Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #1

New & Question about Basement Storage!

Hello!
New to posting to this forum but have REALLY enjoyed reading your posts for some time, have learned a lot.
During the next couple of years I will be graduating to full-timing (as a solo except for many assorted cats and dog), looking at --ok drooling over--the Sierra/Sandpiper 35 Loft Tree House fifth wheel to start, then sometime after that a motor coach, hopefully a Dynamax. Since Forest River just acquired Dynamax, it will all be in the same family! (CANNOT WAIT to begin the RV life, but I must...oh well).
Anyway, one thing I wonder about, especially with full-timing, is what exactly does everyone carry in their basement storage compartments which has made the manufacturers increase the size of them so greatly over the years? (Our ancient family motor home had a small storage compartment for a toolbox, that was about it-what wouldn't fit was the massive pile of cuss words my dad used when he had to use the toolbox, it was raining, the door to the compartment would stick AND the tool he wanted wasn't in the box after all...)
I intend to house batteries for solar power, hoses, some tools, extra kitty litter, but what else do you other full-timers pack those sometimes huge spaces with? I'd prefer most of my stuff inside where I could reach it, so maybe if you chime in with what you pack in there (not including bodies of exes), I'd look at that storage option with different eyes.
I hope to ask a billion or so more questions, and look forward to the wise as well as the wise-cracking answers!
Thank you!
Gypsy Wytch
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #2

to the forum! We are not full timers, just recreational users, but with a family of four, my front compartment is packed with lawn chairs, fire wood, ground mats, tools, leveling blocks, chocks, tools, supplies, batteries, etc.

Hope all works out for you and your dreams become reality.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #3

water hose, a spare sewer hose, lawn chairs, an ac/dc freezer (between the landing gear), sat dome (automatic), tools, rubber gloves, jack & lug wrench, grill, charcoal, electric charcoal lighter, 10' folding ladder, chocks, (shims in bed of truck), soon to remove pin stablizer, awning latch release, dirty clothes, hand saw, 4" sewer coupling, duck tape, electric (bat op) markers for when i stop on the side of the road, fishing pole & luers, spare 14X14 cover, drill w/bits, a couple tubes of the special caulk + gun,

in the tool box inside the trailer, assorted tools and screwdrivers, lense (filters) for rear light and a couple side marker lights, spare sewer cap, spare cargo door latches (the ones that hold them open), hot water heater element and tool to change it with, an assortment of fuses, a few stainless steal screws of varying lengths. i would probably find a few other things if i actually cleaned it out.
when i cleaned out my older trailer (1992-2002), i had accumulated something to fix every problem that i had had. very little of that made it to the new one...thought it would be trouble free sense new. that didn't work out, i have started accumulating again although problems are different.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote