Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
Yes, we do plan on fitting them all in the summer! 2 oldest boys in the back bed, 2 oldest girls in the side bed. 1 boy on the dinette bed, 1 boy old on the sofa bed, 2 year old with us in the front bed. This will change but she is my horrible sleeper. And we plan to bring a pack-n-play for the 1 year old. It will be tight, but 8 of us fit in a tent last year with TWO pack-n-plays! (That did not include my husband or my oldest son, they did not go on that trip.)

How many do you plan to fit in the camper? Doesn't everyone fit 10 people?

The camper storage is about 7 miles away. We pass it regularly on our way to church so it isn't too far away. We have considered moving over the years because our HOA can be restrictive but we love where we live. So storage it is!

Your numbers sound about right. I know we do better on our trips to Florida straight down I-75. Yes, this one is a gas guzzler. But it has been good to us. My husband is always writing numbers down and calculating for the car he drives to work. He tells me all the time I mess up his calculations because I fill the van and don't write down the numbers!

I thought visibility was ok with the van mirrors. But I may not know better and the mirrors could help. I am going to hold off buying them until you use them and you can tell me if they are worth it! If you don't mind.

How long did it take you to get home from San Diego? One of these days, we would love to go west..see the Grand Canyon and go to southern California. We thought about doing it this summer but decided it was just too much driving for the 1 and 2 year old. Some day!!
Wow! 10 in a 233s. You guys are full of adventure! Good for you. You may be the only people out there camping with so many in that unit. We will be camping typically with 4-6 people. D-21. S-16. D-10. D-2. My oldest will make a trip or two with us and my son will be along most of the time. I also have a friend who will make a few trips with us.

The mileage with the van is good to know. I really didnt realize it would be so thirsty. I'm wondering how the tow will affect mileage. Have you had any issues with the van?

We can definitely let you know about the mirrors. Its not here yet so I dont know the real picture. It must need mirrors though...its wider than the van for sure. What did you see when you looked in the mirrors? If you say white....it probably wasnt snow but rather the front of the camper! ;-)

Camping out west is where its at in my world. Nothing better than getting a mile and a half above sea level and setting up camp. As for California..

Day 1. Thursday afternoon we flew to SD and stayed with relatives.
Day 2. We picked it up on a Friday morning and took a slow drive up the coast before making a break for home. Arrived in Las Vegas around midnight.
Day 3. We drove to Glenwood Springs CO and got in around dinner time.
Day 4. Slow drive across the rockies. Lots of stops until Denver. Stopped in Omaha around 11pm for the night.
Day 5. Arrived home in Mpls area around noon.

Two long days on the road and two short days. We didnt have any kids with us which made it a breeze. Family stepped up and helped out. I was originally going to do this alone but was very happy we could swing the co-pilot too. A nice break. My first trip thru the west in the winter. I've been thru this territory before but only in the summer. I will never forget it.

The driving is hard on the kids. If you've driven to FL you know all about that. A lot of miles there. We left our 2 yr old with family when we went west last year. It just would have been too hard on everyone. She will be coming along this year though. Amazing how things change in a few months. When we do long drives like the trips out west we hit the road and I drive all night. Typically 14 hours straight. Everyone falls asleep in Minnesota and wakes up staring at mountains in Montana! It's almost magical...but I know better!

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
Extra counter space sounds nice! How many shelves did you add? I am assuming you put the shelves in the closet in the back next to the bathroom?
I am picking up parts in a couple of days to convert the wardrobe in the rear to a pantry. I was looking around at campers online and saw a Surveyor SV-235 that had the nicest shelving. I checked with a local dealer and found out I could order the parts and that will be my first project next weekend after delivery! I will post pictures here in a thread once I finish.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post
Wow! 10 in a 233s. You guys are full of adventure! Good for you. You may be the only people out there camping with so many in that unit. We will be camping typically with 4-6 people. D-21. S-16. D-10. D-2. My oldest will make a trip or two with us and my son will be along most of the time. I also have a friend who will make a few trips with us.

The mileage with the van is good to know. I really didnt realize it would be so thirsty. I'm wondering how the tow will affect mileage. Have you had any issues with the van?

We can definitely let you know about the mirrors. Its not here yet so I dont know the real picture. It must need mirrors though...its wider than the van for sure. What did you see when you looked in the mirrors? If you say white....it probably wasnt snow but rather the front of the camper! ;-)

Camping out west is where its at in my world. Nothing better than getting a mile and a half above sea level and setting up camp. As for California..

Day 1. Thursday afternoon we flew to SD and stayed with relatives.
Day 2. We picked it up on a Friday morning and took a slow drive up the coast before making a break for home. Arrived in Las Vegas around midnight.
Day 3. We drove to Glenwood Springs CO and got in around dinner time.
Day 4. Slow drive across the rockies. Lots of stops until Denver. Stopped in Omaha around 11pm for the night.
Day 5. Arrived home in Mpls area around noon.

Two long days on the road and two short days. We didnt have any kids with us which made it a breeze. Family stepped up and helped out. I was originally going to do this alone but was very happy we could swing the co-pilot too. A nice break. My first trip thru the west in the winter. I've been thru this territory before but only in the summer. I will never forget it.

The driving is hard on the kids. If you've driven to FL you know all about that. A lot of miles there. We left our 2 yr old with family when we went west last year. It just would have been too hard on everyone. She will be coming along this year though. Amazing how things change in a few months. When we do long drives like the trips out west we hit the road and I drive all night. Typically 14 hours straight. Everyone falls asleep in Minnesota and wakes up staring at mountains in Montana! It's almost magical...but I know better!
Traveling without kids?? What? You can do that? We will add that to our list of someday....
Sounds like an awesome drive even though it sounds long. Our drives to Florida are long but we do it in two days and then stay there for 10-12 days.

I will be looking for your pics of the shelves and your take on the mirrors!
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #44

We joined the forum about two hours ago and it looks like a great place to learn a ton! We bought a Rockwood camper last fall and have yet to use it as we are in upstate NY. We are planning our first trip in April and can't wait to go. We bought a tiny camper last fall to see if we liked camping...loved it and came home and traded for one with a bit more space. We are planning to go to Lake Keowee in SC. We are looking forward to "meeting" you all! We slept in it in our driveway the first might we brought it home.....thankfully it's got a great heater!!
alpine skiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine skiing View Post
We joined the forum about two hours ago and it looks like a great place to learn a ton! We bought a Rockwood camper last fall and have yet to use it as we are in upstate NY. We are planning our first trip in April and can't wait to go. We bought a tiny camper last fall to see if we liked camping...loved it and came home and traded for one with a bit more space. We are planning to go to Lake Keowee in SC. We are looking forward to "meeting" you all! We slept in it in our driveway the first might we brought it home.....thankfully it's got a great heater!!
Congratulations on the new camper!! What kind is it?
Our kids slept in ours in the driveway too. I am sure we will have at least 1 more driveway camp out!!
Not sure if you realized that you did not start a new thread. I don't want your post to not be seen by others because it gets lost in this one!
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote