 06:09 AM   #1

New 2021 Ibex 20BHS

Good morning all,

I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. My name is Garrett and my wife and I just picked up our 2021 IBEX 20BHS yesterday at General RV in Wixom MI. Couldn't have been happier with the experience at the dealership. Originally we didn't want to get a new camper and were looking at used stuff to save some money but the 20BHS had a few things that we really liked.

1. Dual oversized bunks - We have two kids 9 and 6 so this is perfect. Everything with bunks was too big for what we wanted and I didn't want to have to modify the floor plan of a used smaller camper
2. Size - Our TV is a 2013 BMW X5 diesel and while it certainly has the power to tow more than its weight capacity we wanted to keep the weight down so we could continue to use it as a tow vehicle and the IBEX is lightweight. We had little problem towing it home (aside from some vehicle specific issues I won't get into).
3. No adapting to fit our family - We are a family of four and didn't want to have to break anything down or turn something into a bed or whatever in order for us to camp. I wanted something where everything had a home and purpose and nothing had to be changed over at night for sleeping or during the day for dining or whatever.
4. Pre installed solar - When looking at used stuff I kept thinking how I would integrate solar for boon docking. This comes from the factory with 100w Go Power solar preinstalled with a 1000w inverter.

I had a couple upgrades done before it left the dealer which were (1) an additional Fantastic fan over the queen bed to go with the one in the bathroom. I thought this would be a nice addition with one on pull and one on push. With cooler nights in Michigan we shouldn't have to use our AC much especially in the shoulder seasons. The second was ordering two 100ah lithium ion batteries instead of the traditional deep cycle that would come with it. Those haven't came in yet but they should be here this week. As most of you know lithium batteries aren't cheap so wrapping them into the payment was only a few more bucks a month.

This summer will 100% be at campgrounds with full hook ups. This is our first camper and we just need to work out the kinks and get to know everything. Eventual upgrades for future boon docking will be additional panels on the rhino rack w/tilt features, larger inverter and 2 additional batteries. Also a Generac 3000 generator w/propane conversion. I have had a home Generac for 12 years and it works great so I have some brand loyalty over a Honda.

My eventual goal will be to set this thing up to do a week of boon docking without having to worry about much.

Anyway, it's nice to meet ya'll and I hope we have many fun years of camping ahead of us.
MillerMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your 2021 IBEX 20BHS. We added a fan over the bed too and the push/pull air circulation works well when you really don't need the AC.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:11 PM   #3

New 2021 Ibex 20BHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerMav View Post
Good morning all,

I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. My name is Garrett and my wife and I just picked up our 2021 IBEX 20BHS yesterday at General RV in Wixom MI. Couldn't have been happier with the experience at the dealership. Originally we didn't want to get a new camper and were looking at used stuff to save some money but the 20BHS had a few things that we really liked.

1. Dual oversized bunks - We have two kids 9 and 6 so this is perfect. Everything with bunks was too big for what we wanted and I didn't want to have to modify the floor plan of a used smaller camper
2. Size - Our TV is a 2013 BMW X5 diesel and while it certainly has the power to tow more than its weight capacity we wanted to keep the weight down so we could continue to use it as a tow vehicle and the IBEX is lightweight. We had little problem towing it home (aside from some vehicle specific issues I won't get into).
3. No adapting to fit our family - We are a family of four and didn't want to have to break anything down or turn something into a bed or whatever in order for us to camp. I wanted something where everything had a home and purpose and nothing had to be changed over at night for sleeping or during the day for dining or whatever.
4. Pre installed solar - When looking at used stuff I kept thinking how I would integrate solar for boon docking. This comes from the factory with 100w Go Power solar preinstalled with a 1000w inverter.

I had a couple upgrades done before it left the dealer which were (1) an additional Fantastic fan over the queen bed to go with the one in the bathroom. I thought this would be a nice addition with one on pull and one on push. With cooler nights in Michigan we shouldn't have to use our AC much especially in the shoulder seasons. The second was ordering two 100ah lithium ion batteries instead of the traditional deep cycle that would come with it. Those haven't came in yet but they should be here this week. As most of you know lithium batteries aren't cheap so wrapping them into the payment was only a few more bucks a month.

This summer will 100% be at campgrounds with full hook ups. This is our first camper and we just need to work out the kinks and get to know everything. Eventual upgrades for future boon docking will be additional panels on the rhino rack w/tilt features, larger inverter and 2 additional batteries. Also a Generac 3000 generator w/propane conversion. I have had a home Generac for 12 years and it works great so I have some brand loyalty over a Honda.

My eventual goal will be to set this thing up to do a week of boon docking without having to worry about much.

Anyway, it's nice to meet ya'll and I hope we have many fun years of camping ahead of us.

Hope all is well with your Ibex now that it’s been a year?

We purchased our 2021 Ibex 19 QBS this past January and love it. No major issues so far. Some minor things that I elaborate on in another “Ibex” thread/post on this forum.

Happy camping
AM
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:31 PM   #4

All good reasons to purchase that rv. A well thought out purchase usually means that you won't be trading it in within a year because you bought on impulse.

Congratulations on your purchase, welcome to the forum and happy camping.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #6
Campaholic

Welcome to the forum from Winnipeg Manitoba
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #7

We just put a deposit on a 2021 20bhs. It was between that and a surveyor legend.

I’m a little nervous about towing it. It’s my first trailer, so I’m just a bit nervous all around I guess. We have a 2020 Ford Expedition with the tow package. But if someone can tow the ibex with the bmw, I would think the expedition will be just fine.
NM-Physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
Please make sure that your tongue weight (13% of trailer GVW) is within the Expedition's capabilities. SUVs are notorious for lacking hitch(tongue) weight handling. You do have a WDH - right?
Old 04-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #9

Yes. I’m getting the WDH with the trailer. Tongue weight on the expedition is 930lbs. The 20bhs has a tongue weight of 510lbs.
NM-Physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-Physics View Post
Yes. I’m getting the WDH with the trailer. Tongue weight on the expedition is 930lbs. The 20bhs has a tongue weight of 510lbs.
That 510 number is fictional. Loaded for camping, it could easily be over 700lbs. I have a similar sized trailer and its loaded tongue weight is around 750lbs. And that's only for two people.
#1 newbie mistake is using fictional dry weights numbers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:33 PM   #11
FNG RV Dude

Awesome! Same here. New in March. Just did maiden voyage. Such a great trailer for all around comfort and versatility! Minor quality build issues that will need attention. Caulking missed. Big Gap between bath sink & shower that will collect water. Very happy. Towed with 2016 F150 V8 super crew. 10 mpg.
GoldenIBEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-Physics View Post
Sorry if I ma saying stuff you know, but you do realize that the weight of the WDH + any Kids _ an gear will have to come out of that 930 lbs. Look at the payload sticker somewhere around the driver's door.

It will say something to the effect of: the total of occupants and cargo may not exceed xxxx bs. That is you payload number. From the payload subtract 13% of you TT's GVW. The result will be very close to the actual lbs of people, dogs, and gear you can load in the Expedition.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #13

Congrats on your Ibex.. We purchased our 19QBS in October 2020 and have had it out a few times already - getting ready to go to the Sequoias this month. I like the idea of using the Rhino rack for tilt solar panels.. We have 2 AGM batteries and no real issues with power - of course not using Microwave or AC. The bigger issue to me is the 30gal grey .. last time out I had to dump grey after 4 days, but we did have water hook up so maybe we were a little over zealous on usage. I'm not sure I would modify this trailer, but in the future may look at converting black tank to another grey and replacing toilet with composting or other solution. Anyway .. have fun.
eisland99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #14

welcome from Oklahoma!!
Tinytim35 is offline   Reply With Quote