Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Cool New and advice!!

New to this forum, but not new to Forest River. We HAD a 2006 Rockwood Freedom 1950, which we just sold. BUT now the fun has begun. We'd really like a Rockwood Mini Lite 2306, but also considering a Wildwood X-lite bh. We need some help! Do we go tin and stick or aluminum and fiberglass? Weight restrictions keep us looking at super light weight campers (pulling with a Ford Explorer Sport Trac) AND my desire to not have to make up beds, sends us to the BH. The smaller size of the Rockwood is appealing, but a little concerned about quality...been reading some posts that aren't too favorable. Also, purchasing the Rockwood means we deal with A large wholesaler in Ohio and that is a little worrisome, too...they don't have the greatest reviews, either. If you have good or bad experiences, please share!
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

You might look here Wana RV Center . They are locater near the factory not far from my home town. Their prices are very close to RVwholsale in OH as well.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip. I'll look at them tomorrow. Are you pleased with your Mini lite?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Site Team

to the Forest River Forums! Good luck with your search for the right trailer for your family.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

Thank you Terier. There are so many variables, it's hard to think straight. A local guy has a used Wildwood 26bhxl for sale...the exact one we're looking at...and the weight on the 2010 is perfect for our tv. Hubby is not handy, though and buying used can mean more repairs, but we'd save so much on the price. Hubby is not convinced. We have a local Wildwood dealer, but no local Rockwood dealers sell the mini lite...and really the weight of the 2306 is SUPER attractive and will cause less stress on our current tv. Plus we'd keep all the best features of the 26' camper but in a 23' camper with the Murphy bed option in the Rockwood. Already made our pros and cons list...still undecided. But, this is a good problem to have!!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Kelley,

I'm sure you will make the right choice once you decide which option(s) has top priorty. You mentioned something about not having to make the beds - is this the same in both units?

Terie

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll look at them tomorrow. Are you pleased with your Mini lite?
So far I like it a lot, 20 days camping with it this summer. My wife (DW) picked it out for the walk around bed while picked it for the slide & openness in the middle. It seems to be well made with only 1 major issue, a kitchen drawer that wouldn't stay closed. DW used a bungee cord on it for a while until a service tech adjusted it with ease (2 other service techs at the same dealer didn't have clue how to fix it).
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Kelley,

You mentioned something about not having to make the beds - is this the same in both units?

Terie
Yes, both units have bunk beds. The Wildwood has bunks for the kids and a dedicated bedroom space for us, but the Rockwood has a Murphy bed (which means it lifts up and is against the wall during the day. There's a jack-knife sofa beneath that you put up during the day for extra seating. It's really a super cool design that lets a family get by with less space...but there is less storage because the storage area that is under a dedicated bed doesn't exist in this camper.

Thanks for your support. We'll get it figured out eventually. We still have time.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
You might look here Wana RV Center . They are locater near the factory not far from my home town. Their prices are very close to RVwholsale in OH as well.
I checked them out last night. NICE. Sent me a quote pretty quickly and it is higher than the other guys, but if they are more reputable, it's worth it. Of course, I'd much rather deal with someone local (from VA) but my sister lives in Kalamazoo, so that'd make a nice trip! :-) Did you buy from them? Any problems? Would they not fix the drawer issue?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #10

I bought from a local dealer here in MD who matched their price. We had already made our trip to IN for the year but were seriously considering another just to pickup the new TT. The kitchen drawer was an easy fix once we got a service tech that knew what he was doing. The other 2 tried to help but admitted that they did not know how to adjust it.

You will like Shipshewana. There is a really big auction that you can buy cows to whatever you want. Plan on checking out the area while you are there, plus you will have a chance to road test your TT.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #11

We are in the same boat with TV. We have a Nissan Frontier and considering a Surveyor weighing 4200lbs. The Frontier has a 6300lb capacity
JBurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #12

One thing to check on units with Murphy & sofa combo is actual tongue weight. The dry hitch weight for a 2304 is 550 lbs and loaded will 100 to 200 higher with Wdh head/propane/battery etc. I would guess 2305 to be the same. This reduces payload in TT All the best in your search
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #13

correction:
I would guess 2306 to be the same. This reduces payload in TV All the best in your search
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschoono289 View Post
One thing to check on units with Murphy & sofa combo is actual tongue weight. The dry hitch weight for a 2304 is 550 lbs and loaded will 100 to 200 higher with Wdh head/propane/battery etc. I would guess 2305 to be the same. This reduces payload in TT All the best in your search
Thank you for the information. I'm a little confused. A weight distribution kit? What is that exactly? My assumption is that it takes some of the weight off the tongue weight? Is that the same thing as an anti-sway bar? Obviously pulling a pop-up we didn't need these things, so I'm clueless. We at least have a break box, but after installation, bought a camper without breaks, so never used it.
+ 1 canoe (with fishing equipment)
+ 1 yellow lab
A great time had by all!!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurley View Post
We are in the same boat with TV. We have a Nissan Frontier and considering a Surveyor weighing 4200lbs. The Frontier has a 6300lb capacity
Nice. That gives you lots of room to play with. We live in the mountains and are very hesitant to buy anything with a GVWR over our limit of 5050
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 10-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #16

Quote:
A weight distribution kit? What is that exactly? My assumption is that it takes some of the weight off the tongue weight?
A weight distribution hitch will move some of the added weight from the tv rear axle to the tv front axle. It will help with sway, but the main need for this is if the front axle is too light. (If you have the front end of tv "floating")

Quote:
Is that the same thing as an anti-sway bar?.
No, anti sway bar (aka friction sway control) is a flat piece of steel sandwiched between two steel plates with brake like materiel on the surface. It mounts to the hitch on the tv and tongue or A frame of the tt. It helps stop or minimize sway after it starts.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
A weight distribution hitch will move some of the added weight from the tv rear axle to the tv front axle. It will help with sway, but the main need for this is if the front axle is too light. (If you have the front end of tv "floating")

No, anti sway bar (aka friction sway control) is a flat piece of steel sandwiched between two steel plates with brake like materiel on the surface. It mounts to the hitch on the tv and tongue or A frame of the tt. It helps stop or minimize sway after it starts.
Would you guess we'd need both of these things?
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #18

We use the E2 equalizer which is a 2point WDH system . Very easy to install and doesnt require drilling into the A frame. My trailer is single axle with GVWR 3704 so dont need the Equalizer 4 point system. WDH distributes weight so both TT and front axle of TV have increased weight when properly setup. The payload on 1/2 tons is usually weak point, next GAWR. I would suggest loading your TV as if your going camping and take trip to the local scale. Subtract this weight from your TV GVWR to determine max TT you can handle. Lots of good info on WDH types & towing on this forum.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Would you guess we'd need both of these things?
If it were me, with a Sport Track pulling a TT, yes I would get a WDH and sway control. Which brand or what type set up I would get would depend on my pocket book. They all seem to work if set up correctly.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #20

just reread my last post and it requires more explanation! The payload in your Sport Trac is around 1390 dependent on options ordered. If you weighed the Sport Trac ready for camping and subtracted from TV GVWR you would get the unused payload. Hitch weight should be 10 to 15% of TT weight. Use 12% to calculate max TT weight. The GCWR (combined weight of TT+TV) cant be exceeded so something else to consider. You will be surprised how fast your payload is used up by adding misc items in bed of TV. (bbq,leveling wood,chairs,tools,rug etc). Lots to consider but you have time to make best decision. Have fun.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH

Tags
mini lite rockwood, wildwood