Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #1

Smile New [almost] 8288WS Owners

Just dropping into say "hi" before my wife and I go off to sign our lives away on a 2012 Rockwood 8288WS. This looks like one of the roomiest 5'ers we have seen and it should be fine to pull with our 2011 F150 ecoboost. Have really appreciated the information we have found on this forum and we look forward to being active members. Take care...
Calgaryflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #2

We have the 2011 Flagstaff equivalent. (8528ckws) Love the floor plan. I pull with a Dodge 1/2 ton. Could use more truck, but this truck pulls and stops fine. The weight watchers on this forum will be all over you though.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
We have the 2011 Flagstaff equivalent. (8528ckws) Love the floor plan. I pull with a Dodge 1/2 ton. Could use more truck, but this truck pulls and stops fine. The weight watchers on this forum will be all over you though.

How much weight are you pulling with your truck and do you still have the Wranglers on it or something else?
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
How much weight are you pulling with your truck and do you still have the Wranglers on it or something else?

The fiver weighs 7900lbs dry. Everything on the dodge is stock,including original tires ( wranglers). I did add Timbrens to level the truck.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 10-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #5

I thought I was overweight but if you're hauling that alright I have room for more options to add on.Thanks for the info.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Old 10-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
I thought I was overweight but if you're hauling that alright I have room for more options to add on.Thanks for the info.

I never said I was not over weight.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 10-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

Oh your Dodge will handle it.Mine could use a little more spring,and I am going to get some Michelins before the snow comes as the tread on the Wranglers is getting down.As far as the drive train and frame stiffness everything seems to be handling the weight very well.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Old 10-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Oh your Dodge will handle it.Mine could use a little more spring,and I am going to get some Michelins before the snow comes as the tread on the Wranglers is getting down.As far as the drive train and frame stiffness everything seems to be handling the weight very well.

I haven't experienced any issues. I drove from Bridgewater, NS to Concord, NH in August averaging 8-10 mpg. Over 3500 kms total. The truck handled the hills fine and could stop no problems. Big 4 wheel disc brakes. I was loaded pretty good too. Extra passengers to boot. I could use more truck but then you could always say that.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 10-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
azwade

Calgaryflames, take a close look at your truck GCWR and axle weight ratings. You will probably be significantly over on both with this 5er. Can you tow it, probably. But should you? Up to you. Lots of negatives. I have an 07 Tundra with the big engine, tow package, air bags, bilstein shocks, and 10 ply michelins pulling a 2011 Rockwood 8280WS. I am under the gross towing weight and both axle weight ratings (cat scale) but close on the GCWR. I have to watch what I put in the TV and the front of the 5er to stay legal. My 8280WS averages about 1250 lbs hitch weight ready for camping so do the math yourself on this rig. Do not exceed your tv GCWR or axle ratings. Nothing good can come out of that. Hope this helps.
azwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #10

Weights

Guys, my F150 Ecoboost is loaded for max towing. The 8288 has a dry base dry weight of 7220 lbs., the Ecoboost is rated for 11,300 lbs. The pin weight of the 8288 is 1595 and my truck is rated at 1890 lbs. All the tanks [H20, black water, etc.] are behind the 5'vers axles so I think I have quite a bit of room to manage my weights. My last 5'er [an Arctic Fox] weighed 6610 with a pin weight of 1300 [or so] lbs. and this truck didn't even know it was there. I'm not too worried about being above weight. Thanks for the concern. Keep towin!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #11

I had to chuckle at azwade comparing his Tundra to Calgary's EcoBEAST.
That Ford should not be classified as a "half-ton", as it can pull as much as many 3/4 tons. One of my buddies has one and he says it is an awesome truck.
Just a note Calgary, have you seen the new coloured Rockwoods? I think it is called the 'Diamond Package'. Pretty sharp.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
azwade

crocas, I am sorry if you thought I was trying to "compare" my Tundra with the Ford "EcoBeast". I was not. I wanted everyone to do the math and I just used my situation as an example. With a cargo capacity of 1890 lbs and a pin weight (empty or loaded?) of 1595 lbs, what is left is 295 lbs. Some 5er hitches weigh that much by themselves without people, gas, cargo, etc. Most 1/2 tons have sufficient "towing" capacity but limited GCWR and axle weight ratings that come into play when you decide to go from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel trailer. This is just information based on years of experience. Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #13

az, you said "take a close look at your truck GCWR and axle weight ratings. You will probably be significantly over on both with this 5er".
Well, Calgary won't be over "significantly", and if he is careful, maybe not at all.
As for that 295 pound fifth wheel hitch you mention, I think you are stretching the truth just a tad.
Didn't mean to take a shot at your Tundra, but with the US economy in the state it is in, people should be buying vehicles produced by American companies, and not sending even more money overseas. JMO
Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
azwade

Crocus you have some good points. That's one of the best things about this forum is the exchange of ideas and information. I guess what I have been trying to say (and not doing a very good job of it) is that knowledge is power. Knowing your tow vehicle limitations is critical. Getting past the thrill of the purchase and being realistic is critical. As a former over-the-road truck driver I have seen many accidents, many states with ridiculous enforcement rules and insurance companies that are just looking for ways to weasel out of paying. Add the fact that you may have precious cargo (kids) onboard, it really pays to be conservative. Last word from me on this subject. Good luck Calgary on your purchase decision.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryflames View Post
Just dropping into say "hi" before my wife and I go off to sign our lives away on a 2012 Rockwood 8288WS. This looks like one of the roomiest 5'ers we have seen and it should be fine to pull with our 2011 F150 ecoboost. Have really appreciated the information we have found on this forum and we look forward to being active members. Take care...
Hi Calgaryflames, hope you check back into this forum. We would LOVE to know how you've made out with your Ecoboost/Rockwood combination. We too have the 2011 Ecoboost and have been considering the Rockwood 8288 for almost a yr. We haven't pulled the trigger to "sign our lives away" because we're concerned about weight. Like you we have a 5K pound 5th now and the truck doesn't know it's there but going up 2500# is just that little bit that might make her work a little harder. How are you making out? We're in BC so a little more mountainous terrain than AB but your experience and insight would be of help to us if you could offer it!
captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #16

Smile Don't know yet captainmorgan!

Alas Captain, I can't help you yet! Even though we signed on the dotted line - we don't pick up the new unit until the 28th. I'm not at all concerned about the loaded weight of the unit, but we will have to be smart re. our total pin weight [1890#'s]. With just the two of us we feel that we can manage this o.k. Bought the unit for some long-term holidaying [retiring soon] so we wanted something we might be comfortable in for a month or so at a time. Will post as soon as we take a trip [might be in the Spring - its getting mighty cool here nowadays]. Regards...
Old 10-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #17

8285ws

we just purchased the 8285ws Rockwood ultra lite last week, we find the same thing, plenty of room and outstanding workmanship! The only problem we are having is in the genesis, we cannot get the USB port nor the SD card slot to work. These are nice features to have when you are travelling so you can put in your SD card from your camera and see the pictures on the TV set. Also we cannot hook up our blue ray to it. The dealer says they will not look at it for a few weeks which concerns us as it will be very cold by then and a little hard to turn on the tv set! Other than that, we are very pleased with the unit, however havent tried out all the other "bells and whistles" yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryflames View Post
impalagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #18

Yuk!

we had a chance to buy the Diamond look package and declined, wasnt impressed with the colors at all!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I had to chuckle at azwade comparing his Tundra to Calgary's EcoBEAST.
That Ford should not be classified as a "half-ton", as it can pull as much as many 3/4 tons. One of my buddies has one and he says it is an awesome truck.
Just a note Calgary, have you seen the new coloured Rockwoods? I think it is called the 'Diamond Package'. Pretty sharp.
impalagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #19

I'm sorry but what is the Diamond look package? Is it new for 2012? I haven't heard about it. Thanks...
Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #20

Calgary, the diamond package includes a coloured exterior, kindof a medium gray. I think there are a few other small differences.
Personally, I like the white exterior, but you might like the gray. But there is an additional cost as well, and I wonder how many will pay?
There are some pictures somewhere on the forums from a month or so ago. If you do a search for "diamond package" you might find it. I think it was on a Rockwood camper.